• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
4 4

347 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bugfarm said:

Hey Guys.  Looks like I’m late to the party.  Some beautiful books  and really cool posts so far.  I’ve collected WT for awhile now (still around 12 issues short of a full run.  Here are some older ones.

9EB74307-E0BD-464B-805D-DD02FDB56A88.jpeg

8E422373-20AC-433E-94CE-324BB940A279.jpeg

That's two of the four I need right there! :cry:

lol Great stuff, and thanks for posting!

I’m looking to purchase this Weird Tales and it has some type of tape or bond paper on the spine. Seller says it’s probably holding it together. I have never bought a pulp before and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are about this and if I should pass and wait for one with more structural integrity.

72740E95-D930-48E8-99B7-936F352D43FE.png

62F71292-DD4D-4EFB-B026-382E22E5A4F0.png

2EF00B49-A7F6-464C-8518-566E11746351.png

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

I’m looking to purchase this Weird Tales and it has some type of tape or bond paper on the spine. Seller says it’s probably holding it together. I have never bought a pulp before and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are about this and if I should pass and wait for one with more structural integrity.

72740E95-D930-48E8-99B7-936F352D43FE.png

62F71292-DD4D-4EFB-B026-382E22E5A4F0.png

2EF00B49-A7F6-464C-8518-566E11746351.png

It looks to me like the covers were removed from the book, glued onto some other paper, and then wrapped around the book. You can just about see the actual IFC and IBC through the paper. It also looks like it might be trimmed; hard to tell from the picture angles.  Original spine appears completely gone.

With all that said, the paper quality looks good, the cover does look original if modified, and it's the first Conan cover appearance... so I would probably buy it if the price was cheap enough.  But it would need to be pretty darn cheap; MAYBE 50-100 dollars at most.  Just be aware you would be buying what even I would consider a placeholder copy; albeit a nicer looking one than usual. 

Edited by OtherEric
spotted typos when RedFury quoted me

20 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

It looks to me like the covers were removed from the book, glued onto some other paper, and then wrapped around the book. You can just about see the actual IFC and IBC through the paper. It also looks like it might be trimmed; hard to tell from the picture angles.  Original spine appears completely gone.

With all that said, the paper quality looks good, the cover does look original if modified, and it's the first Conan cover appearance... so I filler.would probably buy it if the price was cheap enough.  But it would need to be pretty darn cheap; MAYBE 50-100 dollars at most.  Just be aware you would buy buying what even I would consider a placeholder copy; albeit a nicer looking one than usual. 

Agree with everything Eric said.

Personally I would wait for a better copy.  Maybe a complete Fair or Good copy with no work done to it?  I think those could be found in the $100 to $250 range.

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

With all that said, the paper quality looks good, the cover does look original if modified, and it's the first Conan cover appearance... so I would probably buy it if the price was cheap enough.  But it would need to be pretty darn cheap; MAYBE 50-100 dollars at most.  Just be aware you would be buying what even I would consider a placeholder copy; albeit a nicer looking one than usual. 

Thanks @OtherEric and @RedFury. I knew I would get great advice in this thread. This would be my 1st pulp buy and coming here for guidance is exactly what I needed as I venture into a new genre of collecting for me.

He’s looking for $250.00 so I’m going to pass as I’m looking for a book with no restoration of any kind. Low grade is fine as long as it’s complete with no restoration. 

On 11/5/2020 at 2:27 PM, RedFury said:

This is not a Weird Tales, obviously, but it is important to the history of Weird Tales.  It's the first issue of Detective Tales, the older, sister publication to Weird Tales.  Rural Publishing released this in Oct 1922, and the following year expanded the line to include Weird Tales (Apr 1923).  This is a super-rare pulp and I've been looking for a copy for about 5 years.

Detective Tales, Oct 1922 (#1)

7DfOjYZh.jpg

You would think this would be worth a fortune 🤪🤣😷

That Detective Tales is insane. The recent Heritage auction had a bunch of Weird Tales. I felt like the realized prices were strong but still with a lot more room to grow when compared to the crazy comic book prices. I hope with Rick being there now we will see more pulps in upcoming auctions. 

Wow some beautiful copies in this thread. I rarely saw these at the flea markets of my youth and if I did they were beat to death like the only two copies I own below. I picked these up because of the HP Lovecraft tale in one and they were probably all of a buck or something. Their condition always annoyed me and probably deterred me from looking for others over the years. I'm amazed at the condition of some in this thread.

Here's a question. Was this title sold openly on the newstand or was it a title that had to be kept behind the counter? Some of the covers are pretty racy and border on what I would imagine was acceptable at the time.

1370776913_WeirdTales.thumb.jpg.61fd09598fb156eff68047bdabfdfe4c.jpg

28 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's a question. Was this title sold openly on the newstand or was it a title that had to be kept behind the counter? Some of the covers are pretty racy and border on what I would imagine was acceptable at the time.

It was over the counter, except in rural communities, where the covers would often be considered too lurid.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:16 PM, Xaltotun said:

And another one, which is a bit special in terms of provenance

Weird Tales - 1936-12 - 1.jpg

Weird Tales - 1936-12 - 2.jpg

Weird Tales - 1936-12 - 3.jpg

Weird Tales - 1936-12 - 4.jpg

That is really freaking cool.  I know it's blasphemy, but I like this St. John cover better than most of the Brundage ones.