• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thrilling, Amazing, Startling, Wonder-ful Future of Science Fiction Pulps
7 7

124 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2021 at 11:42 PM, OtherEric said:

Would normally throw this in the Pound you to a Pulp thread, but since it's something of a follow-up to the covers above, I'll stick it here.  In today:

FFM_1951_05.jpg

What is the date?

On 7/3/2021 at 3:24 PM, OtherEric said:

May 1951.  It's one of the bigger than a digest, smaller than a pulp issues like the Jan and Mar 51 issues on the previous page.

You come up with some nice obscuremags an pulps👍😷

Among the pulps that will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL) from the estate of Bob Weinberg will be in a complete set of the classic space opera pulp, Planet Stories. This beautiful issue, dated Spring 1949, is one of 'em. Clear ether!

Planet Stories 1949 Spring.jpg

The strongest early competitor to Weird Tales was the pulp, Strange Tales, which ran for seven issues between September 1931 and January 1933. A complete set of Strange Tales will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL) from the estate of Bob Weinberg. Here's the copy of the first issue which will be in the auction, with a classic cover by Hans Wesso and stories by authors such as Clark Ashton Smith and Ray Cummings. Smith's story in the issue, "The Return of the Sorcerer," would be reprinted in 1942 in the CAS Arkham House collection, "Out of Space and Time."

strange tales 1931 09.jpg

With the 2022 Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention rapidly approaching (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL), I thought I'd post this piece by the great Frank Kelly Freas, which was sold at our 2005 show.

The Saturday of that show, a guy walked in with a portfolio of SF art that he'd collected but now wanted to sell, all from Planet Stories. The good news was that he stopped at my table first. The bad news was that I wasn't at my table. So he went to the next table, where my friend Bob Weinberg was smart enough to be sitting, waiting for just such an opportunity. Bob quickly bought all of the art, which he was happy to show me when I returned to my table.

However, taking pity on me, Bob did sell me a few of the pieces that he'd just picked up, including this Freas, which ran in the March 1954 issue of Planet Stories for "Grandma Perkins and the Space Pirates" by James McConnell.

Freas Planet 1954 03 Grandma Perkins and the Space Pirates restored.jpg