• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be a Crime not to post your Detective Pulps
6 6

291 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Strange Detective Mysteries, Mar 1943

Here's another Strange Detective Mysteries...this series sure had a lot of great covers!

I absolutely love this invisible man cover.  I've had a low grade copy in my collection as a place-holder for years.  Well, patience has paid off and I finally found a real nice and clean high-grade copy, and boy does it pop!

QI0R5yFh.jpg

Even his gloves are white  (thumbsu

On 12/9/2020 at 5:26 PM, Scrooge said:

DFbi-W - March 1942 - by this time, the magazine has shifted away from being a pure pulp and has a more true crime vibe and contains less fiction ... but can still pack a punch on the cover - It is bedsheet size and now bi-weekly rather than weekly.

786018871_DFW-March71942.thumb.jpg.b16406b5a069b50612b3be03a8901f40.jpg

Wow‼️‼️Great cover ( not for the faint hearted though) lol 

21 hours ago, rjpb said:

I've wanted a Raymond Chandler pulp for a while, either a Black Mask or a Dime Detective, and managed to win this in last month's CC auction for what I thought was a decent price. While not as in demand as his Black Mask issues (which are earlier), the Dime's have great covers, this being one of the more gruesome, and it also contains Red Wind, probably the most often collected of his short stories. 

Of course, in typical CC fashion it took a few weeks to arrive, and fingers were crossed the PQ would be decent, as CC doesn't list page condition in their pulp auctions. Fortunately, while cream, they are supple with no chips or flaking, and I look forward reading this story in the original format.

dimedetectiveJan38.thumb.jpg.08ac9c967886ea077a3a3627a0180971.jpg

One of my all time top pulps.  Congrats!

13 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I understand that impulse.  I went for a somewhat easier target, though.  This one has the first appearance of "The Bronze Door" by Chandler:

Unknown_1939_11.jpg

That's the one Chandler story I've never read, I guess its more of a fantasy piece set in the UK, and not his usual hardboiled L.A. crime story, and thus rarely collected with his other stuff. I should probably read it just to see how he handles another genre.  In addition to his Black Mask/ Dime Detective output he wrote one crime story each for Detective Fiction Weekly , Street & Smith's Detective Story Magazine and The Saturday Evening Post, which I gather are somewhat more affordable than his Black Mask and DD pulps.

2 minutes ago, rjpb said:

That's the one Chandler story I've never read, I guess its more of a fantasy piece set in the UK, and not his usual hardboiled L.A. crime story, and thus rarely collected with his other stuff. I should probably read it just to see how he handles another genre.  In addition to his Black Mask/ Dime Detective output he wrote one crime story each for Detective Fiction Weekly , Street & Smith's Detective Story Magazine and The Saturday Evening Post, which I gather are somewhat more affordable than his Black Mask and DD pulps.

If you just want to read the issue, it's at the Internet archive:

https://archive.org/details/Unknown_v02n03_1939-11_PDF_unz.org

The copy they have was scanned from the "Weeks collection", has anybody else ever heard of that?  I've got several issues from it, they turn up all over the Puget Sound region it seems.

I'm actually just starting to read some more Chandler, gathering up some books so I'm ready to go soon:

Pocket_0212.jpg

Pocket_0389.jpg

Pocket_4001.jpg

I love the cover art to that edition of Farewell My Lovely. Just recently dug up some of my old Candler paperbacks to reread them, it's been long enough that I'd forgotten much of the plots, so it's almost like reading them for the first time.

7 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Detective Action Stories was a title that never stuck.  It ran from 1930-32, then was revived in 1936 for another 9 issues before folding for good in 1937.  Right before the end are some covers by Charles De Feo, including this three issue set from Apr-May, Jun-Jul, and Aug-Sep 1937.  I love these!

CbIGLxGl.jpgrBjNlSfl.jpg Z4XB6Nnl.jpg

As always, very nice!