• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got my first Pokemon order back...
3 3

33 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Man, imagine if comics had subgrades...

Yeah, as I said in the video too, I just love subgrades. It lets people shop for the exact condition of item they want and allows for a more nuanced market where strong and weak grades can be properly value. Also think it just looks better with subgrades on the label. 

Edited by EdisonS

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Man, imagine if comics had subgrades...

I agree. Closest we have is on multiple covers where it states interior/exterior cover grades.  Another thing I think is if they did comic sub grades it would help cut down on people second guessing some of the grades, but would severely limit the already illusive and coveted 10. Couldn't even imagine any of the top grails getting a quad 10. They are already crazy prices and really couldn't fathom the new nosebleed levels those would reach.

3 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I agree. Closest we have is on multiple covers where it states interior/exterior cover grades.  Another thing I think is if they did comic sub grades it would help cut down on people second guessing some of the grades, but would severely limit the already illusive and coveted 10. Couldn't even imagine any of the top grails getting a quad 10. They are already crazy prices and really couldn't fathom the new nosebleed levels those would reach.

I agree on that, but that's why I was going another direction on this and thinking getting subgrades in comics would become a new nightmare. A 9.8 would no longer be as cool as a quad 9.8, that type of stuff. Then again now that I say it, it could help those who keep asking "is this really a 9.4/9.6/9.8". 

23 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I agree on that, but that's why I was going another direction on this and thinking getting subgrades in comics would become a new nightmare. A 9.8 would no longer be as cool as a quad 9.8, that type of stuff. Then again now that I say it, it could help those who keep asking "is this really a 9.4/9.6/9.8". 

Completely agree. On the flip side would be a little cheaper to get a set in 9.8  if you weren't as worried about the full quad.

I like sub grading in breaking down each portion of the grade and coming to the final grade.  It helps explain the grade a bit better rather than "9.0 creasing to cover".  Would have like to see comic grading start like this but it would indeed be a nightmare to add it at this stage of the game.

Funny to see the OP say that the price is deceptive.  It's the same for comic grading when you just look at fees per grading scale and don't factor in shipping which can get pricey.  

10 minutes ago, Wees 2e said:

That stuck out to me too. I'd say the problem has more to do with reading comprehension then being "ripped off" by CGC.

He said deceptive not "ripped off" and I kind of agree with him.  I just mentioned the same comic comparison in pricing but didn't mean to say that he was wrong or not reading the description.  

18 minutes ago, Wees 2e said:

It's not deceptive if you know how to read (thumbsu 

Its a typical sales practice of "as low as such as such" with leaving out further details of what increases the price and what the customer is responsible for.  While it IS a standard practice, on some levels, it IS deceptive not being upfront about the ACTUAL charges that include shipping AND handling fees.

28 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Its a typical sales practice of "as low as such as such" with leaving out further details of what increases the price and what the customer is responsible for.  While it IS a standard practice, on some levels, it IS deceptive not being upfront about the ACTUAL charges that include shipping AND handling fees.

Yeah no where do I mention that I feel ripped off. If anything, I praised the service for the quality and turnaround at a reasonable price. 

Just something I thought I’d mention in the review as while some people might just see the “as low as” price, I’d say most costumers aren’t submitting reaching bulk requirements, factoring in subgrades, or return shipping. Just the extra pieces to be aware of. 

49 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Are 10's common in card collecting? 

I can only speak for Hockey cards and yes (compared to comics). Here is how common they are 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lot-10-1990-O-Pee-Chee-Premier-Jaromir-Jagr-ROOKIE-RC-50-ALL-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/353206407816?hash=item523cbe1288:g:UFQAAOSw0M9fY~S-

Look how cheap you can buy this 10 rookie card for 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1990-Upper-Deck-Hockey-Jaromir-Jagr-ROOKIE-RC-356-SGC-10-GEM-MINT/353206409096?hash=item523cbe1788:g:PG8AAOSwlJhfY~UF

Edited by William-James88

15 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Are 10's common in card collecting? 

Largely depends on the card and language. Japanese cards tend to be better quality and grade more consistently at a 10.  If you look at this Rayquaza GX, we see that most of the copies graded have been 10s. If we compare to a 1st Edition Base Set Charizard, there is a huge spread of grades.