• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
5 5

367 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 4:07 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Weird tales above reminds me of House of Mystery number one issue‼️👍😷

Good catch, Foggy!  I think you're right but I've never seen it mentioned before.

(Composite image created from two images swiped from the internet, I don't own either book:)

Comp.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
particularly embarassing typo

On 9/11/2021 at 8:30 AM, rjpb said:

I wouldn't call that a swipe, there aren't the specific compositional similarities you get when one artist is copying another. More like the Brundage cover could have been an inspiration, and maybe not even a conscious one.  

I would agree that inspired is more accurate than swiped, but I also think there are enough similarities that it's very probably a deliberate inspiration rather than unconscious.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:04 PM, RedFury said:

Wolves and women were a common cover theme.

lB8Jc0el.jpgsvSUtY9l.jpgpYp2Z3dl.jpgWVko44fl.jpgZS95PFMl.jpgdl8GCSwl.jpgrUnHtkgl.jpgIQo19vMl.jpg

I can only imagine what it was like when you folks were dropping a hundred and fifty on these and wondering if you were overpaying... if maybe something was wrong :bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/12/2021 at 8:21 PM, jimjum12 said:

I can only imagine what it was like when you folks were dropping a hundred and fifty on these and wondering if you were overpaying... if maybe something was wrong :bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Ah, the good ol' days!  I miss them.  Yeah, I used to wonder why no one else was going after this stuff.  I feel like competition was light for years.  Different story now.

On 11/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, Pulpvault said:

I'm scanning some pulps today, so thought I'd scan a few Weird Tales issues.  I've been fortunate to have had, over time, around a half dozen of each of these issues, so have been able to keep upgrading for condition.

weird tales 1923 03 v1n1.jpg

weird tales 1932 12.jpg

weird tales 1933 10.jpg

weird tales spines.jpg

Holy Cow!  The spine and front cover of your 3/23 are incredibly clean.  Amazing books!