• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,211 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

Since we are talking about speculating what are your thoughts about the next (near future) sales of 9.8’s of the following issues:

#1 first print

#1 second print

#3 nycc variant

#4 recall

I think 1st print 9.8's will stay in the high 10's of thousands, $60K-$90K. Would be very surprised to see that break $100K. A 2nd print 9.8 I would LOVE to see hit an auction! The way that book is selling and has gone up, I could see a sale as high as $20K-$25K, or more. The last 9.8 sold in February 2019 for $7500. Also keep in mind the 2nd print is considerably rarer than the 1st print as well. There's 28 1st prints in 9.8 and only 6 second prints. Not sure about the other two books.

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Also keep in mind the 2nd print is considerably rarer than the 1st print as well. There's 28 1st prints in 9.8 and only 6 second prints. Not sure about the other two books.

It's just less slabbed, I think.  Pretty sure the print run on the 1st print of 1 was 3000 and the 2nd print was 6000.

I really should just look at the old issues, they said what the print runs were a few times... not in the issues themselves, but in later issues when people asked.

28 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

It's just less slabbed, I think.  Pretty sure the print run on the 1st print of 1 was 3000 and the 2nd print was 6000.

I really should just look at the old issues, they said what the print runs were a few times... not in the issues themselves, but in later issues when people asked.

No that’s 100% true, your print numbers are correct and double the amount. Yet, it’s not easy to get high grades with those black covers and at least at the moment and for whatever reason, it’s still considerably rarer. Will we see more 2nd print 9.8’s get graded, wouldn’t be surprised. For now though, more than 1/4th less.

Edited by LDarkseid1

3 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

Most of the early print runs are listed in Turtlemania Special. However I don’t have a copy to check. 1st print was 3250 (corrected from 3000 a few years ago) and 2nd print was 6000 but I can’t remember the rest. 

3rd print was estimated to be at 35K. Not sure after that. That's correct on the TMNT 1 being closer to 3,250, A website called "recalled comics" explains it was due to covering spoilage.

http://www.recalledcomics.com/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles1.php

Edited by LDarkseid1

Somewhere in the 'Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Thread" there is a list of the early print runs up to #5 iirc but for the life of me I cannot locate it. Since there are 312 pages to go through I'm doubtful I have the patience to look anymore than I have...It may even be in another thread...but it's there, somewhere...

1 hour ago, pubmonkey said:

Somewhere in the 'Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Thread" there is a list of the early print runs up to #5 iirc but for the life of me I cannot locate it. Since there are 312 pages to go through I'm doubtful I have the patience to look anymore than I have...It may even be in another thread...but it's there, somewhere...

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/80452-tmnt-question/?do=findComment&comment=1481272

1 hour ago, pubmonkey said:

Any indication that page quality is making a difference in price lately?

Also FTR always felt #2 was very undervalued.  Not like 15,000 is a giant print run and it’s such a great cover.

And for whatever reason I rarely saw 9.8 #2s with white pages... it always seems to be ow/w.

1 hour ago, szav said:

Any indication that page quality is making a difference in price lately?

Also FTR always felt #2 was very undervalued.  Not like 15,000 is a giant print run and it’s such a great cover.

And for whatever reason I rarely saw 9.8 #2s with white pages... it always seems to be ow/w.

TMNT #2 is very undervalued, if the prices for TMNT #1 3rd prints are any indication.  Both printings of TMNT #2 are older (and fewer were made) than the TMNT #1 3rd printings... so any copy of TMNT #2 is closer to the beginning of the Turtles than a TMNT #1 3rd print.

Edited by valiantman

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

TMNT #2 is very undervalued, if the prices for TMNT #1 3rd prints are any indication.  Both printings of TMNT #2 are older (and fewer were made) than the TMNT #1 3rd printings... so any copy of TMNT #2 is closer to the beginning of the Turtles than a TMNT #1 3rd print.

