• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about one little thread for vintage illustration art?
3 3

105 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2022 at 8:33 AM, tth2 said:

The original Robert Peak painting used for the poster for the James Bond movie "Thunderball" sold for $275k on Heritage.  Also, an illustration by Garth Williams from "Charlotte's Web" went for $21,250.

Nope, not Bob Peak. 
Robert McGinnis  

On 10/8/2022 at 11:06 PM, artdealer said:
On 10/8/2022 at 8:33 PM, tth2 said:

The original Robert Peak painting used for the poster for the James Bond movie "Thunderball" sold for $275k on Heritage.  Also, an illustration by Garth Williams from "Charlotte's Web" went for $21,250.

Nope, not Bob Peak. 
Robert McGinnis  

Thanks, corrected now.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:21 PM, The Voord said:

I've a couple of McGinnis paintings in my collection.

First up . . .  THOSE LIPS, THOSE EYES (1980) movie poster painting (and printed poster for comparison):

emEhEGmn_1305201050541gpadd.jpg

Love that.  congrats.

Most of my movie art has been posted on an earlier specific thread, but as this one covers a broader range of vintage illustration art, I think the repetition is probably justified.

THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS is a 1949 British romantic drama film directed by David Lean. The film is based on The Passionate Friends: A Novel by H. G. Wells. It describes a love triangle in which a woman cannot give up her affair with another man. The film was entered into the 1949 Cannes Film Festival.

No idea who the artist is on this one but it's beautifully painted. I was gifted with this artwork in appreciation for a small favor I performed for a Spanish collector friend!

4.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Tom Chantrell’s original (prototype) movie poster painting for Elia Kazan’s 1969 movie, THE ARRANGEMENT. Despite turning in a nicely painted image for consideration to spearhead the UK cinema front-of-house advertising campaign, British distributors for this American-produced film opted to go the route of a photographic movie poster image and Chantrell’s artwork remained unused . I bought this painting from the Chantrell family, via their art agent.

2Rp8AgoV_1807171811121gpadd.jpg

Tom Chantrell's finished Movie Poster painting of the 1962 sword & sandals epic, THE 300 SPARTANS. Image measures approximately 28" x 21".
Essentially true story of how Spartan king Leonidas led an extremely small army of Greek Soldiers (300 of them his personal body guards from Sparta) to hold off an invading Persian army now thought to have numbered 250,000. The actual heroism of those who stood (and ultimately died) with Leonidas helped shape the course of Western Civilization, allowing the Greek city states time to organize an army which repelled the Persians. Set in 480 BC.
Extract from a Frank Miller interview (when questioned about his later retelling of the story): ". . . it was a product of my entire life. I’ve loved the story ever since I saw The 300 Spartans, starring Richard Egan, when I was a young kid in the ’60s, and I researched it as thoroughly as I could. It’s as pure a story of heroism as I could find. Our version would probably be the Alamo, in terms of the overwhelming size of the enemy."

IGnV0Dqk_1608181717101gpadd.jpg