• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Subs for Your Own OO Off the Stand Books

19 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The page quality of my books after 35 years or so of storage under many different conditions was highly variable, ranging from cream to off white all the way to white.  It varied by stack, by position in the stack, and by the quality of paper used in the printing.

Beautiful books!  I've always thought this last part was the greatest determining factor in page preservation.  The quality of newsprint varied so much depending on time period, particular mill, and methods of production.  I have hardcover books from the 1880s that the interior pages look fresh and new.  And I have others from the 1920s that look browned and borderline fragile.  2c

17 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I have never subbed an OO Bronze book.  I was not careful with condition until I got back into comics in 1984.  All my 1975-1979 books are just read to death.  My OO X-Men 94 is a legit 0.5. The cover is almost like felt.

Many of mine are too, Sean.  I actually have my first book that I bought and have posted before.  I have thought about subbing it,. O.o

215439822_Defenders2OO.thumb.jpg.fe15b3a0d26a6a75ff9f4006ebbb422b.jpg

Edited by telerites

I was fortunate to buy most all of the major Marvel Bronze Age keys from 1972 and later off the rack.  But they varied in condition.  My copy of X-Men #94 graded at 8.0 (then 8.5 after I sold it), and my copy of Giant-Size X-Men #1 graded at 9.0 initially.  Some were lower grade than that, like this book:

MSpotlight5.thumb.jpg.c52734a29bb01884db966170b4f8ddfe.jpg

Edited by namisgr

I was a Marvel Zombie back then, but also regularly read a handful of DC titles, like Batman, Detective, Kamandi, Demon, and Swamp Thing.  Again, some survived in sweet shape, others in lesser condition:

Batman251sale.jpg.b27dce46fc0554c9240883a167667d28.jpg

Swamp9.jpg.30578aff30136efc7067d4ae11a0d359.jpg

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

I was a Marvel Zombie back then, but also regularly read a handful of DC titles, like Batman, Detective, Kamandi, Demon, and Swamp Thing.  Again, some survived in sweet shape, others in lesser condition:

Swamp9.jpg.30578aff30136efc7067d4ae11a0d359.jpg

Yeah I was pretty much Marvel exclusively but my brother, a year older, did some DC.  His first book was Swamp Thing #1.  He gave me his books when he lost interest and have the ST 1 and others somewhere.

Once I learned DC was putting out some good books, I glommed onto ST.  Loved the Wein/Wrightson stories.  I bought a scad of Swampies (not OO of the stand but in the late 70s and they were in nice shape.  I had some graded and many turned out as 9.6s and 9.8s.  When I got afflicted with the gold bug for a time, I subbed a couple for Wrightson sigs.  #7 may be favorite BA book.

On 8/13/2020 at 10:58 AM, RhialtoTheMarvellous said:

I wish some of my 70s off the stands stuff was worth submitting as I still have all of them, but given I was born in 74 it wasn't gonna happen.

If you were born in '74, you certainly began buying off the stands at a young age in the 70s.  I was pretty steady buying through the 70s (early 70s was mom-funded since I was nine when she bought that Defenders 2 for me) but then I started digging through trash cans for pop bottles and did get an allowance and mowing yards so could buy on my own.  

I have two indelibly bad comic memories from the 70s - 1) seeing GSX 1 on a spinner rack and thinking it looked cool but I could buy two regular sized comics instead one so I passed and 2) buying Hulk 181 at a con for $1 and then selling at the same con for $3 - I wasn't a Hulk fan and who cared about a corny Wolverine plus think of the profit I made in about an hour doh!

On 8/15/2020 at 6:27 AM, telerites said:

If you were born in '74, you certainly began buying off the stands at a young age in the 70s.  I was pretty steady buying through the 70s (early 70s was mom-funded since I was nine when she bought that Defenders 2 for me) but then I started digging through trash cans for pop bottles and did get an allowance and mowing yards so could buy on my own.  

I have two indelibly bad comic memories from the 70s - 1) seeing GSX 1 on a spinner rack and thinking it looked cool but I could buy two regular sized comics instead one so I passed and 2) buying Hulk 181 at a con for $1 and then selling at the same con for $3 - I wasn't a Hulk fan and who cared about a corny Wolverine plus think of the profit I made in about an hour doh!

More like whatever I begged my Dad and Mom to buy me off the rack. Probably not until 79 or so.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, namisgr said:

I bought extensively off the rack between 1972 and '76, and again between '81 and '85.  I'd just turned 18 when I first started regularly buying, reading, and saving comics, and had a comic-loving buddy who'd been buying off the rack since 1964, and showed me how to read my books without damaging them.  These are two examples.  The 180 was turned into a 9.8 after I sold it:

Hulk180.jpg.8d3942e27fbcf2eadbed539a57bfdeb9.jpg

Hulk181front.thumb.jpg.1b135146ccd4a08841755c3455d2b543.jpg

That is nasty.  Congrats!!!