Is there an official print run with #2 both printings as there is with #1? :shy: forgive my ignorance :) 

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

30,000 is the 2nd print sorry to have asked a question answered recently, I thought this post was for #1 only lol 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Is there an official print run with #2 both printings as there is with #1? :shy: forgive my ignorance :) 

@sckao gets credit for the info ^^ 

TMNT #1 (first printing) - 3,000

TMNT #1 (second printing) - 6,000

TMNT #1 (third printing) - 35,000

TMNT #1 (fourth printing) - 60,000

TMNT #2 (first printing) - 15,000

TMNT #2 (second printing) - 30,000

TMNT #3 (convention edition - I'll try to find info about this) - 500

TMNT #3 - 50,000

TMNT #4 - 60,000

TMNT #5 - 60,000

TMNT #6 - 65,000

TMNT #7 - 95,000

Gizmo - 32,000

Prime Slime Tales - 35,000

Fugitoid - 60,000

Michaelangelo micro-series - 60,000

Raphael micro-series - 60,000

Donatello micro-series - projected over 100,000

Gobbledygook #1 (1984) - 150

Gobbledygook #2 (1984) - 150

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/mirage/turtlemania/mania.htm

22 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@sckao gets credit for the info ^^ 

TMNT #1 (first printing) - 3,000

TMNT #1 (second printing) - 6,000

TMNT #1 (third printing) - 35,000

TMNT #1 (fourth printing) - 60,000

TMNT #2 (first printing) - 15,000

TMNT #2 (second printing) - 30,000

TMNT #3 (convention edition - I'll try to find info about this) - 500

TMNT #3 - 50,000

TMNT #4 - 60,000

TMNT #5 - 60,000

TMNT #6 - 65,000

TMNT #7 - 95,000

Gizmo - 32,000

Prime Slime Tales - 35,000

Fugitoid - 60,000

Michaelangelo micro-series - 60,000

Raphael micro-series - 60,000

Donatello micro-series - projected over 100,000

Gobbledygook #1 (1984) - 150

Gobbledygook #2 (1984) - 150

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/mirage/turtlemania/mania.htm

I’d be soo scared buying a Gobbledegook 1 or 2, and I guess without having Kevin or Peter confirm the copy directly. I get why CGC has never graded them considering the paper quality. Of course the other company didn’t care lol. The one that rhymes with Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Edited by LDarkseid1

10 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’d be soo scared buying a Gobbledegook 1 or 2, and I guess without having Kevin or Peter confirm the copy directly. I get why CGC has never graded them considering the paper quality. Of course the other company didn’t care lol. The one that rhymes with Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Gobbledygook isn't nearly as "exciting" to me once I realized it only has TMNT #1 on the back cover and it says "NOW ON SALE".

It TMNT #1 was already on sale, then Gobbledygook is just an advertisement, not even a preview, certainly not a "first appearance".  Rarer?  Yes.  Better?  No possible way.

Gobbledygook1back.jpg

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Gobbledygook isn't nearly as "exciting" to me once I realized it only has TMNT #1 on the back cover and it says "NOW ON SALE".

It TMNT #1 was already on sale, then Gobbledygook is just an advertisement, not even a preview, certainly not a "first appearance".  Rarer?  Yes.  Better?  No possible way.

Gobbledygook1back.jpg

No that makes complete sense and I agree. I guess Gobbledygook is comparable to Detective Comics 26 with the Action 1 ad. I’d much rather own a Tec 26 to be clear than a gobble haha

Edited by LDarkseid1

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Gobbledygook1back.jpg

Given the importance of Fugetoid and the Triceratons in the first 10 issues of TMNT, I disagree (since this is their first appearance).  Yes, it's "just" a house ad for TMNT #1, but it also has the first appearances for two of the Turtles most important groups for the early mirage turtles.  I mean TMNT 4-7 are based entirely off of these characters.  

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No that makes complete sense and I agree. I guess Gobbledygook is comparable to Detective Comics 26 with the Action 1 ad. I’d much rather own a Tec 26 to be clear than a gobble haha

Detective Comics #26 doesn't have an Action Comics #1 ad... they're from different years.