• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ENOCH BOLLES ....and other fine Pin-Up art
3 3

104 posts in this topic

Snappyv14n05(1935-05.D.M.)coverBolles.thumb.jpg.409c70817bc0dbba5fa0826b804e7b6a.jpg

So this edition from my collection.  A puzzler.  I even corresponded with Jack Raglin who runs the Bolles Blog and has written about Bolles in Illustration about it before posting here, as I wanted to get the attribution right.

Bolles has some similar cowgirls, but there are oddities.  First off, Snappy is without a doubt Earle Bergey's domain:

http://www.philsp.com/mags/snappy.html

Almost every single edition in that 1929-1938 run is EKB.  I see a Greiner at May 1933, but every other cover is EKB and often signed.  Except this one.

Jack suspects the art director may have cropped the painting funny at the bottom.  But there's also some oddities in the painting itself.  Jack recognizes this as a very odd case as well as I do. 

Yet, there's the Bolles fingers, the underboob (not sure a refined way to put that, sorry lol),  the clothing details, the face, the similarity to his other cowgirls, etc. 

But I've posted it!  Both of us are sure Bolles is the main artist despite misgivings.  I don't like to make attribution at 80 percent sure, but there it is.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:41 AM, Darwination said:

MMkay, so the Bolles thread. Yep, we'll keep it Bolles-centric, but I do like this other part "and other fine pin-up art".

The American Weekly 1936-10-25 cover Thetchet (Darwin UnEdit)

So many great covers on those American Weekly's.  I bought several of the David Wright covers and I have far too many others on my feebay watch lists (love those Van Buren covers).  They are not aging too well (newsprint).  I need a nice Henry Clive example, but I think I'll go after one of his slick magazines.

On 10/19/2023 at 1:42 PM, Yorick said:

So many great covers on those American Weekly's.  I bought several of the David Wright covers and I have far too many others on my feebay watch lists (love those Van Buren covers).  They are not aging too well (newsprint).  I need a nice Henry Clive example, but I think I'll go after one of his slick magazines.

The older oversized issues are absolutely amazing when unfolded and in nice shape like this one.  It had a circulation of 50 MILLION at one time but the surviving specimens usually look a bit rough :D

I just hope that there's a nice collection of the physical copies somewhere, incredible covers, tons of great illustration, fiction and neat articles to boot.

Here's a centerfold of one I scanned today (1945-08-26) for the pulpscans group for an idea of the design and production values:

Untitled_Panorama-1.jpg

And this is one of the smaller issues which are dwarfed by the older ones (which wont even fit on an A3 scanner):

20231019_101555.jpg

Edited by Darwination