• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do SPIDERS give you the creeps?

88 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks, which would you recommend as a good one to start reading?

Any of them; I'm honestly not the expert on Spiders.  Possibly City of Doom?  It gives you three Spider stories and has the Steranko cover.  The extended Empire State story may be the most famous Spider story, but that's partly because it's atypical for the run as I understand it.  Cover images swiped from Amazon:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

22 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Any of them; I'm honestly not the expert on Spiders.  Possibly City of Doom?  It gives you three Spider stories and has the Steranko cover.  The extended Empire State story may be the most famous Spider story, but that's partly because it's atypical for the run as I understand it.  Cover images swiped from Amazon:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks I'll give Vs. The Empire State a shot!

On 3/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, OtherEric said:

1.jpg

So Empire of the State showed up and I started to read it and I am immediately engrossed! As a bonus the introduction had a tidbit of information about an insurrection almost committed against the Presidency of Roosevelt I had never heard of before. That will in turn lead to reading another book referenced about that situation! Thanks again for the recommendation; many hours of entertainment ahead.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:39 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks, which would you recommend as a good one to start reading?

I have most of the reprints, but one of the best ways to read them is by checking them out of your local library as ebooks free of charge.  I have read eight Spider pulps since June.  The wonderful interior artwork will not be found in the ebooks.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:43 AM, Bookery said:

$3400.  Yeah... something odd going on there, especially since the surrounding issues, several with similar cover elements, are mostly under $50 so far.

Could it just be a case where the market hadn't figured out a book was rare until multiple bidders jump on one that finally turns up?  We've seen that happen with comics frequently.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:55 PM, OtherEric said:

Could it just be a case where the market hadn't figured out a book was rare until multiple bidders jump on one that finally turns up?  We've seen that happen with comics frequently.

In this case I'm not aware of any Spider issues that would be considered rare... even #1.  I'm guessing some comic collectors were enthralled with the bondage theme... and may not be aware there are about 1000 other pulps that would similarly qualify!

On 7/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, Bookery said:

In this case I'm not aware of any Spider issues that would be considered rare... even #1.  I'm guessing some comic collectors were enthralled with the bondage theme... and may not be aware there are about 1000 other pulps that would similarly qualify!

I have seen most Spider issues trade between $50 and $300 lately, depending on condition and cover theme, but every once in a while, you see a high price. This one I picked up last week in a lot of 9 issues recently sold for $1,535 on EBAY. I paid far less for this copy and the condition wasn't far off. It seems that subject matter on the covers is driving some pretty large numbers around right meow.

655246824(1).jpg

Edited by Joshua33
Pic