• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp/GA Comic Cover Swipes!!!
3 3

39 posts in this topic

Just now, Kihei Comics said:

So cool! I have those Ghost 1 and I never realized blue ribbon copies it, the cracks on the buildings are identical.

Yes, it's subtle and not apparent at first glance.  But when you study it, you'll see several individual swipes: three identical buildings (re-arranged), the giant hands, and the people in the hand.

37 minutes ago, Kihei Comics said:

Some of the most classic and drooled over cover art of GA Comics was actually swiped from pulp magazines! These have been some of my favorite discoveries while collecting pulps is finding these original covers that were later used in comic books!

Lets use this thread to share our discoveries and get credit back to the originals!

I am starting with this cool Breezy Stories/Spirit 22 swipe!

unnamed.jpg

@Kihei Comics So i'm sure you have noticed the flurry of Breezy Stories on eBay recently with Enoch Bolles covers and the aggressive bidding on them. Some of the issues were rolled out 'twice' (30's and 40's editions, but with the 40's editions having a different cover price and sometimes altered cover story blurbs (like said example, of which i have a copy of the 40's example also).

Using this book with this classic cover as an example, do you think there would be a great disparity in value in regards to 30's and 40's editions with the cover?

1 minute ago, sagii said:

@Kihei Comics So i'm sure you have noticed the flurry of Breezy Stories on eBay recently with Enoch Bolles covers and the aggressive bidding on them. Some of the issues were rolled out 'twice' (30's and 40's editions, but with the 40's editions having a different cover price and sometimes altered cover story blurbs (like said example, of which i have a copy of the 40's example also).

Using this book with this classic cover as an example, do you think there would be a great disparity in value in regards to 30's and 40's editions with the cover?

Oh yea I have bought a few of them! The originals I feel should be worth more of course but honestly either copy is tough enough and in solid condition if worth the money. The weird thing about my copy is even the stories are the same they would usually reuse the artwork and at least add new stories but this is essentially just a reprint from the 40's!

24 minutes ago, detective35 said:

‘All Star #3”  - December 1940.  /   The Shadow - “The Lone Tiger” -  Feb. 15, 1939

70ADB658-A850-4EAC-B31D-BE96E221540F.jpeg

741245B0-90CB-4BE0-AD47-2F6473823C6F.jpeg

Another one i didn't know was a swipe :applause: