• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Combined investment will cause Golden Age (Collectors) to explode
3 3

573 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I have had two different investment firms approach to talk about the possibility of starting a collectibles investment fund. Both times we had interesting discussions. The first was with three reps from The Stanford Group. We all know where that ended up. The second time was much more fruitful and had some real potential. And if I was the type to do so I could have fleeced them for around $20 million annually for five years. It turns out they were trying to fleece a real investor and that all fell apart. My point is that it can definitely be done. But the only people that would make any money off of it would be the folks inclined toward dishonesty because the "values" are so easy to manipulate.

Damn, you were that close to creating the Bedrock Bronze Funds, the Bedrock Silver Funds, the Bedrock Gold Funds and my favorite Richard’s Top 500 Funds. 

We all could have owned our own little piece of Bedrock....:cry:

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Damn, you were that close to creating the Bedrock Bronze Funds, the Bedrock Silver Funds, the Bedrock Gold Funds and my favorite Richard’s Top 500 Funds. 

We all could have owned our own little piece of Bedrock....:cry:

:whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea::whatthe::idea:

This thread for whatever reasons reminds me of a fairly recent conversation at work with co-workers of why I have real estate investments but don’t invest in REIT’s. 

If you are only doing this hobby as an investment and get no “interaction” out of it there are simply better/easier ways to make/investment money out there. I don’t see anyone coming up with a fantastic business model for this to work better than what’s out there.

50 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

As I posted in the general thread, this does nothing to help value of gold and silver age books in the market  explode. 

In a system, whenever it exists, wherever it exists, where someone has $100 to spend on a comic book "investment"  can easily choose to buy shares in a comic book, as easily as buying stock/cryptocurrency, from their phone... the truly rare, truly high grade comics (usually Golden Age) which are available in such a system will have market caps far above the current prices that are only possible with "big money" people.  Big money people pave driveways.  Small money people pave highways.  Comics, thus far, are a driveway investment.  When they become a highway investment, the key issues, true keys, will be the exit ramp to Disney World (pre-Covid).

8 minutes ago, N e r V said:

If you are only doing this hobby as an investment and get no “interaction” out of it there are simply better/easier ways to make/investment money out there. I don’t see anyone coming up with a fantastic business model for this to work better than what’s out there.

This exactly.

People forget that one of the largest factors in making comics an investment at all is the "emotional value" that we use to justify almost every purchase. If all of the emotion is taken out then the investment value is greatly reduced.

13 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

So funny you mention Bullwinkle. At one of the first  Overstreet advisor meetings we took a bus excursion from Baltimore to New York to attend a Christy's auction preview. Geppi arranged a really nice bus for the trip and about thirty folks were on their way. There was a table in the back of the bus and Ed Jaster, Matt Nelson, Chris Pedrin and I sat back there having drinks and cracking each other up. If any of you ever met Chris Pedrin you know how funny he could be. At some point after we had all had a few drinks he challenged everyone to do their impression of Bullwinkle. The impressions were horrible. Horrible and ridiculously funny. Drunk folks doing Bullwinkle impressions may be something you would have to be there for to truly appreciate but it has stuck with me all of these years.

The punchline was Chris, waiting for all of the silliness to settle down, knocking out the most perfect Bullwinkle impression ever.

I'm actually in the middle of watching Season 2.  It's a funny show, anchored by Bill Scott's brilliant work as Bullwinkle.

This is not take away from the rest of what was all-star cast of cartoon voice actors.