• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paintings and Line Work- Show Off Your Original Pulp Art
1 1

92 posts in this topic

This piece came from the Estate of a long-time Science Fiction Fan who attended conventions etc for decades. I assume he either bought this piece at a Con or perhaps was given it by the artist. I'm assuming the Artist lived in the Bay Area, but who knows. He or she could have been a Fan Artist who never published professionally. Again, who knows?

The painting is on cardboard or art board. It's approx 11" x 14" in size.

The signature is unreadable to me. The piece has a real Alex Schomburg or later Virgil Finlay look to me, though I don't think it was either. It's very typical for the 1950's, well executed and BRIGHT!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GK

IMG_3991.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3995.JPG

On 9/10/2021 at 6:09 PM, Book Guy said:

This piece came from the Estate of a long-time Science Fiction Fan who attended conventions etc for decades. I assume he either bought this piece at a Con or perhaps was given it by the artist. I'm assuming the Artist lived in the Bay Area, but who knows. He or she could have been a Fan Artist who never published professionally. Again, who knows?

The painting is on cardboard or art board. It's approx 11" x 14" in size.

The signature is unreadable to me. The piece has a real Alex Schomburg or later Virgil Finlay look to me, though I don't think it was either. It's very typical for the 1950's, well executed and BRIGHT!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GK

IMG_3991.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3995.JPG

Cool outer space theme👍‼️❤️😷

On 9/10/2021 at 6:14 PM, Book Guy said:

This last one is a piece of published art. It came from a storage locker in Vallejo California decades ago!

There are some color differences between this piece and the cover of FANTASTIC, but I assume those where added by the printer. The 'smoky' area in front of the skeleton is a stain added after the art was published. You can see some of the printer's/editor's notes in black ink.

I have a copy of the Magazine, but the cover artist is not listed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

GK

IMG_3996.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

This cover is cool

I knew Gary, though not well and was shocked to hear he had died. There has been very little posted about his collection being sold off. Does anybody know much about him? What he died from? What he did for a living? etc./ I used to send Catalogs to him and would see him when I exhibited at Book Fairs. We always had a chat about Bookish subjects, but I realized I didn't know much ABOUT him (and probably the same for him about me!.