• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,222 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, GM8 said:

Final sale price: $156K, a 16% haircut from the previous sale of $186K on 9/8/22 and a 37.6% discount from the all-time-high price of $250K set on 10/13/21 on Comic Connect. Is this the new bottom? Time will tell.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:22 PM, GM8 said:

Final sale price: $156K, a 16% haircut from the previous sale of $186K on 9/8/22 and a 37.6% discount from the all-time-high price of $250K set on 10/13/21 on Comic Connect. Is this the new bottom? Time will tell.

5 times higher than prices from 5-6 years ago still seems great.  Only sucks for the handful of people who bought at the absolute peak.

On 12/16/2022 at 6:23 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Does anyone know for sure if unsigned copies of a 9.8 or any grade are more desirable than the signed copies? Unsigned seems to be getting harder to find I'm finding 

On 1/9/2023 at 1:13 PM, sorrenmj said:

Does anyone know for sure if unsigned copies of a 9.8 or any grade are more desirable than the signed copies? Unsigned seems to be getting harder to find I'm finding 

For the first prints at least, there isn't a discernable difference in pricing, from what I have witnessed (also, many early signatures were on the interior covers of these books). However, one book that sold on Comic Link back in 2021 was a large price dip from the going rate (both before and after). The only difference was that the particular book had blue/red and green signature and sketch all over the cover. I think people are turned off by overt defacing of covers with sigs.

On 1/11/2023 at 1:34 PM, GM8 said:

For the first prints at least, there isn't a discernable difference in pricing, from what I have witnessed (also, many early signatures were on the interior covers of these books). However, one book that sold on Comic Link back in 2021 was a large price dip from the going rate (both before and after). The only difference was that the particular book had blue/red and green signature and sketch all over the cover. I think people are turned off by overt defacing of covers with sigs.

What about the two signature series that sold nearly at the same time, (on eBay?) For $50,000 a piece? Compared to blue label that was $100k+?

I didn't know if those sales ever went through, but sounded like someone needed the money idk 😐🤣

On 1/11/2023 at 1:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What about the two signature series that sold nearly at the same time, (on eBay?) For $50,000 a piece? Compared to blue label that was $100k+?

I didn't know if those sales ever went through, but sounded like someone needed the money idk 😐🤣

Huh. Can't find it in any of the old threads. ???

Did I dream it? @MAR1979

On 1/11/2023 at 7:34 PM, GM8 said:

Thanks for the insight. I was starting to think that people are generally preferring the verified signature series nowadays, with signatures over the cover. It does seem like it is much harder to find non signed books, raw or slabbed these days. For me personally I don't mind the interior signed books with signatures from back in the day. I have a #1 and #3 Laird photo variant both signed on the inside by K Eastman and P Laird and I kinda like that they are there. It's their signature from 1984/1985, before who they went on to become - for me it doesn't get better than that!

On 1/11/2023 at 4:19 PM, sorrenmj said:

Thanks for the insight. I was starting to think that people are generally preferring the verified signature series nowadays, with signatures over the cover. It does seem like it is much harder to find non signed books, raw or slabbed these days. For me personally I don't mind the interior signed books with signatures from back in the day. I have a #1 and #3 Laird photo variant both signed on the inside by K Eastman and P Laird and I kinda like that they are there. It's their signature from 1984/1985, before who they went on to become - for me it doesn't get better than that!

I'm under the assumption that most of the Laird's photo variants are signed on the inside front cover, since it was primarily sold at a convention where both artists were signing. Of the four copies I've owned, only one of them was unsigned. 

On 1/12/2023 at 12:43 AM, spracknetch23 said:

I'm under the assumption that most of the Laird's photo variants are signed on the inside front cover, since it was primarily sold at a convention where both artists were signing. Of the four copies I've owned, only one of them was unsigned. 

You owned four! I assume that these copies are so rare to find that nobody would really have a preference one way or the other? I love that my copy is signed on the inside and am very lucky to own it. Do you reckon anybody would trade a #1 first print for a #3 cover variant in say a 9.8 grade?

On 1/12/2023 at 6:55 AM, sorrenmj said:

You owned four! I assume that these copies are so rare to find that nobody would really have a preference one way or the other? I love that my copy is signed on the inside and am very lucky to own it. Do you reckon anybody would trade a #1 first print for a #3 cover variant in say a 9.8 grade?

I normally prefer things unsigned, but these being signed at the convention in 1985 adds an extra cool factor. I'd rather have it signed, but the collector in me would probably want one signed and one unsigned copy in my collection. 

Yeah, I've owned four...but unfortunately, now I own Zero. doh!

I think at best, someone might be willing to consider it as part of a partial trade/cash deal. Or you could just sell it and put that money toward a #1 first print. 

Quick question for the group!

Would the value of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 CONTERFEIT CGC 9.8 be worth more than the actual #2 in same grade?  I know there are only 5 of the Counterfeit in this grade but having trouble putting a value on it... 

Feedback? 

On 1/13/2023 at 12:32 AM, spracknetch23 said:

I normally prefer things unsigned, but these being signed at the convention in 1985 adds an extra cool factor. I'd rather have it signed, but the collector in me would probably want one signed and one unsigned copy in my collection. 

Yeah, I've owned four...but unfortunately, now I own Zero. doh!

I think at best, someone might be willing to consider it as part of a partial trade/cash deal. Or you could just sell it and put that money toward a #1 first print. 

Thanks a lot for the insight and suggestion. I honestly wouldn't know what to sell my copy for? I'm no grader but it surely is in pristine condition, literally bagged on the day at the convention and stored since. I'm certain this condition is rare? I took photos of it quite recently and put it back immediately. Here is my copy to see

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

On 1/13/2023 at 6:17 PM, BDubs said:

Quick question for the group!

Would the value of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 CONTERFEIT CGC 9.8 be worth more than the actual #2 in same grade?  I know there are only 5 of the Counterfeit in this grade but having trouble putting a value on it... 

Feedback? 

I think it is definitely possible but to a very specific buyer. Someone who is a TMNT fantastical, has cash and already has a 9.8 TMNT everything else and wanting to complete their collection. Is a counterfeit issue 1 currently worth more than a genuine first print 2? I think both issue 1 and issue 2 are heading to the stratosphere. I'm not sure issue 3 may get there but the Peter Laird variant might. The mystery for this comic is what makes this comic awesome in both storytelling and true life phenomena 

On 1/13/2023 at 2:40 PM, sorrenmj said:

Thanks a lot for the insight and suggestion. I honestly wouldn't know what to sell my copy for? I'm no grader but it surely is in pristine condition, literally bagged on the day at the convention and stored since. I'm certain this condition is rare? I took photos of it quite recently and put it back immediately. Here is my copy to see

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

Keep an eye on this auction for a rough value:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #3 Variant Cover - Don/Maggie Thompson | Lot #94203 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

On 1/13/2023 at 8:02 PM, Ryan. said:

Thanks a lot for sending me the link. I will definitely keep an eye on this for a rough value but mine is not signature signed. Only signed at the convention back in 1985