• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about one little thread for vintage illustration art?
3 3

105 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2020 at 8:17 AM, glendgold said:

Cool idea.

I have very little of it, but what I do is mostly Gorey. The Loch Ness monster is a TV guide illo and the cops and robber is from PENNY CANDY.

gorey loch ness.jpg

gorey penny candy.jpg

I've never seen any Edward Gorey originals before, so thanks for sharing these!  They're both great and fun pieces.

3uCiPqdx_2603141323161.jpg.79de95a296c4341c64dbc09e2b1740ed.jpg

Artwork by Fortunino Matania

The Rainhill Trials changed the future of rail travel – and so changed the world – forever.

As I live in Rainhill, and admire Matania's artwork, this small illustration (image size of 5" x 7") was a must-have for my collection.
Some background information on the Rainhill Trials and Stephenson's Rocket . . .

"Before the growth of the railways in Britain the average person was born, lived and died within a radius of 15 miles. Within 20 years of the Trials, however, a network of railways had grown and it was possible for a working man to afford to travel from the north to London.

The Rainhill Trials were the first of many such tests but they were by far the most significant and decided two important facts: the first was that the steam locomotive had sufficient possibilities to be used on railways and, secondly, the Trials showed the way in which locomotives should be developed.

Thousands of people from across the country descended on Rainhill, near St.Helens, to see the very best of British engineering design compete to be the winner and claim the prize money of £500 – many thousands of pounds in today’s money.

The impact of what they witnessed would be felt for many decades to come."

On 10/6/2022 at 12:00 PM, The Voord said:

Large pencil conceptual drawing for the 1964 William Castle movie, THE NIGHT WALKER (one of my favorites) Interestingly, for the Demon at centre, the resulting movie posters added a pair of underpants for him to wear (no self-respecting demon should be seen in public without them!) and all the surrounding monster-types got censored-out of the printed poster. The artwork actually forms the basis of the movie's introductory title sequence.

g8R30I25_0803191007531gpadd.jpg

L7qHU90j_0803191010561gpaiadd.jpg

Interesting mashup of Fuseli’s “The Nightmare” and Goya’s “The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters.”

D2C10E34-DE2B-49ED-AFBF-495B2CE17E41.thumb.png.42d391bbc2fa2261f13fde89bd5aa762.png988D6EC4-D0F3-4CAA-B579-E77ECDCB1F19.thumb.jpeg.0372c5227ebe8313522713a074a1a0b9.jpeg