• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do members here produce their *own* art?

172 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, The Voord said:

I finished-off my 16" tall Talos from JASON & THE ARGONAUTS yesterday evening and this morning I sold the sculpture to Creature Features/Killer Kits UK.  On top of materials used, a worthwhile profit was made.  Not exactly big licks, but not bad for two weeks' worth of, what is for me, a hobby . . . with the likelihood of further sales in the future.  It will also be very prestigious to see my work marketed and distributed to a wider audience.  Happy with all that.

I took some final photos this morning prior to delivery.  Next time I'll be seeing this will be as a resin bust . . . which I'll paint-up once copies come off the production line.

a.jpg

tumblr_inline_pb3p7spUJr1vnxoy3_540.gif.7955ada392f9a536fc35a98451a3c22f.gif

On 9/22/2022 at 6:04 AM, The Voord said:

My 15" tall sculpture of the original 1933 King Kong, now painted-up.  Currently available as a resin bust from Killer Kits UK>

WOW Voord! Last time I regularly visited the forum and peeked in this thread you were making Outer Limits sculptures for personal fun, having just picked up the hobby recently, I believe. Now you're making movie monster sculpts that are being turned into resin kits for everybody to purchase. That's nothing short of awesome!

On 9/30/2022 at 2:06 AM, BuraddoRun said:

WOW Voord! Last time I regularly visited the forum and peeked in this thread you were making Outer Limits sculptures for personal fun, having just picked up the hobby recently, I believe. Now you're making movie monster sculpts that are being turned into resin kits for everybody to purchase. That's nothing short of awesome!

Thanks!  I finished off all the do-able Outer Limits sculptures last year and wanted to continue with other stuff.  Dave Nicholson, of Killer Kits UK, took an interest in my work and asked me to try my hand at doing Talos from Jason & the Argonauts.as a kind of test project.  He was happy with the end result, bought the sculpture, which has been well received by his customer base and is selling well, so is now feeding me new projects.  We discuss future sculptures, in the sense it's something I want to do and is something he thinks will sell, which is pretty much the way forward for me now.  Currently I'm sculpting Maria the robot from Metropolis (movie still attached).

1.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Thanks to the OP for starting this topic. I've really enjoyed checking out the great talent here. If anyone here resides in the southeastern USA, there's a pretty cool venue in Georgia where a lot of creators display all kinds of amazing artwork like the stuff seen on this thread. At the last show there was a lot of comic book character art, Americana art, Pop art, etc. It was a lot of fun! I'm not an art historian, but I honestly believe we're in the middle of a Neo-Pop Art movement in the USA. 

https://www.facebook.com/people/North-Georgia-Folk-and-Outsider-Art-Festival/100080680776231/

Well, I actually managed to find sufficient amounts of Vallejo airbrush colours in my paint-box to complete the paint-job of my working copy of The Cyclops from 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1959), measuring 15" tall and cast in resin. It's a waterline version, as old one-eye wades into the sea to chase after Sinbad and his motley crew in an early sequence from the movie.  I've also now decided to re-do the two arms as I wasn't quite happy with my first attempt (see photos in which I'm holding the revised arms against the main body). Also included in my photo selection are a shot of the resin-cast body.  I should have the revised Cyclops, with new-improved arms, finished-off sometime next month,  Currently, I'm on to a new Harryhausen project . . . 

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

332316963_1391502624940323_4474753778922103540_n.jpg

For years now, I've owned a Weiringo splash from Fantastic Four, framed and on my wall.  I've felt the whole time that it didn't display as such very well, as it is pencils only, and I don't own the Kesel inks.

I recently muttered to a couple professional inker friends that I was thinking of inking the page myself, so it would display better.  They were, of course, aghast that I would consider touching a Ringo original.  (Settle down, guys, OF COURSE I'd be inking a blueline print.  Sheesh!  Probably should have mentioned that first, eh?)

I was pretty happy with the inked version, similar to the published version, I presume.  But I'd realized early on I'd rather have a version for display that was obviously distinct from the published version.  So I invested in some Manga screentones and tried my hand at Zip-style toning.

Turned out well.  Screentones create a fun effect, but they are expensive, fussy, and really really fragile.

ringo1.jpg

ringo2.jpg

ringo3.jpg

ringo4.jpg

I’m envious of those who have artistic skills like these. Mine haven’t progressed much since third grade. They have gotten worse.

But while I can’t draw, sculpt or paint, I can write. So in my free time, I write stories. If anyone is interested, send me their email address and I’ll email my latest to you. All I ask is that you don’t circulate it (to keep it out of the public domain), and you let me know what you think.

A resin cast of a recent sculpture, a 14" tall waterline version of the Kraken from CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981). For this one, I altered the angle of the shoulders at about 45% to achieve the effect I wanted of the Kraken lunging towards you, arms outstretched in a threatening pose. I'll paint him up soon, add the fangs, and replace this photo with one of the painted statue . . .

This will shortly be made available as a collectors resin kit edition rom Killer Kits UK.

Screen-capture from the movie included for comparison.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Work-in-progress of my sculpture of the beastie from Night of the Demon, 1957 (known as Curse of the Demon in the USA). This is a working copy . . . with a base yet to be added. The background shows a scene from the movie.

371022257_10160806353939596_951834056133192548_n.jpg