• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paintings and Line Work- Show Off Your Original Pulp Art
1 1

92 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2022 at 10:18 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I rarely venture out at night.  Took a look around the boards and realized there's a Pulp forum that's been here awhile (D'oh!). 

I'm sure most here have seen orig. pulp art from my collection in GA, but humor me (you can always pretend it's new to you). :bigsmile:

George J. Rozen (June 1st, '42 Shadow)...

b8ed3ae1-8fc3-4df1-a5c7-6eabfea082f2_zpsixsnto6z.jpg.0cd2cd82be57f6db8e5d3fea15220d19.jpg

George J. Rozen (June 15th, '42 Shadow)...

image_zps8ehim1p0.jpeg.b6d349faa1b4c21da6ee9f9e4eb30b7b.jpeg

Also, there's the Jerome G. Rozen recreation of twin brother George's last Shadow pulp cover (Summer '49)... 

DavidM-shadow1.gif

The disappearing Cat is just a Shadow of his former self!

(animation courtesy of Flea Marquette).

:cheers:

Absolutely amazing collection. Those are just stunning.

On 12/4/2022 at 9:28 AM, RedFury said:

In the past few months I've picked up three paintings by Weird Tales and Arkham House artist Lee Brown Coye.

This one is an oil painting from 1937.  Coye won first prize in the 1937 Associated Artists of Syracuse exhibition for an oil painting called "Backyard", and I think this may be it.  The grim, murderous subject matter of this painting presages his macabre work to come.  He began illustrating weird fiction stories in 1944's Sleep No More anthology, and in 1945 issues of Weird Tales, and continued these types of illustrations into the 1970s.

f3OZr98h.jpg

Like it a lot👍‼️🥓

On 12/4/2022 at 9:40 AM, RedFury said:

I don't know much about this 1944 landscape watercolor by Lee Brown Coye.  There's no information on the piece other than the signature and date, and the painting appears to be a completely unknown work by Coye.

The image reminds me of Lovecraft's story, The Colour Out of Space, with the lonely farmhouse, what looks like "blasted heath", and the vibrant vegetation.  It's certainly a stretch to say it illustrates that story.  But on the other hand, Coye did begin to illustrate Lovecraft stories the same year this was painted (1944).  Regardless of its true subject, I love it.

Ge6l2mgh.jpg

This art grows on me‼️❤️

On 7/29/2020 at 11:35 AM, detective35 said:

The Shadow - The Creeping Death - Jan. 15, 1933
21” x 30” (Oil on canvas)

I remember saying to a few people,  if I could have one Shadow Painting (or any pulp painting ever done), “The Creeping Death” would be the one.  

When it came up for auction at Heritage I couldn’t believe it, and I eventually ended up with it.  A heartfelt “thank you” to Ferd Bernjak, Glynn Craine, and Todd Hignite who helped me obtain it!

Dwight

D33BBB3E-C103-4D77-BF74-744186442692.jpeg

^^

On 12/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, Pulpvault said:

Earlier this year, at the Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention, I was fortunate enough to acquire the painting used as the cover for the March 1911 issue of Adventure. It illustrated the first installment of the novel, "Prester John," written by John Buchan. Many thanks to Fred Taraba of Taraba Illustration who had this at his booth.

Unfortunately, the 111 years since it had been painted had not been kind to it. Among other things, the canvas had been removed from its stretcher bars and glued to board, which had gotten wet at some point resulting in mold. So I took it to The Conservation Center in Chicago to do their magic, and I picked up the restored painting earlier today. I took a quick shot of it with my phone to post here; the way it looked when I first acquired it is also posted.

Bracker Adventure 1911 03 Prester John John Buchan.jpg

bracker adventure 1911 03 sold at live auctioneers 2022 04 24.webp

Wow, they did a great job!

On 12/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, Pulpvault said:

Earlier this year, at the Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention, I was fortunate enough to acquire the painting used as the cover for the March 1911 issue of Adventure. It illustrated the first installment of the novel, "Prester John," written by John Buchan. Many thanks to Fred Taraba of Taraba Illustration who had this at his booth.

Unfortunately, the 111 years since it had been painted had not been kind to it. Among other things, the canvas had been removed from its stretcher bars and glued to board, which had gotten wet at some point resulting in mold. So I took it to The Conservation Center in Chicago to do their magic, and I picked up the restored painting earlier today. I took a quick shot of it with my phone to post here; the way it looked when I first acquired it is also posted.

Bracker Adventure 1911 03 Prester John John Buchan.jpg

bracker adventure 1911 03 sold at live auctioneers 2022 04 24.webp

Simply amazing how much better it looks.