• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,211 posts in this topic

I can vouch for the fact that during the time between '97 and '03, most Turtles collectibles were dirt cheap (and you'd get a funny look if you asked dealers for them). I paid $10 for Archie original art pages and $100 for Eastman and Laird early pages. I also sold a ton of TMNT items dirt cheap at that time, among them an MOC Scratch and 2 bagged Chef Boyardee Super Shredders.  :facepalm: I'm not sure why I didn't buy a #1, 1st printing at that point in time, but I waited until 2013.

There is a TMNT 1 2nd print on Comic Link currently for auction.  https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1542855

Quick question, it states 9.8 but I noted that it received a grade of 9.6 & 9.8 on the external and internal covers respectively.  How is that factored into market value?  Thanks.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:02 AM, BDubs said:

There is a TMNT 1 2nd print on Comic Link currently for auction.  https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1542855

Quick question, it states 9.8 but I noted that it received a grade of 9.6 & 9.8 on the external and internal covers respectively.  How is that factored into market value?  Thanks.

The important part here is that it's graded as a 9.8 based on the interior cover. The exterior cover is a 9.6 but has kept that inner cover safe all these years. Double covers are in demand and can place a premium on a book. However, a 9.8 in this particular book with a single cover will already have a premium so I'm not sure how much the double cover will affect the overall price. Either way this'll be appealing to many buyers on many levels so expect to see this comic attain record price at the hammer. I'm looking forward to seeing the result as it has been ages since a 9.8 sold in the public domain.

There are many examples of double covers with the TMNT books, #3 especially, but they appear to be limited to the oversize editions from the original run circa 1984. Does anyone know of any examples with the regular size books?

On 1/13/2022 at 10:32 AM, pubmonkey said:

The important part here is that it's graded as a 9.8 based on the interior cover. The exterior cover is a 9.6 but has kept that inner cover safe all these years. Double covers are in demand and can place a premium on a book. However, a 9.8 in this particular book with a single cover will already have a premium so I'm not sure how much the double cover will affect the overall price. Either way this'll be appealing to many buyers on many levels so expect to see this comic attain record price at the hammer. I'm looking forward to seeing the result as it has been ages since a 9.8 sold in the public domain.

There are many examples of double covers with the TMNT books, #3 especially, but they appear to be limited to the oversize editions from the original run circa 1984. Does anyone know of any examples with the regular size books?

Michelangelo #1 and the second print of #32 both have double covers available on eBay. There are a bunch of others out there too.  

On 1/22/2022 at 3:02 PM, sorrenmj said:

What did you just buy? The link takes you only to eBay page?

Oh sorry I don’t know why it does that

Meant to say I bought a TMNT #2 9.6 condition first print

wasnt sure if it was a decent prize or not considering I’ve just stumbled on como link for auctions

only reasons I’m back to buying comics is because I could have bought a #1 turtles first print 9.8 for 4000 almost 10 years ago thought I’d might not want to miss the comic boat again 

On 1/23/2022 at 1:39 AM, Ed1990 said:

Oh sorry I don’t know why it does that

Meant to say I bought a TMNT #2 9.6 condition first print

wasnt sure if it was a decent prize or not considering I’ve just stumbled on como link for auctions

only reasons I’m back to buying comics is because I could have bought a #1 turtles first print 9.8 for 4000 almost 10 years ago thought I’d might not want to miss the comic boat again 

It seems like a very good price to me. #2 is now a 1k comic it seems. A 9.6 at just over 1k seems good to me. Congrats!

So, my brain in action... see if this makes any sense... There are several low quantity CGC 9.8 in the TMNT Mirage Studios First Run 84' - .  I have seen a couple CBCS 9.8 out in the wild that I could get my hands on to THEN have pressed and Submitted at CGC for the 9.8 status to help in my quest of having all issues in CGC 9.8 respectively.

Has anyone tried this idea prior?  I know I know there is the apparent risk associated with this idea of it grading down but stubborn is stubborn and the quest must be fulfilled as prophesized 

I had this same idea with Sonic the Hedgehog... Many issues with zero HG copies in the census, but if there are no Registry completionists out there, there may be no demand. hm

TMNT is a more popular media franchise, of course, and more comic-book based vs Sonic, although both have movies and video games based on their characters.

On 1/27/2022 at 4:56 PM, sckao said:

I had this same idea with Sonic the Hedgehog... Many issues with zero HG copies in the census, but if there are no Registry completionists out there, there may be no demand. hm

TMNT is a more popular media franchise, of course, and more comic-book based vs Sonic, although both have movies and video games based on their characters.

Lol I thought the same  :)

@frozentundraguy  gave me a Newsstand, it's a nice chimney sweeper of a cover, it has classic liners of jokes.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol I thought the same  :)

@frozentundraguy  gave me a Newsstand, it's a nice chimney sweeper of a cover, it has classic liners of jokes.

Given my history of selling books and then a year later watching the prices sky rocket, I predict Sonic the Hedgehog will take off in value sooner than later. I still have two issue's of the initial 1993 series of 4, before the main series began. One slabbed copy of issue #2 and this raw copy of issue #3. This issue does have a small spine crease by the upper staple so it's not slab worthy IMHO.

image.jpeg.cc7a18a14cf9384d8d1c289517c12e90.jpeg

On 1/27/2022 at 12:39 PM, BDubs said:

I have seen a couple CBCS 9.8 out in the wild that I could get my hands on to THEN have pressed and Submitted at CGC for the 9.8 status to help in my quest of having all issues in CGC 9.8 respectively.

Has anyone tried this idea prior?  I know I know there is the apparent risk associated with this idea of it grading down but stubborn is stubborn and the quest must be fulfilled as prophesized 

Well, instead of being such a pessimist and automatically assuming that it would grade down, have you ever consider the possiblity that it just might do the unimaginable and grade up, which would then leave you with the single highest graded copy of TMNT 1 in the whole wide world.  :bigsmile:  :banana:  :whee:

On 1/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Given my history of selling books and then a year later watching the prices sky rocket, I predict Sonic the Hedgehog will take off in value sooner than later. I still have two issue's of the initial 1993 series of 4, before the main series began. One slabbed copy of issue #2 and this raw copy of issue #3. This issue does have a small spine crease by the upper staple so it's not slab worthy IMHO.

I could definitely see that happening.

While we are OT, perhaps you'll enjoy the original box art to one of the early sonic games:     Triple Trouble by Greg Martin

Edited by Bronty