• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do members here produce their *own* art?

172 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2021 at 5:14 AM, Randall Dowling said:

One of the things that's always stood out to me about Outer Limits (and Twilight Zone), is how effective their creature designs were in B&W.  I took one of your photos and desaturated it, added a little noise and this was the result.  Nice work!  (thumbsu

1038830143_OuterLimitsRecreation_01.jpg.1f481bc465b93cb701cf10af961d1d74.jpg

I really like this project you've been working on.  Keep 'em coming!

Thanks, Randall!  There are very few existing color stills from Outer Limits, so very little (if anything at all) to go by when it comes to a paint-scheme.

The are around four more OL sculptures that are do-able for me (a lot of the aliens have already been produced over the years by various hands).  At some point in the near future I want to sculpt a full-body jumbo-sized Zanti Misfit that will measure around 3ft long, though next in line will be a Luminoid from 'A Feasibility Study', which I'll be starting in a few weeks' time.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, The Voord said:

Thanks, Randall!  There are very few existing color stills from Outer Limits, so very little (if anything at all) to go by when it comes to a paint-scheme.

The are around four more OL sculptures that are do-able for me (a lot of the aliens have already been produced over the years by various hands).  At some point in the near future I want to sculpt a full-body jumbo-sized Zanti Misfit that will measure around 3ft long, though next in line will be a Luminoid from 'A Feasibility Study', which I'll be starting in a few weeks' time.

Any more Doctor Who characters on the horizon Voord? If you haven't already done him, Davros would be a good one to have a go at I think, with all those wires and stuff. 

On 9/28/2021 at 12:20 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Any more Doctor Who characters on the horizon Voord? If you haven't already done him, Davros would be a good one to have a go at I think, with all those wires and stuff. 

Oh, sure, I should have all the OL stuff finished off sometime early next year - then I'll move on to some Classic Dr Who characters . . . Col Baker for instance:

intro-1587739636.thumb.jpg.aa6d81276ceba6e630fdb0667abe106e.jpg

Kidding (I think).  But, seriously, Davros is on my list . . . though I do lean towards the Hartnell and Troughton eras.  The Draconian was something I sculpted to show a circle of UK friends (who are all big on Jon Pertwee) that I can turn my hands to Dr Who aliens if I want to.

A Voord would be good, funnily enough  lol

On 9/28/2021 at 2:55 PM, The Voord said:

Oh, sure, I should have all the OL stuff finished off sometime early next year - then I'll move on to some Classic Dr Who characters . . . Col Baker for instance:

intro-1587739636.thumb.jpg.aa6d81276ceba6e630fdb0667abe106e.jpg

Kidding (I think).  But, seriously, Davros is on my list . . . though I do lean towards the Hartnell and Troughton eras.  The Draconian was something I sculpted to show a circle of UK friends (who are all big on Jon Pertwee) that I can turn my hands to Dr Who aliens if I want to.

A Voord would be good, funnily enough  lol

I can see the similarity in hair, face and costume!

Alpha Centauri would be another good one, although that big eye might present a challenge!

Work-in-progress on my latest project . . . a large-scale Zanti Misfit from the classic OUTER LIMITS episode, 'The Zanti Misfits'. Total sculpture is likely to measure 30" long. First photo is a screen-capture from the filmed episode, followed by a series of progression shots of where I'm up to on this one (which will be assembled in kit form). Rest of the week will be spent finishing-off and casting the head, with antennae and legs scheduled for next week's work. Still lots to do but seems to be going okay so far . . .

If the head looks slightly bigger than it should be, that's because I have to allow for shrinkage.  Once the clay sculptured head gets cast in plaster, the latex copy will shrink slightly as it cures over a period of several days.  Everything's been carefully measured out and all the interlocking parts should be in proportion to one another when finished..

1.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

SDC18769.jpg

SDC18770.jpg

SDC18775.jpg

SDC18776.jpg

SDC18777.jpg

SDC18778.jpg

Edited by The Voord

On 10/31/2021 at 5:57 PM, The Voord said:

Total sculpture is likely to measure 30" long. 

Huge and must weigh a lot.  Has anyone yet commissioned a 1:1 scale pod from Invasion of the Body Snatchers ??

