• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Trading Cards
8 8

293 posts in this topic

I have a few of the 90's Marvel trading card sets and love flipping through them occasionally.  The 90 Set is my favorite and always gives me a blast of nostalgia when flipping through it.  I might be tempted to send some random cards in for grading if CGC does eventually open up their grading for Marvel cards.  Even though they are very common and easy to find, I could see this opening the door for a minor increased value in the cards and a much larger increase in higher grades.

• Administrator

There are tons or very rare 90s cards out there and even fewer that are graded at gem mint. I think a few people will be willing to hunt down 90 marvel cards in high grade as though will be the way to get a card that was over produced -- in a investment/ rare collectible. Plus could you imagine having all these cards under a CGC label next to their comic book counter part? So cool. 

18 minutes ago, Sketchcardhive said:

There are tons or very rare 90s cards out there and even fewer that are graded at gem mint. I think a few people will be willing to hunt down 90 marvel cards in high grade as though will be the way to get a card that was over produced -- in a investment/ rare collectible. Plus could you imagine having all these cards under a CGC label next to their comic book counter part? So cool. 

I think that'll be the part that'll drive most people to buying them and getting them graded.  I could see people trying to get matching grades too which drive up the price all around.  Who knows though.  The only reason why I wouldn't consider sending in a bunch would be it being cost prohibitive to send in cards that are worth a quarter (what a majority are worth) for grading at 10 bucks a pop.

I don't collect cards anymore...haven't for more than 20 years.  I have Marvel cards from the 90's (Annuals, Universe, etc.), but I'm not getting them graded.  I invest in grading comics instead.  I actually have a sales thread under 'Misc', but I have so many commons for DC, Marvel, etc., that I can't list them all.  I was a huge fan of the Hildebrandt  series in 1994 or 1995.  I forget.  Lol

2 minutes ago, Sketchcardhive said:

That 1994 set is great!

Yes it is!!!  I originally started collecting Marvel cards with Masterpieces '92.  I stopped collecting around 1997/1998...with a few odds and ends in the very late '90s.  If I had any high end premium cards worth grading, I would do so.  I'm more in the market of selling off my collection, including my comics...but those tend to be more lucrative. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Sketchcardhive said:

I'm always looking for MCC 98 cards, MM96, and Marvel Onslaught.

Good luck.  I pretty much stopped collecting around '96/'97.  I didn't get any more Marvel after Metal and Overpower in 1995...I think.  Lol.

21 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

I love the 1974 and 1975 Marvel stickers produced by TOPPS. They had cheesy captions on them - they were great. And the backs were puzzle pieces that formed either FF #100 or Conan #1 after you used the stickers. You can find loose singles and unopened packs on eBay. I bought a few unopened packs for $15 each at SDCC in 2018 from a card seller.

Info on these sets can be found HERE

My favorites:

1975 Topps Comic Book Heroes Stickers 21image.jpeg.ce9a5e64ab063dc1ea054a988ede6eb7.jpegObsessive Comic Disorder | 1975 Topps Chewing Gum Sticker- Marvel...

Whoa!!!  Love that Ghost Rider!!!

41 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I think I still have a bunch of these in a box at my parents' house, but I did find this one the other night when going through some of my old bins here at my house. Didn't realize people still collected them. Any I should look out for if I find that box?

Cosmic Spiderman front.jpeg

Cosmic Spiderman back.jpeg

Anyone else remember how you could tear a tiny hole in the packs to see if there was a hologram in the pack? The holgrams were always on the top and I would go to Toys R Us and scratch packs and buy all the ones with holograms and then sell them to guys at school who were into the cards. Good times lol

Absolutely loved those early 90s Marvel sets.  The original 1990 set was a big reason that I got into comics - introduced me to The New Warriors, Darkhawk, and tons of other villains and heroes that I hadn't previously heard of.  I would absolutely submit and collect those if CGC starts accepting :cloud9: