• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sub-Mariner #8 CGC 9.6, whats it worth?

62 posts in this topic

How does that guy do it shocked.gif ! Mark (the guy from PGCmint), dropped out of comic dealing because he thought the floor had dropped in the 90s! He heard of the CGC hype, then decided to get back into it. Now he has a store of millions of dollars worth of HG quality goods. How did he 'return to the hobby' and manage to get all this HG stuff???? Have you seen the FF#4 on their? pricey, but that sort of quality doesnt turn up on the shelf at a con or your local store (I wish it did!)!

Well Kev, Mark Wilson is very agressive when buying high grade books. He will pay a lot for his books and his selling prices certainly reflect it! frown.gif I saw him personally go around in San Diego last year buying up a lot of the high grade CGC and non-CGC DCs last year. He even picked up a big stack of CGC DCs from Motor City Comics to purchase. Motor City is very agressive in their pricing so that stack wouldn't have been cheap! ooo.gif

Greggy please teach me here as I truly want to know (actually anybody that wants to teach me is okay)..

If Mark Wilson is aggresive when buying high grade books while Motor City is aggresive in their pricing then that would mean that Mark Wilson will be even more aggresive when pricing his books.

Is this a proven marketing strategy?

Is this a proven marketing strategy?

Well, if you're patient and waiting (hoping) for the right buyer, he can do well! But, his exposure to loss greater if even the ultra high grade market dips in demand! frown.gif

So it's more of a long term krap shoot that could go either way...

I am guessing that this would be a good strategy for selling via ebay storefront as you would have the book under constant exposure to a large volume of potential buyers..

Does anybody find ebay storefront good in this respect?

Does anybody find ebay storefront good in this respect?

I think Darth likes using the storefront. Dunno if it helps his sales significantly or not! wink.gif

eBay storefront is exactly that - a cheap way to display wares at the prices the SELLER wants for AS LONG AS YOU WANT...

I got this idea from 4gemworks, but if I wanted to show off my collection (like a registry of some sort) I could scan and post all my high grade 30 cent variants in the ebay store with outrageous prices (like the Origin 1 CGC 10.0 for $5K auction listing I had) - I know it will never sell at that aggressive price and if it does then I can only stand to gain by its sale. Many sellers use the ebay storefron as a display case. Look but don't touch and if you buy it, be prepared to pay top dollar.

Does it help my auction sales? I can post screwy listings in there like my Obscenity variant or my Northstar 1 just to get some chuckles and attention, but I also like to use eBay merchandising manager to link my auction sales to 3 store items that I want to move. Like posting a Daredevil CGC 9.8 book for auction and linking it to ungraded, DD 181, DD 158, and DD 168 - maybe someone will decide to save on shipping and COMIBINE. If you run a storefront, think about combining shipping charges. It makes a lot of sense and buyers would rather use their money trowards more goods rather than outrageous shipping costs.

I think we went off topic so my contribution is : CGC 9.6 Sub-mariner 8 - what is it worth to me? $1200; more than a Submariner 1 CGC 9.8 due to the battle cover and all black background...

If Mark Wilson is aggresive when buying high grade books while Motor City is aggresive in their pricing then that would mean that Mark Wilson will be even more aggresive when pricing his books.

I spoke to him recently via email(but not at great length), and he said he's willing to pay very high/aggressive prices for super high grade books because he believes in their long term potential. Also, like Greggy said, this strategy of paying aggressive prices for choice stuff can work if you have the time and patience to find the right buyer. And he seems to have the financial network, and name regognition to make this work.