• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be a Crime not to post your Detective Pulps
6 6

305 posts in this topic

My second Raymond Chandler pulp, and the last time he did a story directly for the pulps ( September 1941), unless you count the posthumous publication of "Wrong Pigeon" in the Feb 1960 issue of Manhunt, which was a digest. Elements of the story "No Crime in the Mountains" was later incorporated into the novel "The Lady in the Lake".

detstory941.thumb.jpg.bc08f7362fbd628ee73f09e3aed76c75.jpg

On 11/3/2021 at 9:04 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Beautiful colors glossy , ‼️‼️ Nice orange tints😷👍‼️ What a stunner🎶🎶

Thanks! To me it's done in his 'Blaine' signed works style, the woman here just isn't as provocative as they usually are portrayed on those works. 

On 11/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, sagii said:

Thanks! To me it's done in his 'Blaine' signed works style, the woman here just isn't as provocative as they usually are portrayed on those works. 

Amazing they are not worth more🏆

The costumed hero, The Black Hood, started off in comics in 1940, but he also appeared in three issues of his own pulp (Black Hood Detective, retitled Hooded Detective after the first issue) from the Columbia pulp chain in 1941 and 1942.  In 1941 and 1942, the stories were reprinted in the Canadian pulp, Sure-Fire Detective, with the covers repainted based on the American covers.  Two of the three Canadian issues feature the Black Hood on the cover, which I'll post here.

Sure-Fire Detective 1942 06 Black Hood.jpg

Sure-Fire Detective 1942 08 Black Hood.jpg

Edited by Pulpvault

The other Black Hood pulp story was reprinted in the December 1941 issue of the Canadian pulp, Sure-Fire Detective, though this time the Black Hood didn't nab the cover. The cover itself, by artist Harold Bennett, was a swipe of a cover by H.J. Ward, which had appeared two months earlier on the October 1941 issue of Spicy Mystery.

Sure-Fire Detective 1941 12 Black Hood.jpg

Spicy Mystery 1941 10 Ward.jpg

• Administrator
On 2/8/2022 at 10:31 PM, Mollard said:

I’m new here. Does anyone have any Canadian printed Detective pulps or magazines they would want to part with? I only collect Canadian printed.

You need to start a WTB thread.  

On 2/10/2022 at 2:27 PM, FoggyNelson said:

that is a wild eyed girl in the Detective above mag

It is said that HJ Ward used his wife as a model for most of his female cover subjects. I would love to see a picture of her. His life story is very interesting. Very similar to Matt Baker, he was a talented artist with respect to the female form and he also, similar to Baker, died at a very young age. I believe he worked for 6 years as a cover artist before being drafted into the war. Fortunately for us, he was a very busy guy and was able to crank out approximately 50 covers per year in that short time period, so he has a large and beautiful frame of work.

David Saunders of Illustrated Press published a very nice large format volume on Ward. Tons of great illustrations and a full length bio, pics of his wife etc. It might be Out-Of-Print now. If not, you can  probably get it on Amazon from the publisher or from Bud Plant.

On 2/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, Book Guy said:

David Saunders of Illustrated Press published a very nice large format volume on Ward. Tons of great illustrations and a full length bio, pics of his wife etc. It might be Out-Of-Print now. If not, you can  probably get it on Amazon from the publisher or from Bud Plant.

Yes, I've had one on my watch list for a while. Kind of embarrassing, as much as I love Ward, it's nearly the only coffee table book I don't own. I'll probably change that right nowish. Thanks.