• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do members here produce their *own* art?

172 posts in this topic

I've enjoy painting since I was at school i guess, but somehow all my life I've been unable to start do it  often. I always had something else to do. In quarantine, I kind of remembered this childhood dream of learning how to paint and began to create arts with paint pens, as it seemed the best tool for me. I rarely share my work, but think I could start an Instagram and share my works there. All in all, I think the main thing is to believe that it's never too late to start ahah

New OUTER LIMITS sculpture completed.  This is the unused prop version of Chill Charlie from 'The Human Factor'.  He stands at about 12" tall.  Following photo selection shows my process from start to finish.  Also included is a shot of the original prop.

Day 1.jpg

Day 2.jpg

Day 3.jpg

Day 4.jpg

Day 5.jpg

Day 6a.jpg

Day 6b.jpg

Day 7.jpg

Day 8.jpg

Day 12.jpg

Finish 1.jpg

Finish 2.jpg

Finish 3.jpg

Finish 4.jpg

Primer 5.jpg

Edited by The Voord

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

That frost / frozen in ice look may be hard to match.  Your most challenging project yet ??

Not really.  The photos don't really bring out the textures I applied.

I wasn't quite happy with my first finish so did some revisions. I softened some of the grey shadow areas and re-painted the mouth cavity adding some epoxy . . . to make more of a match with the eye sockets. Should show a slight improvement (sometimes I re-work things after a few days when I come back with a fresh eye).

Finish 1a.jpg

Finish 1b.jpg

Finish 1c.jpg

Finish 1d.jpg

On 7/29/2021 at 1:18 AM, Will_K said:

How did you determine the eye would fit adequately ?  I could see that if it was too small, you'd get a "beady eye" which might look comical on the Helosian.

Oops, sorry for the late response, I missed your post.  The eyes are pre-made, available in various sizes on eBay (I just insert them from inside the bust prior to foam-filling..  They look perfect and save me a paint job trying to make them look convincing!

Latest sculpting project finished . . . full-size bust Andro from the OUTER LIMITS episode, 'The Man Who Was Never Born'. My display copy is the brown version and the spare copy I keep has been painted green (because the original series was in b&w paint-schemes can go in any direction). The hair piece is a cheap wig I bought off eBay. Included in the selection of photos is the process involved from start to finish on sculpting in clay, to making a mold, to casting copies. Have also included a couple of screen-captures from the filmed episode for comparison.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

j.jpg

k.jpg

l.jpg

m.jpg

n.jpg

o.jpg

p.jpg

q.jpg

Another sculpting project now completed. This is my full-size bust of an alien Draconian from the 1973 Jon Pertwee Dr Who adventure, 'Frontier in Space. He stands about 15" tall.  Sculpting and casting processes included in the photo selection . . . along with a screen-capture from the televised story for comparison (though my version is not based on any one alien character as there were a bunch of them in the story):

Day 1.jpg

Day 2.jpg

Day 3.jpg

Day 4a.jpg

Day 4b.jpg

Day 4c.jpg

Day 4d.jpg

Day 5a.jpg

Day 5b.jpg

Day 5c.jpg

Day 6.jpg

Day 10a.jpg

Day 10b.jpg

Day 10c.jpg

Day 10d.jpg

Day 10e.jpg

Day 10f.jpg

Day 10g.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by The Voord

On 8/31/2021 at 6:05 PM, The Voord said:

Another sculpting project now completed. This is my full-size bust of an alien Draconian from the 1973 Jon Pertwee Dr Who adventure, 'Frontier in Space. He stands about 15" tall.  Sculpting and casting processes included in the photo selection . . . along with a screen-capture from the televised story for comparison (though my version is not based on any one alien character as there were a bunch of them in the story):

I think your previous projects were more like guys wearing full masks. 

You had to get a little more creative to make this sculpture look like an "actual" Draconian not just an actor with appliances on his face. 

Great job !!

On 9/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, Will_K said:

I think your previous projects were more like guys wearing full masks. 

You had to get a little more creative to make this sculpture look like an "actual" Draconian not just an actor with appliances on his face. 

Great job !!

Thanks, Will, the Draconians were such a brilliant piece of design work and it was a joy to work on that project . . . which was very challenging!

On 9/25/2021 at 4:11 PM, The Voord said:

New OUTER LIMITS sculpture completed today.  It's a full-size bust of the Calco Galaxy alien from the episode, 'Fun and Games'  This marks my first attempt at applying hair to one of my sculptures (I'd previously used a cheap eBay wig for 'Man Who Was Never Born', so that doesn't really count).  A tricky, messy business, and as a first attempt at applying hair I don't think it's great but it's 'okay'.  Process photos from start to finish as follows (final photo merges my copy with a screen-capture from the filmed episode for comparison):

Day 1.jpg

Day 2.jpg

Day 3a.jpg

Day 3b.jpg

Day 3c.jpg

Day 3d.jpg

Day 4a.jpg

Day 4b.jpg

Day 4c.jpg

Day 5a.jpg

Day 5b.jpg

Day 5c.jpg

Day 7.jpg

Day 8.jpg

xxx - comp.jpg

One of the things that's always stood out to me about Outer Limits (and Twilight Zone), is how effective their creature designs were in B&W.  I took one of your photos and desaturated it, added a little noise and this was the result.  Nice work!  (thumbsu

1038830143_OuterLimitsRecreation_01.jpg.1f481bc465b93cb701cf10af961d1d74.jpg

I really like this project you've been working on.  Keep 'em coming!