• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feelings on Unpublished Pages?
3 3

115 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2020 at 1:02 AM, thethedew said:

I have one of those, too:

GRIMJACK: OUTLAW IN HELL miniseries.  Never got close to print, but some of the covers got made:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1647719

Correction:  I now have two out of the three covers for the series.  Am officially on the LOOKOUT for the last one!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1815572

I have a few unpublished pieces in my collection. 1st is a splash page from Brett Booth's Future Flash run. It's right after the Future Flash and Current Barry battle. There's a big explosion and all that's left is the Future flash and the Speed Force rupture that had been the cause of his waning powers is healed. Brett redrew this page after not liking his first attempt. It was never inked, just pencils only.

Flash vol. 4 #5 page 18 Unpublished.

UYXYH94S_0609201645281sbpi.jpg

The Published version.

VvBfemXJ_0609201645491gpauxiu.jpg

Next is the unpublished cover for Five Ghosts #8. This was used in the Previews Solicitations.

DqDHeqzr_0309202316141sbpi.jpg

FmNkTHYC_2407152308271.jpg

The last is a Cully Hamner page from Punisher vol. 7 #7 page13 . Apparently Cully drew the whole issue, but for some reason got replaced by Leandro Fernandez.

XbmxANaq_1008212007281gpadd.jpg

Publisher version by Leandro Fernandez.

amilmO7G_0605221201041gpaiadd.jpg

Here is how the Donnellys AKA Coollines feel about unpublished art...make it appear to be published and try and sell it for an obnoxious amount....

For instance, this Michael Bair Alpha Flight/Wolverine piece was traded to them as unpublished. The Donnellys then added fake stats and word balloons from the real title page to Alpha Flight #87 to give it the appearance of a published piece...

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=7719402&fbclid=IwAR24pnTZoqLLV_DuzFdifNrYwfiCErcv2ylm8CzZaBtJcVmv2IegOc6q-48

On 8/11/2020 at 2:09 PM, BookofStrange said:

I have another late entry. I got the news  (Aug 5) that Doctor Strange Surgeon Supreme was cancelled with issue 6. I bought the cover a couple of months ago so now I have an unpublished cover.

Doctor Strange Surgeon Supreme #7 cover
Artist: Max Fiumara (All)

La6jpJ3I_2904202024221gpadd.jpg

No love in there for the Buckingham costume? Shame that no one will draw it, mostly due to the complexity.

Another great addition!

On 5/6/2022 at 12:58 PM, MAR1979 said:

A decade and a half back there was a conversation on the old comicart-l board in which it was overwhelmingly determined that unpublished cover is an oxymoron.

:cheers:

as opposed to unpublished "piece"? Seems like a game of semantics, as long as the word that prefaces is unpublished what does it matter.

On 5/10/2022 at 1:16 PM, ShellyM46 said:

as opposed to unpublished "piece"? Seems like a game of semantics, as long as the word that prefaces is unpublished what does it matter.

In the context of that comicart-l thread it was that "Cover" was begin used to hype a way to increase the cost of the item.   

Yep, Nowadays it does not matter as sellers make up whatever copy they want Los Bros style, as long as off eBay, without recriminations.

I do wish I had an archive of some of those comicart-l topics there were some fun reads there.  Due to the lower dollars amounts involved on art the board skewed towards more fun than this one in the now.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/10/2022 at 12:34 PM, MAR1979 said:

I do wish I had an archive of some of those comicart-l topics there were some fun reads there.  Due to the lower dollars amounts involved on art the board skewed towards more fun than this one in the now.

you mean like this?

https://www.comicartfans.com/forums/comic_art_collecting/comicart_l

granted, it's not really searchable. But there it is.

On 5/10/2022 at 1:16 PM, ShellyM46 said:

then maybe put "commission" after unpublished and see how yucky that is? It matters, I agree.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:38 AM, Bird said:

then maybe put "commission" after unpublished and see how yucky that is? It matters, I agree.

If it WAS a commission it should say "commission" but if it was unambiguously created BEFORE the published book and was intended to be the cover then it's a vintage piece which, to me, is close to being as good as having the OG published cover, but at a very steep discount  

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

I find them very interesting, but I do think they ought to cost slightly less than a similar published version.

Every once in a while I'll see someone sort of sneakily selling an unpublished piece as if it's from the published issue, trying to rake in the $$$. I don't dig that. But unpublished pages are unique in their own right, and if they are a tad cheaper then they can be a fun part of any collection.

As for sketches and designs that are done by the artist of a series to actually practice and flesh out his take on the character... I think those are also super interesting, if less valuable