• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about one little thread for vintage illustration art?
3 3

105 posts in this topic

An original movie campaign painting by Tom Chantrell for the unmade Hammer film, A SCENT OF NEW-MOWN HAY, circa 1969. Based on a book by John Blackburn, the story featured a Cold War setting and a deadly virus that transforms females into mutant beings. Chantrell's visualisation shows the mutation in process and in typical fashion (for both Chantrell & Hammer), the campaign artwork features some over-the-top nudity (that would never have been allowed on any kind of General Release material).
To help secure financial backing for proposed Hammer Films projects, artist Tom Chantrell would frequently be called-upon to create artworks that would best visualize the kind of movies they were looking to produce.
With a plot featuring Cold War intrigue, Nazi mad scientists, and a pandemic that threatens to destroy humanity by mutating people into fungoid monsters, it is not hard to see why A SCENT OF NEW-MOWN HAY (1958) became a bestseller on both sides of the Atlantic and an instant science-fiction classic.

jZcmaIqG_0110201640331sbpi.jpg

On 11/6/2022 at 5:22 AM, The Voord said:

An original movie campaign painting by Tom Chantrell for the unmade Hammer film, A SCENT OF NEW-MOWN HAY, circa 1969. Based on a book by John Blackburn, the story featured a Cold War setting and a deadly virus that transforms females into mutant beings. Chantrell's visualisation shows the mutation in process and in typical fashion (for both Chantrell & Hammer), the campaign artwork features some over-the-top nudity (that would never have been allowed on any kind of General Release material).
To help secure financial backing for proposed Hammer Films projects, artist Tom Chantrell would frequently be called-upon to create artworks that would best visualize the kind of movies they were looking to produce.
With a plot featuring Cold War intrigue, Nazi mad scientists, and a pandemic that threatens to destroy humanity by mutating people into fungoid monsters, it is not hard to see why A SCENT OF NEW-MOWN HAY (1958) became a bestseller on both sides of the Atlantic and an instant science-fiction classic.

jZcmaIqG_0110201640331sbpi.jpg

Reminds me of the movie Up for some reason.

🎈 🎈  

🏡 

On 10/29/2022 at 2:11 PM, brainbats said:

Catalog art for Valmor Products.  It's signed at the bottom, but I can't make out the signature - does anyone know who the artist is?

Valmor1.jpg

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2003-10-10-0310100335-story.html

I think this is it

He was a ground breaker

Edited by Westy Steve

On 7/14/2020 at 5:17 AM, glendgold said:

Cool idea.

I have very little of it, but what I do is mostly Gorey. The Loch Ness monster is a TV guide illo and the cops and robber is from PENNY CANDY.

gorey loch ness.jpg

gorey penny candy.jpg

Bloody fantastic!!!!!

I have been looking for a Gory, very hard to find. Congrats!!!

On 11/26/2022 at 8:24 PM, Monkeyman said:

John B. West (1905-1960) was an African American medical doctor who achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Army Medical Corps. during WWII.  For some reason he also wrote tough guy P.I. novels about Rocky Steele, a very white New York City private eye.  More info can be found here - https://thrillingdetective.com/2022/04/02/rocky-steele/.

Signet published the six Rocky Steele novels in paperback from 1959-1961 (the last five posthumously) and hired well-known artist Barye Philips to produce the covers.  I've managed to acquire two of the six covers.

Barye Phillips.jpg

Crazy about this one!  The stark lighting makes this one pop!

It's still in Heritage offices but I won this cover by Franco Accornero a few months ago.

I'm happy to own a romance cover as I try to have covers from most of the literary genres.

I tried identifying the book without success.

Any help appreciated.

lfredux.jpg

I don’t have much illustration art, but when I saw this at auction I had to have it. It’s a Sunday Minneapolis Tribune cover from 1946 by Oz Black.

I’m always on the hunt for newspaper-related pieces, and not only does this fit the bill but it’s from the paper I currently work for. 

Scans of the color guide and printed product are on my CAF. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1892275

image.jpeg