• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two-Gun Bob's Saloon - The Pulps of Robert E. Howard
1 1

118 posts in this topic

This one has a funny story to go with it. I obtained it with a bunch of credit slips issued by Howard's father. At first, I didn't notice anything special about it, and it was only when I scanned and catalogued it that I realized what it is. For this is more than Howard cashing a check: *he* signed the document "Robt Howard" (how many times have you seen a "Robt Howard" signature?).

But there's more. This is for a $100 check, deposited Sep 1. Howard sold two stories for that amount in 1929, and one was a boxing story for which we know he was paid in the spring at the latest. So... what was the other story? Well, it appeared in a mag that paid upon publication, not acceptance. Weird Tales. This is thus the deposit slip of his check for the story that had appeared in Weird Tales in August, "The Shadow Kingdom", no less!

Sep 1929 check deposit slip.jpg

Not a pulp, but close, Marvel Tales, Jul/Aug 1934. This came in two versions, and here is the bright orange one.

(Couldn't connect to the site for days. Did everything, on several machines and browsers. Eventually managed to connect via Tor, and once I was connected there, Firefox suddenly showed me as connected. Weird!!)

Marvel Tales - 1934-07+08.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun

8 hours ago, Xaltotun said:

Headed to Cross Plains, TX, for Howard Days. GoH this year is none other than Roy Thomas!

So great!  Have fun!  Say hello to Jeff for me! :foryou:

On 6/9/2021 at 5:55 PM, RedFury said:

So great!  Have fun!  Say hello to Jeff for me! :foryou:

Back in Austin now. It was lots of fun and good to see friends I hadn't seen in two years. Sadly, Jeff couldn't make it this year.

On 7/2/2021 at 4:02 AM, Xaltotun said:

Top-Notch, June 1935, with "Hawk of the Hills", by far the best of the El Borak stories. Doug Ellis owns the original art to this beautiful cover.

Top-Notch - 1935-06.jpg

Nice to see Robert be given the cover illustration for a change. Who is the artist?