• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,222 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, tvindy said:

What a let down.  And also a great buy for someone.  There's definitely been a down tick in price lately.  I think the explanations above are all factors. 

I do think the $240k and 245k set a high mark.  For those that have one to sell, I think it's worth finding a buyer in that realm rather than going to auction.  88k for 9.6 and 58k for 9.4 are also high marks (both with sigs on inside cover).  And now it looks like the new bottom of the market correction is being found.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the 9.8 going to auction.  It has to be at least 150k I'd think... we'll see.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, DPV said:

What a let down.  And also a great buy for someone.  There's definitely been a down tick in price lately.  I think the explanations above are all factors. 

I do think the $240k and 245k set a high mark.  For those that have one to sell, I think it's worth finding a buyer in that realm rather than going to auction.  88k for 9.6 and 58k for 9.4 are also high marks (both with sigs on inside cover).  And now it looks like the new bottom of the market correction is being found.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the 9.8 going to auction.  It has to be at least 150k I'd think... we'll see.

Where/When is the 9.8 going to auction? 

-J.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:02 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm familiar with that one.  

I thought the other guy was saying another 9.8 was coming up for an auction.  

-J.

My bad, I miss read your comment. I think that one is at comic connect too.

Personally, I think these sky rocketing price were unsustainable and are settling back down to more realistic prices. I think the 9.8 will go between $150 - $180k.

Still amazing price gains compared to a few years ago.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:33 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Where/When is the 9.8 going to auction? 

-J.

9.8 white pages on comic connect - auction starts 11/22/21

I think after both a 240 and a 245k, the floor is around 150... I'm hoping still for 200+ here... and I think it will get that.  There's such a premium on 9.8s.  We'll see :popcorn:

On 10/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, Subby1938 said:

I think the turtles are slightly cooling and this auction won’t hit 200K mark. Just putting my horse in race here for fun . 

I'm sticking with 125-150k.  There may be a premium on a 9.8, but 4× over a 9.6? Not really.  There are 30 blue label 9.8's and only 54, 9.6's.  A 9.8 should be no more than about 2-2.5× a 9.6 IMO.

-J.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:06 PM, Icculus308win said:

My thoughts and sentiments exactly🤘
I’d even say $150,000 

Yep quoting myself here, because upon going to Chi-Town Comic Con this evening...I have possibly been undervaluing this book…very much so. 
There was quite a bit of talk about 9.8 #1s and specifically CC’s 9.8 Nov auction book. I talked to handful of gents who have no doubts that book will reach $200,000+. Couple legit hombres who said they’d pay whatever it takes for one. So now I’m really gonna be:popcorn: as I watch the auction and possibly eating a crapp load of crow upon hammer price. 

PS     
If any Turtle guys n gals are going to the con, make sure to check out “Red Hood Comics” booth. Rob is a helluva nice guy, with a shiat load of TMNT books. Like….a whole wall of em lol Never seen so many slabbed TMNT books at a booth! I had so much fun talking to him that I didn’t take a single pic. I know, I know - this post sucks without pics, I’m sorry everyone - totally my bad 
 :makepoint:

Edited by Icculus308win

Curious to hear others thoughts on TMNT1 1st print. It's a book I've had on my list of "books to sell" but I am trying to time the best exit point. I'd just be reinvesting the money in the S&P 500. Do you think it has more upside potential in the short term or is now a good time to sell? I have a CGC 8.5. 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:15 PM, DPV said:

9.8 white pages on comic connect - auction starts 11/22/21

I think after both a 240 and a 245k, the floor is around 150... I'm hoping still for 200+ here... and I think it will get that.  There's such a premium on 9.8s.  We'll see :popcorn:

That's a great point and one I've observed with this book and many others over this market boom. The 9.8's relationship to price has shot up multiples while all the lower grades have shot up as well, but not by as much.

This 11/22/21 auction is of the same book that just "sold" for $245K  on 9/1/21. So the sale likely fell through and the original owner is auctioning it this time.

Edited by GM8

On 10/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, GM8 said:

That's a great point and one I've observed with this book and many others over this market boom. The 9.8's relationship to price has shot up multiples while all the lower grades have shot up as well, but not by as much.

This 11/22/21 auction is of the same book that just "sold" for $245K  on 9/1/21. So the sale likely fell through and the original owner is auctioning it this time.

Unless they broke the book out of the case and resubmitted it, it's not the same book.  

9/1/21 Serial: 3866366001

11/22/21 auction Serial: 3888170001

On 10/26/2021 at 1:33 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Unless they broke the book out of the case and resubmitted it, it's not the same book.  

9/1/21 Serial: 3866366001

11/22/21 auction Serial: 3888170001

you're correct, my mistake. had the wrong photo up on my screen. thanks for picking that up!

It looks to be a newer serial # that I don't have any data on it in my database going back to 2005.

Edited by GM8

On 10/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, GM8 said:

you're correct, my mistake. had the wrong photo up on my screen. thanks for picking that up!

It looks to be a newer serial # that I don't have any data on it in my database going back to 2005.

It was graded on 8/5/2021 (the November one) so either its a CPR or someone submitted a raw book and hit the JACKPOT.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:03 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Curious to hear others thoughts on TMNT1 1st print. It's a book I've had on my list of "books to sell" but I am trying to time the best exit point. I'd just be reinvesting the money in the S&P 500. Do you think it has more upside potential in the short term or is now a good time to sell? I have a CGC 8.5. 

It seems like the market has cooled off for lower grades.  I've had a CGC 6.5 listed for sale on mycomicshop for three weeks now.  I've gradually lowered the price with almost no interest.  I've decided to just sell it directly to Mycomicshop.  I'd say hold if you don't really need the money right away.