• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Elusive, Weird World of Pulp Premiums

46 posts in this topic

Even though it’s more radio, than pulp the piece below does pertain to “The Shadow”.

Just picked up a cornerstone piece for my Shadow collection!   I think I way, way overpaid for it, but for my collection, I had to have it!

A huge (7.5ft x 3ft) Shadow Blue Coal Radio Banner (circa. 1937).   The banner is made from a heavy nylon/canvas material!

- The 1937 episodes of The Shadow were Sponsored by Blue Coal.

Through research I believe that the banner would have been hung somewhere close to the stage (or behind the actors) in the WOR studios, where the live performances were carried out!

At this time, Orson Welles would’ve played the The Shadow on the radio during these live performances.

277DDBC2-A566-42A7-A63B-942361B938A9.jpeg

On 1/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, Pulpvault said:

Here's a felt change pad that the Clayton pulp chain distributed to newsstands circa 1927.  Given how fragile the felt is, I suspect that few of these have survived.  This is the only one I've ever seen, but it wouldn't surprise me if other pulp publishers also issued these.

clayton change pad.JPG

Wow, some super rare, probably one of a kind items. How did you ever come across them? 

A combination of lots of looking, and having friends who know what I collect who alert me when they find stuff like this.  The sculpture I got at auction; the felt change pad I got in a trade with a friend, who'd found it and did a trade with the other collector who had it.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:42 PM, detective35 said:

I was very fortunate to pick up this rare 1940 Shadow Cardboard a Advertising sign.  

Many of these advertising signs nearly one of a kind as most have been destroyed.

This one is 10 1/2” x 22” and is cardboard.

It is the only known example!

I now have 19 original Shadow advertising signs in the 1930s and 40s.

I will post a better picture when I get it properly framed etc.

00370086-E414-43C7-BB09-B96CDF297FE2.jpeg

Too 😎 cool