• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify these?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

I'm about 1/3 the way through putting fresh bags and boards and mylars on most of them but once I go through them again and start the alphabetic order placement, I'll pull them aside and snap off a few pics of what I find.

In your own time... :popcorn:

17 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

There's 6,500 books to go through.

:whatthe:

20200820_155952_resized.thumb.jpg.b7957b57f5556724954600ddf87b5e90.jpg.d1567efec58366859f331df46edbb334.jpgLooks like a nice copy.

This is a UK Pence Price Variant, btw.

The only book from the run that brings any decent money is #66

1490831922_pm66001.thumb.jpg.1bc5985152f3725491888fd23254c9f2.jpg

I like the Indian Disney. There's a huge collecting interest in India. I recommend the GCD for research. Like I said before, there are gaps, but if you have stuff that they don't, you can fill the gaps.

There is also a very good thread on foreign collecting: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/246349-comic-book-collecting-with-a-foreign-variant-focus/?tab=comments#comment-5531193  There are bound to be others...(thumbsu

Edited by rakehell

9 hours ago, rakehell said:

In your own time... :popcorn:

:whatthe:

20200820_155952_resized.thumb.jpg.b7957b57f5556724954600ddf87b5e90.jpg.d1567efec58366859f331df46edbb334.jpgLooks like a nce copy.

This is a UK Pence Price Variant, btw.

The only book from the run that brings any decent money is #66

I like the Indian Disney. There's a huge collecting interest in India. I recommend the GCD for research. Like I said before, there are gaps, but if you have stuff that they don't, you can fill the gaps.

There is also a very good thread on foreign collecting: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/246349-comic-book-collecting-with-a-foreign-variant-focus/?tab=comments#comment-5531193  There are bound to be others...(thumbsu

Thank you. It's a fairly decent copy and I'm definitely happy to have it. I know there are at least a few more here somewhere and possibly some Disney books left and as I find them, I'll pool them together for pics. There were also quite a few Beatles music magazines from the U.K I believe. They were about the size of a "TV Guide" but about as thick as a normal comic book. I'm guessing about 10 or so and all in fairly nice condition. I checked them on Ebay to better identify them. I checked out GCD and saw the gaps you spoke of so I'll more than likely take a scan of the Indian copy and post it there for them. Thanks for the thread as I'll also check that out. Since I've never dealt with foreign comics, I haven't acquired much knowledge on them so I'll do some exploring and educate myself a bit. 

Yeah, the owner of the collection had 51 short boxes.  Short boxes are said to hold around 150-200 comics depending on bag/board thickness. Many of the books were in bags only... which I found incredibly disturbing but still managed to stay in excellent condition. I'm attributing that to the notion that he likely bagged them and left them there without disturbing them constantly. Since I've picked up the collection, I've added mylars and boards to everything worth keeping (so far, I think I'm around 2000 mylites :ohnoez:) but by the time I'm done with it, I'll feel better knowing they are preserved as they should be. Chances are, even that 6500 estimate is off a bit. He more than likely had closer to 200 per box which would put me between (150 comics per box x51= 7,650) or the more likely scenario... (200 comics per box x51=10,200) but since there were a few magazine boxes as well, I'll estimate around 8000-9000 pieces. This was definitely a cool collection and I'm happy to have been able to scoop it up. :x

Edited by Timeless icons

6 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I found this in The UK Price Guide. It shows the Saxophone cover as being the No 1 and the Drainpipe cover as being No 4, although it is not infallible. It does not have pictures of Nos 2 and 3.

ddd1.jpg

ddd2.jpg

RakeHell had mentioned that he had found the Saxophone cover to be either number 2 or 3 as another cover he listed was # 1, so I'm curious as to which source is accurate. They definitely don't make it easy. Thanks for looking that up! (thumbsu

49 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

RakeHell had mentioned that he had found the Saxophone cover to be either number 2 or 3 as another cover he listed was # 1, so I'm curious as to which source is accurate. They definitely don't make it easy. Thanks for looking that up! (thumbsu

No problem, I'll do some more digging (yes, I'm retired with a lot of time on my hands :bigsmile:). That is why I mentioned the indicias earlier, perhaps there is pertinent information there?

I'll try to do a screenshot to show what the UK guide suggests what these are "worth". The values given are a total for the set.

Screenshot_2020-08-21 The Comic Book Price Guide For Great Britain - DAFFY DUCK.png

11 minutes ago, Redshade said:

No problem, I'll do some more digging (yes, I'm retired with a lot of time on my hands :bigsmile:). That is why I mentioned the indicias earlier, perhaps there is pertinent information there?

I'll try to do a screenshot to show what the UK guide suggests what these are "worth". The values given are a total for the set.

Screenshot_2020-08-21 The Comic Book Price Guide For Great Britain - DAFFY DUCK.png

To me at least, there wasn't much in the way of pertinent information. Aside from being printed in Italy and being printed a few years after the original Gold Key stuff, information was bare bones. I wasn't expecting much value in reprinted material but it's nice to have them just the same. Books like this always make someone happy and always find the right collector.

23 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

20200820_160103_resized.jpg

Disney Today was the title used by LM Comics in India for their licensed reprints of various Disney titles. Most issues exist in both English and Hindi versions (check the interior, at least some of them have all-English covers). In my experience, the Hindi editions are far rarer than the English ones, but neither is anything like common. Foreign editions are a sufficiently niche market that it's tough to provide any sort of value to this book, but I will note that the preservation and condition rates for Disney Today are pretty terrible. This isn't the nicest copy of the title I've ever seen, but it's better than 90% of them (seriously, these Indian books tend to make the condition of the famously-terrible Italian reprints look downright mint).

Edited by Qalyar
trimmed what others said faster

44 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Disney Today was the title used by LM Comics in India for their licensed reprints of various Disney titles. Most issues exist in both English and Hindi versions (check the interior, at least some of them have all-English covers). In my experience, the Hindi editions are far rarer than the English ones, but neither is anything like common. Foreign editions are a sufficiently niche market that it's tough to provide any sort of value to this book, but I will note that the preservation and condition rates for Disney Today are pretty terrible. This isn't the nicest copy of the title I've ever seen, but it's better than 90% of them (seriously, these Indian books tend to make the condition of the famously-terrible Italian reprints look downright mint).

If this is on the higher end of the grading scale, then that's great news. :banana: Its nice to have found it. I also found these as well. The Duckburg Times were something I haven't seen before (from the U.S. of course) and the Beatles books, which looked to be small sized magazines, were nice too. There were probably 12-15 of them in total and most were probably in VF condition. 

20200821_160231_resized.jpg

20200821_160251_resized.jpg

20200821_160340~2_resized.jpg

Edited by Timeless icons

Barks Collector and Duckberg Times are both late 70s-early 80s fanzines dedicated (more or less) to the art of Carl Barks. They aren't all that common, but to my knowledge also aren't particularly valuable. Still fun finds, though.

6 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Barks Collector and Duckberg Times are both late 70s-early 80s fanzines dedicated (more or less) to the art of Carl Barks. They aren't all that common, but to my knowledge also aren't particularly valuable. Still fun finds, though.

I had looked them up as well and came to the same conclusion when I first saw them. Agreed, definitely fun finds though. 

14 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

I found this one today as well. 

Marvel  IT Uk copy 001.jpg

Great comic. I just love to see UK variants.
The Beatles magazines are 80s reprints of the original 60s mags and do not  have any value. Sorry.