• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE BAD BATCH (2021)
1 1

134 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I loved me a good Rebels prequel. 

Rebels is still my favorite out of the four animated shows and it NARROWLY beats Clone Wars.  

BTW... I went to Disney+ for the Bad Batch.  I hung around all day mesmerized by the Secrets of Whales on the Nat Geo wing of the platform. 

https://www.disneyplus.com/series/secrets-of-the-whales/3aHpgjYaJTM5

I absolutely love Hera (and Sabine), so it's great that we're getting Hera's "origin".  I liked the short exchange between her and Omega.  When Omega says "I thought you were in trouble", you could see the bigger picture begin to dawn on Hera.  It was also great to see the interaction between her and her mother (Eleni).  I can't remember if we saw Eleni in Clone Wars, but I know by the time of Rebels, she's already long dead.  It does make me wonder if that moment at the end where she orders Chopper to escape with Hera is the last time Hera see's her mother.  Or even worst, if the showrunners plan to kill off Hera's mother later on in the season.  I'm not sure if I can handle such heartbreak.

Also, Captain Howzer seemed pretty cool and he seemed sympathetic to Cham.  He was also hesitant to follow some of the orders.  Kinda hoping that since no Jedi are involved, maybe he's able to resist the inhibitor chip.  Or maybe something happened that damaged the chip (since there was some clear scarring on his face).

I know a common complaint is that so many of the stories seem to interweave the same old characters.  But I for one love seeing the continuation of stories of these well established characters.

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I absolutely love Hera (and Sabine), so it's great that we're getting Hera's "origin".  I liked the short exchange between her and Omega.  When Omega says "I thought you were in trouble", you could see the bigger picture begin to dawn on Hera.  It was also great to see the interaction between her and her mother (Eleni).  I can't remember if we saw Eleni in Clone Wars, but I know by the time of Rebels, she's already long dead.  It does make me wonder if that moment at the end where she orders Chopper to escape with Hera is the last time Hera see's her mother.  Or even worst, if the showrunners plan to kill off Hera's mother later on in the season.  I'm not sure if I can handle such heartbreak.

Also, Captain Howzer seemed pretty cool and he seemed sympathetic to Cham.  He was also hesitant to follow some of the orders.  Kinda hoping that since no Jedi are involved, maybe he's able to resist the inhibitor chip.  Or maybe something happened that damaged the chip (since there was some clear scarring on his face).

I know a common complaint is that so many of the stories seem to interweave the same old characters.  But I for one love seeing the continuation of stories of these well established characters.

Yeah, this made me smile today. 

What I found interesting was that even though Hera speaks with an accent that is slightly different than what we are accustomed to, it was the same voice actress that portrayed her in Rebels. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 7.47.33 PM.png

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

What I found interesting was that even though Hera speaks with an accent that is slightly different than what we are accustomed to, it was the same voice actress that portrayed her in Rebels. 

I was pretty surprised to find out it was the same voice actress.  Even minus the accent, it didn't sound close to Hera's voice in Rebels.  Great range by the actress and great job by the team to maintain continuity like this.

Here's a clip of grown up Hera using the Twi'lek accent.

Thrawn Exposes Hera's True Identity [1080p] - YouTube

I don't know how this episode played with those unfamiliar with Rebels, but I loved it! So much awesome fan service while also advancing the story behind the origins of the rebellion.

If you look at the history behind major events, inventions or movements in world history, there seems to always be a crossing of the paths between players at some point in their lives. It's cool to see this play out here, too.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:27 PM, ExNihilo said:

I was pretty surprised to find out it was the same voice actress.  Even minus the accent, it didn't sound close to Hera's voice in Rebels.  Great range by the actress and great job by the team to maintain continuity like this.

Here's a clip of grown up Hera using the Twi'lek accent.

Thrawn Exposes Hera's True Identity [1080p] - YouTube

It also comes out seamlessly when she's arguing with her father in Rebels. Filoni put a lot of thought into that relationship. It's similar to when people move away from where they grew up and lose their accent, only for it to come back when they are around friends, family, or drunk.

Lots of good stuff in the most recent episode. A few origin stories of characters and concepts going on. Curious about how the ending plays out into the next episode. There was something about the previous episode that made me think 

Spoiler

Crosshair may be coming around.

doubtful, though.

Edge of my seat now.

Spoiler

I had a feeling Crosshair got his chip removed. Could really tell in this episode by all the side shots of his head. 

Also, season two was confirmed this week. I feel like season twos are when Filoni and team really hit the ground running. It felt like  the first seasons of Clone Wars and Rebels cleaned up loose ends and set the world for what Filoni’s vision was. 

On 8/13/2021 at 6:18 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Really liked the way they closed out the season. It wasn’t so much of an ending but a “sit back and enjoy where this is going,” type finale. Especially, the final scene. 

My only complaint is I wish they had let AZI die.  One of the great things about Clone Wars is they weren't afraid to kill off side characters in emotional ways.  I would have much preferred if Omega had tried and failed to save AZI so we can see her deal with grief and loss on a personal level.

Also, no way Crosshair can see that deep in murky water, let alone accurately when the waves are moving.  Never mind the fact that the resistance created by water would have stopped the grapple about six feet into the water.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:27 PM, ExNihilo said:

My only complaint is I wish they had let AZI die.  One of the great things about Clone Wars is they weren't afraid to kill off side characters in emotional ways.  I would have much preferred if Omega had tried and failed to save AZI so we can see her deal with grief and loss on a personal level.

Also, no way Crosshair can see that deep in murky water, let alone accurately when the waves are moving.  Never mind the fact that the resistance created by water would have stopped the grapple about six feet into the water.

Totally agree and I was thinking the same thing during that series of events. Yeah, Clone Wars had no issues letting side characters die, and it helped convey how real the stakes were in that world. I loved Rebels, but one of the complaints for most of the series was that there were hardly ever any consequences to their exploits. Of course, that all changed as we got closer to the end of the series, but it was a common criticism.

Time will tell which formula Filoni follows or if he meshes the two. I'm just glad we get another season to find out.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 8/16/2021 at 6:36 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I loved Rebels, but one of the complaints for most of the series was that there were hardly ever any consequences to their exploits. Of course, that all changed as we got closer to the end of the series, but it was a common criticism.

So I started watching Clone Wars last year before season 7 premiered because I was curious to know who this "Ahsoka" was after fans were hyped up about the rumors of her appearance in Mandalorian.  Needless to say, I loved the show and then proceeded to watch Rebels.  And I remember thinking the same exact thing while watching Rebels - that there weren't any consequences.  I texted my friend my thoughts, sat down to watch the next episode, and then...well, you're aware of what happens.  I just sat there mouth agape for a few seconds like "did that just happen?"

This week’s episode was great. I always knew Filoni would bring back the Zillo beast somehow. I think the ending is a jumping off point for where this series goes. 

Really feels like they are going to cut ties with Cid soon and the focus will be what transpired in the final minutes of this week’s episode. Jimmi Simpson’s Dr. Hemlock was top notch  

Honestly, that feels like Filoni’s MO. Make a season and a half of fun stuff to get people invested in the characters and then dive right into the hardcore SW stuff. Rebels did this very well. 

Edited by awakeintheashes