• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two-Gun Bob's Saloon - The Pulps of Robert E. Howard
1 1

118 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, Xaltotun said:

And here is the last entry of the REH sports pulps, one which few people know of because the REH connection was only discovered a few years ago: a full page biographical letter, which, sadly, was published the very month Howard died. Dime Sports, June 1936

Dime Sports -1936-06.jpg

Is it possible to see a photo of the letter?

On 4/13/2021 at 4:08 PM, Xaltotun said:

They are really tough to come by, and even more so in nice condition. Same goes for Action Stories. Much more so than Weird Tales. My theory on this is that despite its low print run, WT was bought by the geeks and nerds of the time, natural-born collectors. Generic pulps were read and discarded or not cared for. I don't have any data to back this up, though. Just a hunch.

Do we actually have data of the print runs of WT and mags like Fight Stories to compare?

An alternative explanation is that WT became valuable in the 1960s, so people began looking for that title at used book stores, flea markets, etc., and left behind sports mags, which were deemed to have no value. The latter were thrown away in droves as they went unsold, making them far more scarce today. 

On 4/19/2021 at 10:46 AM, Xaltotun said:

Slowly rounding up the list of the Howard sports pulp, here is the first issue (of three), of the very short-lived Jack Dempsey's Fight Magazine, published in 1934. This first issue is quite uncommon.

Jack Dempsey_s Fight Magazine - 1934-05.jpg

Great boxing cover(worship)

On 2/26/2022 at 8:12 PM, frozentundraguy said:

My collection is a little light on Pulps, but I do have a copy of Avon Fantasy Reader #8, with the all too short story "Queen of the Black Coast" by Howard.

scan0539.jpg

Nice s I fi monster cover for its day‼️👍

On 8/18/2022 at 6:55 PM, RedFury said:

After about 10 years of looking, I finally found an item signed by Robert E. Howard!  It's a letter written February 15, 1936 to Emil Petaja, who was then only 20 and still years away from establishing himself as a pulp writer.  

It's an interesting letter that mentions Howard's mother's illness, "Witch's Bercuse", an early poem written by Petaja that was published in Marvel Tales in 1935, Weird Tales editor Farnsworth Wright, Howard's agent and fellow Weird Tales author Otis Adelbert Kline, Duane Rimel's linotype silhouette of Howard, and finally Lovecraft's last tale, The Haunter of the Dark

AdZ9ICfh.jpg

W3T19zrh.jpg

:whatthe: You're on a roll, my man. Acquiring this and the HPL letter to CAS at the same time. Respect.

On 8/19/2022 at 1:55 AM, RedFury said:

After about 10 years of looking, I finally found an item signed by Robert E. Howard!  It's a letter written February 15, 1936 to Emil Petaja, who was then only 20 and still years away from establishing himself as a pulp writer.  

It's an interesting letter that mentions Howard's mother's illness, "Witch's Bercuse", an early poem written by Petaja that was published in Marvel Tales in 1935, Weird Tales editor Farnsworth Wright, Howard's agent and fellow Weird Tales author Otis Adelbert Kline, Duane Rimel's linotype silhouette of Howard, and finally Lovecraft's last tale, The Haunter of the Dark

Ah, obviously! I was wondering who bought that. Congratulations!

I don't know if you knew this, but this is one of the letters we knew existed but no one I know had seen. Send me a high res scan when you get the chance! (Which makes me think *I* have something to send you. I'll do that this weekend).

I estimate there are about 60 to 80 Howard signatures out there in the private market. That's not a lot, so double congrats!

Our friendly neighborhood UPS man delivered a box earlier today containing over 90 issues of Weird Tales, from 1927 through 1940. These will be auctioned in the Saturday night auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 21-23, 2023 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL). Most are in great condition.

Here's one of 'em - the December 1932 issue featuring the first appearance of Robert E. Howard's immortal hero, Conan, in "The Phoenix on the Sword."

Weird Tales 1932 12 shot 1.jpg

Weird Tales 1932 12 shot 2.jpg

Here's another of the Weird Tales which arrived yesterday, which will be auctioned in the Saturday night auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 21-23, 2023 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL).

This one is the October 1933 issue, which among other tales features Robert E. Howard's Conan novelette, "The Pool of the Black One," as well as a reprint of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Festival" and Clark Ashton Smith's, "The Seed of the Sepulcher."

Weird Tales 1933 10 shot 1.jpg

Weird Tales 1933 10 shot 2.jpg