• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age finally getting some love?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Maybe my Elflord bw’s maybe worth something some day:roflmao:They are the only BW's that I still have and that's because nobody wanted them HAHA.

Every time I come across them in the quarter bins, I have to remind myself its not elfquest and I don't want bulk :(

5 minutes ago, waaaghboss said:

Every time I come across them in the quarter bins, I have to remind myself its not elfquest and I don't want bulk :(

Yeah, I always think Elfquest too, then it takes me like 10 minutes to figure it's actually Elflord.  I do remember when Elflord #1 was hot! I think it was going for around $30 or so back in the day? I am a little surprise that it's not even in the Registry though.

On 8/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, Randall Dowling said:

No, there are a thousand people that each want 1700 copies of Spawn 1.  And then telling everyone else that it's valuable and rare.  :insane:

dont you love feebay listings that say RARE and HTF when you see about another 50+ listings for the same book

On 8/7/2020 at 10:32 PM, Randall Dowling said:

No, there are a thousand people that each want 1700 copies of Spawn 1.  And then telling everyone else that it's valuable and rare.  :insane:

I think that you've hit a huge part of it.

Spawn is popular because of Nostalgia. If you look at it today, it's not even great art. I thought it was great art, and then I looked at it a few months ago and it's dated af. It has not aged well - at all.

We all know Spawn wasn't known for its gripping storytelling either. I don't mean to rag on Spawn, but Spawn sucks. It did what it needed to, it got me into comics and at the time it was a great ride, that's all. And that's all it had to be.

But back to your original point... it's fan boys buying multiple copies. I didn't realize this was a thing. Why do I want multiple copies of a book? Apparently people do...

15 minutes ago, D2 said:

I think that you've hit a huge part of it.

Spawn is popular because of Nostalgia. If you look at it today, it's not even great art. I thought it was great art, and then I looked at it a few months ago and it's dated af. It has not aged well - at all.

We all know Spawn wasn't known for its gripping storytelling either. I don't mean to rag on Spawn, but Spawn sucks. It did what it needed to, it got me into comics and at the time it was a great ride, that's all. And that's all it had to be.

But back to your original point... it's fan boys buying multiple copies. I didn't realize this was a thing. Why do I want multiple copies of a book? Apparently people do...

I guarantee you that there are people out there with long boxes or unopened cases of Spawn 1 claiming it's undervalued and should be worth more just trying to pump it up.  Some may even be on these boards...

And I think your assessment of Spawn is completely correct.  I was just looking at MacFarlane's work on Incredible Hulk.  It's okay but far from great.  The guy barely knows how to tell a story visually (let alone having no idea how to actually write a story).  

The idea that he's one of the wealthiest comic artists of all time is a very bad joke.  Also, he should layoff the botox and/or plastic surgery.  

Todd-McFarlane-e1582560349382.thumb.jpg.4d34c789af6f90d4ba3a3e17df21db43.jpg

33 minutes ago, D2 said:

Honestly, I think this is a big thing now for books of most ages.  There are a lot more speculators right now than there usually are.  The rising prices has dragged them in, just like they did in the 90s.  

Luckily, that ended well for everyone involved. :)

13 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I guarantee you that there are people out there with long boxes or unopened cases of Spawn 1 claiming it's undervalued and should be worth more just trying to pump it up.  Some may even be on these boards...

And I think your assessment of Spawn is completely correct.  I was just looking at MacFarlane's work on Incredible Hulk.  It's okay but far from great.  The guy barely knows how to tell a story visually (let alone having no idea how to actually write a story).  

The idea that he's one of the wealthiest comic artists of all time is a very bad joke.  Also, he should layoff the botox and/or plastic surgery.  

Todd-McFarlane-e1582560349382.thumb.jpg.4d34c789af6f90d4ba3a3e17df21db43.jpg

LOL

Literally the wealthiest man in comics, ever. Granted I did just look up a few articles to see who else would rival his wealth... Stan Lee at $50 million, but the article had David Choe on there... the article also called Todd, Tom McFarlane, so credibility is loose.

The point is, I actually sat down a few years ago with Whilce Portacio, image cofounder, and we talked about Todd, for 2 hours. I bought a sketch cover from Whilce with a friend of mine and it was at a dead comic con where Whilce was more than happy to entertain 2 fans and chat about the good ol' days.

Long story short, Whilce had nothing but great things to say about Todd, but the one thing he did mention over and over again, was how Todd saw comics. It was all about marketing. Todd only cared about marketing. Whilce made a joke how, all of the image cofounders were in a room discussing how to get their characters to merge, meanwhile Todd was trying to find a way to get a Spawn vinyl on a drag car. Todd didn't care about stories, he cared about marketing, about money. Todd McFarlane went to the George Lucas School of Creation... how can I tap as many outlets as possible, so I can get as much money as possible, in the shortest amount of time. 

That's Spawn. Spawn's title is an inside joke on how to spawn more and more money. That's it.