• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE WITCHER: BLOOD ORIGIN mini series (2022)

19 posts in this topic

Netflix has announced The Witcher: Blood Origin, a limited series from The Witcher universe.

Blood Origin will be a six part, live-action limited series, and a prequel to Netflix hit The Witcher. Set in an elven world 1200 years before the world of The Witcher, the show will chart the origins of the very first Witcher, and the events that lead to the pivotal “conjunction of the spheres,” when the worlds of monsters, men, and elves merged to become one.

The series is slated to shoot in the UK, though cast and a specific date has not been revealed.

Declan de Barra will act as executive producer and showrunner and Lauren Schmidt Hissrich will act as executive producer. Andrzej Sapkowski will serve as creative consultant on the series. Jason Brown and Sean Daniel from Hivemind, and Tomek Baginski and Jarek Sawko from Platige Films will all serve as executive producers.

Edited by Bosco685

We still don't know much about the upcoming spinoff to Netflix's The Witcher other than that it's called The Witcher: Blood Origin, but we recently did get a bit more information on two characters that will be included in the 6 episode limited series through two new casting calls. The casting calls come from Sophie Holland Casting (via Faye Timby), and the parts being cast are Character G and Character Z. While we don't have names, we do know a few key details, including that G is a lethal assassin described as being unafraid of carnage, violence, and chaos. As for Z, they are described as "a mystical and earthly conduit with cerebral palsy", and it seems they will join a crew that is seeking vengeance, though we don't know what for.

Here's the character description for Character Z.

"Character ‘Z’
Female/Playing Age: 20-45
Key Character Description: A mystical and earthly conduit with cerebral palsy. This incredibly powerful female becomes part of a motley crew on a quest for vengeance."

"Character ‘G’
Female / Playing Age 20 - 45
Key Character Description: A brilliantly sharp minded assassin with restricted growth. This character is a true wildcard, unafraid of carnage, violence and chaos. In fact, she revels in it. "

These two characters join two other recent rumored additions to the show. Those would be Eile 'The Lark' Lithe and Princess Merwyn. Other than that, the only other major rumor is that a Jason Momoa type is being pursued as a male lead for the show, though that hasn't been confirmed by Netflix.

The Witcher: Blood Origin Showrunner Shows Off Scripts

It would appear that things are in full swing for Netflix's The Witcher prequel limited series The Witcher: Blood Origin with several casting announcements this year, and now The Witcher: Blood Origin showrunner and executive producer Declan de Barra has shared what appears to be the completed scripts for the six-part live-action limited series.

For what it's worth, de Barra seems to have done his absolute best to prevent any sort of spoilers from coming out with the photo. None of the titles are visible, and it would appear that the pre-production drafts are from late February. That said, what he shared with the photo on Twitter might be of interest to get an idea of what the pacing of the show will be like.

"As a lifelong fan of fantasy, I am beyond excited to tell the story The Witcher: Blood Origin," de Barra said when the prequel was first announced. "A question has been burning in my mind ever since I first read The Witcher books - What was the Elven world really like before the cataclysmic arrival of the humans?

"I've always been fascinated by the rise and fall of civilizations, how science, discovery, and culture flourish right before that fall. How vast swathes of knowledge are lost forever in such a short time, often compounded by colonization and a rewriting of history. Leaving only fragments of a civilization’s true story behind.

The Witcher recently wrapped up filming its second season, which gave Witcher fans plenty to celebrate, but that also meant the prequel series, The Witcher: Blood Origin, was set to start filming at Arborfield Studios with Jodie Turner-Smith and Laurence O'Fuarain in the lead roles. Unfortunately, the show just lost Turner-Smith, who was set to play the role of Eile, as Netflix revealed she has had to exit the project due to a scheduling conflict. The conflict is due to the production start being "pushed slightly", and now the role of Eile will sadly have to be recast. Netflix released a statement to Deadline, which you can find below.

A Netflix spokesperson said, “Due to a change in the production schedule for The Witcher: Blood Origin limited series, unfortunately Jodie Turner-Smith will no longer be able to continue on in the role of Éile."

Netflix's official description of Eile says she "has left her clan and position as Queen’s guardian to follow her heart as a nomadic musician. A grand reckoning on the continent forces her to return to the way of the blade in her quest for vengeance and redemption." It's disappointing that Turner-Smith won't be able to play the role, but we'll keep you posted on more castings for the anticipated project as they come in.

Blood Origin will be a six-episode series set before the events of The Witcher's main series and way before Henry Cavill's Geralt started monster hunting. We're still waiting on more plot details, but we do know it is set 1200 years before Geralt's adventures. Declan de Barra will be the spinoff series showrunner and executive producer, and The Witcher showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich will also serve as executive producer. Andrzej Sapkowski is a creative consultant on the series as well.

Just now, Callaway29 said:

Sooo this actress I've never heard of has a better gig than The Witcher lined up? Doesn't add up...

I thought the same thing when I read 'scheduling conflict'. The modern trigger for 'someone wasn't happy about something'.

Watched the first two episodes.

Production quality comes across like MTV's The Shannara Chronicles with the acting, sets and story. Which is not bad. Just don't expect Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.

I'll continue watching to see where this goes.

I binged watched all of it while packing some comics. 

Its not bad. Its the origin of the original Witcher. 
Its not Geralt let me say that and some will be turned off by the lack
of monsters, but overall it does the job. 

It explains the conjuction of the Spheres and how it all began.
It ties into the Witcher in a couple of ways all let you discover.

I am only confused about one person in the end of the show who ends
up in another world.