• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do We Wanna Talk Decks?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

loved the game but I have not played since 2004.

I started in winter of 1993. A friend of mine owns a gaming/collectibles store and asked me to try a "new game" with him.

He gave me an alpha starter deck and one for himself and we opened them and read the rules that came with the starters and we tried to build 60 card decks and played. Amusing to think that because we didn't know how to use some cards we didn't play with them ( like the mox and the black lotus we got in opening! )

I played a lot of Magic until I quit. I had over 100 decks I had built.

In 2004 I sold most everything I had and got back into comic collecting.  I played MTG for 11 years.

Edited by Artboy99

On 8/14/2020 at 10:04 PM, Artboy99 said:

loved the game but I have not played since 2004.

I started in winter of 1993. A friend of mine owns a gaming/collectibles store and asked me to try a "new game" with him.

He gave me an alpha starter deck and one for himself and we opened them and read the rules that came with the starters and we tried to build 60 card decks and played. Amusing to think that because we didn't know how to use some cards we didn't play with them ( like the mox and the black lotus we got in opening! )

I played a lot of Magic until I quit. I had over 100 decks I had built.

In 2004 I sold most everything I had and got back into comic collecting.  I played MTG for 11 years.

The language on ABU cards was definitely unpolished.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The language on ABU cards was definitely unpolished.

very much so!

As new cards were released new combinations were built and in many cases new combinations were completely broken.

I tended to play group games over duels.

I remember playing in a group game and I had an Illusionary Mask on the table so I was playing all of my creatures face down. One of my opponents also had an Illusionary Mask and was playing his creatures face down as well. The hilarity ensued when after about 20 turns of a stalemate he decided to attack me and flipped over his cards to reveal a Marton Stromgald! The thing is, I had one out as well. While not an official rules judge one of the players in the game had a very large binder with all the rules and errata and he made a ruling: Both Marton Stromgalds cancel each other out and they were removed from play.

Another broken combination I remember was Enduring Renewal and zero casting cost creatures. All I remember is that I kept sacrificing the creatures for something and because of enduring renewal the creatures returned to my hand, and because they were zero to cast I could play the combination forever. I remember it was a rather quick deck as the nasty combination could take out the entire table of multiplayer game opponents on the 4th turn.

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

very much so!

As new cards were released new combinations were built and in many cases new combinations were completely broken.

I tended to play group games over duels.

I remember playing in a group game and I had an Illusionary Mask on the table so I was playing all of my creatures face down. One of my opponents also had an Illusionary Mask and was playing his creatures face down as well. The hilarity ensued when after about 20 turns of a stalemate he decided to attack me and flipped over his cards to reveal a Marton Stromgald! The thing is, I had one out as well. While not an official rules judge one of the players in the game had a very large binder with all the rules and errata and he made a ruling: Both Marton Stromgalds cancel each other out and they were removed from play.

Another broken combination I remember was Enduring Renewal and zero casting cost creatures. All I remember is that I kept sacrificing the creatures for something and because of enduring renewal the creatures returned to my hand, and because they were zero to cast I could play the combination forever. I remember it was a rather quick deck as the nasty combination could take out the entire table of multiplayer game opponents on the 4th turn.

JoeMgBG.gif

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

JoeMgBG.gif

it was a red enchantment, I can't remember the name of it but you sacrificed a creature and it did 1 damage to a player. All I needed to make the combination work was that enchantment, Enduring Renewal and 1 creature out. I remember having 4x Enlightened Tutors in the deck to find the enchantments.

12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it was a red enchantment, I can't remember the name of it but you sacrificed a creature and it did 1 damage to a player. All I needed to make the combination work was that enchantment, Enduring Renewal and 1 creature out. I remember having 4x Enlightened Tutors in the deck to find the enchantments.

In my Azorius Artifact deck. :luhv:

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Goblin Bombardment.

That deck had a brief run on the tournament scene under the name "Fruity Pebbles". I narrowly missed winning a couple big events with it.

40 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Goblin Bombardment.

That deck had a brief run on the tournament scene under the name "Fruity Pebbles". I narrowly missed winning a couple big events with it.

that was it!

I used the zero casting cost Kobolds from legends, Orinthopters from Antiquities and some other zero casting cost stuff.

the deck name "Fruity Pebbles" sounds goofy. :whee:

30 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

that was it!

I used the zero casting cost Kobolds from legends, Orinthopters from Antiquities and some other zero casting cost stuff.

the deck name "Fruity Pebbles" sounds goofy. :whee:

As I recall, my preferred creature spread was Ornithopter (in a pinch, a flying blocker) / Shield Sphere (best defensive choice of the 0-costers) / Phyrexian Walker (best of the rest).

Anyway, it got that name because one of the early pro players, and it's escaping my brain right now who it was, said that anyone who actually tried to play that combo in competitive play would have to be fruity pebbles. Obviously, that took as the deck name. :insane:

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

For anyone who currently plays, do you use Tapped Out?

primarily for deck research and stuff, yeah. for playing games with other people (preferably friends as one gets tired of Izzet burn decks in continuous succession) Untap.in has proven rather useful.

BTW I mentioned to my son that CGC is now grading Magic cards and ended up getting a long lecture about how collectors are ruining 'MTG' by inflating prices of cards on the 'reserve list' and making it pay to win in many 'flavors of tournaments' so...

thanks CGC?

10 hours ago, thunsicker said:

BTW I mentioned to my son that CGC is now grading Magic cards and ended up getting a long lecture about how collectors are ruining 'MTG' by inflating prices of cards on the 'reserve list' and making it pay to win in many 'flavors of tournaments' so...

thanks CGC?

MtG has been "pay to win" for a long time in certain formats (Vintage and Standard). CGC won't change this. lol

17 hours ago, thunsicker said:

thanks CGC?

There's always Arena.  It's F2P.

17 hours ago, thunsicker said:

thanks CGC?

The reserve list was among the dumbest decisions WotC ever made with the game, because it guarantees that Vintage and Legacy (and to some extent other formats like competitive Commander) will always be the exclusive province of the ultra-rich.