• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,222 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, tvindy said:

I didn't know about the 9.6 on Heritage. That could definitely have an effect, especially since it's signed and has white page.

It won't have an effect at all.  The blue label may go for more.  Signed copies have a smaller market.   

-J.

1984 Mirage Studios Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TMNT #1 First Print Signed by Pete Laird and Kevin Eastman – CGC 9.8, White Pages

1525061__5857d28e-6e5f-42d2-9ced-f686962

1525061__5857d28e-6e5f-42d2-9ced-f686962

1525062__e8100ea9-03fa-4574-8ea0-ccbe9a2
Final Price:
$192,000 w/ Buyer's Premium
$160,000 Winning Bid
11 Bids
Show bid history

Ended:
Sat, 5/21/22, 09:30 PM

Bid Amount:
Bid Date/Time:
$160,000
May 16th, 12:22 PM
$150,000
May 9th, 9:10 PM
$140,000
May 8th, 7:57 AM
$130,000
$126,111
$116,111
May 7th, 6:34 PM
$70,000
May 6th, 8:30 PM
$65,000
May 6th, 8:30 PM
$60,000
May 5th, 8:13 AM
$55,000
May 5th, 7:01 AM
$50,000
May 4th, 8:33 PM

On 5/21/2022 at 2:51 AM, oakman29 said:

I beg to differ, but then again what do I know.

It’s undeniable prices are way lower in comics and cards and whatever else is not a real investment . Beg to differ all you want prices are down huge 

On 5/23/2022 at 9:02 PM, Subby1938 said:

It’s undeniable prices are way lower in comics and cards and whatever else is not a real investment . Beg to differ all you want prices are down huge 

That totally depends on which books you're tracking (and their grades) and your definition of "huge". Some of my blue chip bronze age are down around 10-20% from their highs while many of my golden/silver age are higher now than they were at any point in 2021 (Daredevil 1, ASM1, AF15, FF5, etc for some examples). 

Edited by rsouxlja7

On 5/23/2022 at 4:23 PM, Jaydogrules said:

It won't have an effect at all.  The blue label may go for more.  Signed copies have a smaller market.   

-J.

Interesting. That does make sense, though. 

On 5/24/2022 at 12:46 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

That totally depends on which books you're tracking (and their grades) and your definition of "huge". Some of my blue chip bronze age are down around 10-20% from their highs while many of my golden/silver age are higher now than they were at any point in 2021 (Daredevil 1, ASM1, AF15, FF5, etc for some examples). 

Try selling them for the premium …. All Marvel is down , golden age is obviously rarer 

On 5/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, tvindy said:

My 9.6 TMNT #1 is about to go up for auction on Clink:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022may%26pg%3D2%23Item_1560433&id=1560433&itemType=0

Before the stock market and crypto crash, I predicted that it would go for about $80,000. Now I don't know, but I'm betting it will go for less than that. I'd be curious to know what you guys think.

I threw a couple bids in and am currently winning at $26k... I expect we will see it double and perhaps even triple current bid price this time next week.  Very nice book!  

Whether due to a crypto collapse, inflation, other economic factors or all, or even none, of the above, a quarter of a million dollars for a TMNT 1 9.8 always felt, to me, to be disproportionate to the value of the grades below 9.8. So 9.8s leveling down to $150K or even less does not automatically indicate to me a complete recession in the comics hobby; it could just be a case of a comic finding its own level as the sample size of sales increases.   

On 5/26/2022 at 10:43 AM, Ryan. said:

Whether due to a crypto collapse, inflation, other economic factors or all, or even none, of the above, a quarter of a million dollars for a TMNT 1 9.8 always felt, to me, to be disproportionate to the value of the grades below 9.8. So 9.8s leveling down to $150K or even less does not automatically indicate to me a complete recession in the comics hobby; it could just be a case of a comic finding its own level as the sample size of sales increases.   

As someone who has cofounded and exited a few crypto financial companies on the payments side, I agree with your take.  Markets consolidate and volatility in collectibles will always be present.  

Collectables are not assets and never were . I can’t take my comics to the bank as use them to secure loans . That’s where newcomers and those with no experience in this hobby need to be weary . We are not talking about golden age growls where there are under 50 copies in existence so park your money where you like but the fact these markets took off during Covid when most of the world was being locked down not working seemed very odd to me . 

my two cents anyways 

On 5/26/2022 at 2:05 PM, Subby1938 said:

Collectables are not assets and never were . I can’t take my comics to the bank as use them to secure loans . That’s where newcomers and those with no experience in this hobby need to be weary . We are not talking about golden age growls where there are under 50 copies in existence so park your money where you like but the fact these markets took off during Covid when most of the world was being locked down not working seemed very odd to me . 

my two cents anyways 

They're called collateral loans and almost every major bank offers them.  The trick is that the collection has to be worth ALOT.  BoA for instance requires it to be a $10 million collection and only give out loans STARTING at $5 million. https://www.privatebank.bankofamerica.com/articles/your-art-collection-as-loan-collateral.html

On 5/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, jaybuck43 said:

They're called collateral loans and almost every major bank offers them.  The trick is that the collection has to be worth ALOT.  BoA for instance requires it to be a $10 million collection and only give out loans STARTING at $5 million. https://www.privatebank.bankofamerica.com/articles/your-art-collection-as-loan-collateral.html

Wasn't that the premise behind the art warehouse or whatever in Tenet?

On 5/26/2022 at 4:16 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Wasn't that the premise behind the art warehouse or whatever in Tenet?

No.  The warehouse in tenet is a jurisdiction free warehouse.  It is used to avoid paying taxes, because it's technically not cleared customs.  So what happens there is you fly the item there but don't "bring it in country" and avoid paying the taxes on it, then transfer it to someone else in the same situation.  Great way to avoid taxes.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:34 PM, jaybuck43 said:

No.  The warehouse in tenet is a jurisdiction free warehouse.  It is used to avoid paying taxes, because it's technically not cleared customs.  So what happens there is you fly the item there but don't "bring it in country" and avoid paying the taxes on it, then transfer it to someone else in the same situation.  Great way to avoid taxes.

Ah, got it, thanks - I thought there was some mention of borrowing money against the art tax free using the art as collateral or something like that.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:37 AM, BDubs said:

I threw a couple bids in and am currently winning at $26k... I expect we will see it double and perhaps even triple current bid price this time next week.  Very nice book!  

I like your optimism. And it would certainly be cool if the winner was somebody from this group.

Excited to see this in reviewing sales this week on Ebay.  I've purchase from comicanuck TMNT #43 & #37 in 9.8 and seems to be a nice enough guy.  His sales though are outliers to the standard prices the last month or so... Maybe he roped in a customer looking to complete a quest similar to myself in February and March... :facepalm:

Either way I have four #16s I believe at CGC that should get 9.4 - 9.8s after press and grading... :wishluck:

Sold May 23, 2022Sold Item

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #16 CGC 9.6 NM+ WP Mirage GRAIL!

Opens in a new window or tab

New (Other)
$2,599.99
Seller: comicanuck (1,478) 100%View seller's store: Comic-Crazy-Canuck
or Best Offer
+$15.00 shipping
View similar active items

Another
Awesome Book! Thanks!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #13 CGC 9.6 NM+ WP Mirage GRAIL! (#265593362659)
o***m (64)
US $1,599.99
Past m

Edited by BDubs