• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help and information required

8 posts in this topic

I have a question about colour of the pages. They are brownish. How does the colour of the pages effect the grade value 9.5 or 9.8 etc. I have seen a 9.6 with white spots on the cover by the staples but with white pages. I can deduce that my copy has no marks on the spine or cover, but does have brownish pages. Any thoughts?

20200821_164221.thumb.jpg.7860d74a9303dc8dab2ca80ffb0289ab.jpg20200821_164213.thumb.jpg.6433de6c00f7c88f6f7cfc12860be13f.jpg20200821_164145.thumb.jpg.ccf71eaca408a176e9437ee44ce2859e.jpg20200821_164134.thumb.jpg.e345a868d3ae320992fd79f097770356.jpg

Very broadly speaking, CGC assigns page quality separately from numerical grade. However, certain PQ tiers place hard caps on numerical grade. Tan (even at the edges) caps you at 7.5, light tan at 8.5, and so on.

I'm pretty bad at judging their color terms, but I imagine this book might get the "Cream to Off-White" designation. They don't list a cap based on Cream pages, but I'd guess 9.2ish. Others might have more insight. And of course, if they deem this merely Off-White, that's only limited to 9.8 (so doesn't affect grade realistically).

You may get the answer here, but if not there’s a separate subforum for grading questions.

good luck

2 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Very broadly speaking, CGC assigns page quality separately from numerical grade. However, certain PQ tiers place hard caps on numerical grade. Tan (even at the edges) caps you at 7.5, light tan at 8.5, and so on.

I'm pretty bad at judging their color terms, but I imagine this book might get the "Cream to Off-White" designation. They don't list a cap based on Cream pages, but I'd guess 9.2ish. Others might have more insight. And of course, if they deem this merely Off-White, that's only limited to 9.8 (so doesn't affect grade realistically).

I'm not sure PQ caps the grade otherwise how do we explain this: :whatthe:   

WW200cgc9.6fc_zpsimoje9as.jpg

1 hour ago, ramrod44 said:

I'm not sure PQ caps the grade otherwise how do we explain this: :whatthe:   

WW200cgc9.6fc_zpsimoje9as.jpg

Well, their PQ guidelines don't SAY what Cream limits grades too, except that 9.8 is supposed to be OW or better. So, I suppose that means an otherwise 9.8 book with Cream PQ can be 9.6.

51 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Well, their PQ guidelines don't SAY what Cream limits grades too, except that 9.8 is supposed to be OW or better. So, I suppose that means an otherwise 9.8 book with Cream PQ can be 9.6.

It's interesting you said that cause I have another 9.6 copy with ow/w pages and when compared side by side, at least thru the slab, the cream copy looks better. hm

On 8/21/2020 at 5:37 PM, jaybuck43 said:

TMNT #1's pages are more newsprint than white comic.  Yours might be graded Off-white to white.  

3.jpg.b8ad19478dae56bd0419b879b505424f.j

Thank you. That really helps. As a newby, it's interesting to compare your print to mine. As someone who has touched it, it's funny to me to think these items were in the apartment of the authors, with them walking around the stacked boxes thinking if they had done the right thing investing that money to get the 3235 copies printed on someones over sized template, because it was the cheapest option. Great story I think. I just sent them to get boxed and am glad to say that I had the honor to read #1 and #2 in my hands. Not every being exposed to comics, I now live with some regret. This random find may inspire a whole new hobby.