On 11/1/2021 at 4:02 PM, Will_K said:

Huge and must weigh a lot.  Has anyone yet commissioned a 1:1 scale pod from Invasion of the Body Snatchers ??

Actually, it won't weigh as much as you think . . . maybe something like 4 lbs when complete.  The components are cast in latex rubber, with the cavities filled with (rigid-drying) expanding foam.  The legs and antennae will have to be cast in resin and coated in latex to support the body weight (this mostly applies to the legs).  I've already made holes in the body centre to accommodate the legs.

Some more work on the head since my last post (the sunglasses effect is black plastic ladle ends):

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Edited by The Voord

My 30" Zanti Misfit sculpture from the classic OUTER LIMITS episode. Bit of tidying up to do but to all intents and purposes finished and ready for painting (hair will be added last). Think he's turned out really well - I'm happy. Been working on this one for about a month. Seven casts had to be made with 23 components put together in kit form. The legs are strengthened by steel rods and casting resin. Last photo is a screen-capture from the filmed episode. I'll do one last update when he's all painted up.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

To give you all a better idea over scale, here's a photo of my Zanti Misfit sculpture positioned alongside one of the Sideshow Collectibles 1/1 scale versions (a commercially-produced collectible from some years back) . . . with my Luminoid full-size head thrown into the mix. Taking a break from sculpting until January (my wife wants her dining room table back for December, which I use as my workspace). Before working on my final two Outer Limits projects, I'm seriously thinking about taking a temporary diversion to sculpt a Cyclops head from 7th Voyage of Sinbad. It's a great piece of design work, though I've no doubt it's already been sculpted many times before. I just fancy doing my own version. Screen-capture of the Cyclops included here.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Archangel is still WIP, haven’t had much time to finish it. This is actually based on an earlier Archangel I did, that I wasn’t particularly happy with. Looks like I’ll need to tweak the image, just shows up as black.

The other is just a digital painting I did for an in game character. I sculpted the dragons head, then ended up turning it into a digital painting.

5F82FBC0-8242-41C2-8AEA-557F4CB85646.jpeg

Edited by Whisper
Image not showing up

Got a ban from doing any sculpting throughout December (something to do with my wife wanting her dining room table, which doubles as my workstation, free for Christmas).  Decided to have a short break from Outer Limits stuff to work on something else . . . 

Day 5 work-in-progress photos of my Cyclops sculpt from THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD. Most of the hard work is now done. The ears and horn are currently sculpted as basic shapes and need a lot more detailing, which will be this evening's task. Teeth will be sculpted and cast separately and the horn (which I'll remove from the sculpt) also given its own cast I've opted for metal studs to recreate the bumps around the top of the head and neck folds. Probably looks a bit jarring to see clay and metal combined . . . but once the plaster mold is made and copies reproduced it should all look fine (and is something I've done before). Coming together nicely and I should be ready to make a two-part plaster cast over the course of the weekend. . .

Last photo is obviously a scree-capture from the movie - which I'm included for reasons of comparison.

Terry Doyle (formerly The Voord)

Day 5a.jpg

Day 5b.jpg

Day 5c.jpg

Day 5d.jpg

Day 5e.jpg

25.jpg

Days 6 to 8 update on my Cyclops bust from the 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD. Days 6, I made my two-part plaster cast . . . a long tedious (but essential) process during which I arm myself with lots of bottled beers to help ease the boredom (getting plastered while I plaster!). Day 7, after I've removed my original clay sculpture from the mold, I start the process of pouring and draining latex from the cavity inside . . . repeated numerous times until I get a nice thick layer building within. Day 8 and I've pulled my first copy out of the plaster cast. The horn was sculpted separately . . . and I've yet to sculpt and cast his teeth (probably tomorrow . . . it's not a big job). Very happy with how he's turned out and my second copy is now underway! Should have a completed painted bust sometime next week. A screen-capture from the movie has been included in my selection of photos for reasons of comparison.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

3.jpg

First copy of my Cyclops sculpture now complete (bar a few touch-ups/corrections) . . . just four more to go!  Measures about 12.5" tall from base of neck up to top of the horn.

SDC19033.jpg

SDC19034.jpg

SDC19035.jpg

SDC19036.jpg

SDC19037 - Copy.jpg

SDC19038.jpg

Edited by The Voord
Photo selection updated to show eyeball now fully-painted!