• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official TMNT Speculation Thread
14 14

1,211 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2023 at 1:40 PM, sorrenmj said:

Thanks a lot for the insight and suggestion. I honestly wouldn't know what to sell my copy for? I'm no grader but it surely is in pristine condition, literally bagged on the day at the convention and stored since. I'm certain this condition is rare? I took photos of it quite recently and put it back immediately. Here is my copy to see

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

image.thumb.png.428861ff31f337e2f667b22af73f4a8a.png

On 1/13/2023 at 2:01 PM, sorrenmj said:

I think it is definitely possible but to a very specific buyer. Someone who is a TMNT fantastical, has cash and already has a 9.8 TMNT everything else and wanting to complete their collection. Is a counterfeit issue 1 currently worth more than a genuine first print 2? I think both issue 1 and issue 2 are heading to the stratosphere. I'm not sure issue 3 may get there but the Peter Laird variant might. The mystery for this comic is what makes this comic awesome in both storytelling and true life phenomena 

You basically just described me :roflmao:Yes, not many opportunities to grab the #2 CGC 9.8 Counterfeit.  And it does strengthen the collection with the stories of old.  Thanks for your feedback!

On 1/13/2023 at 3:28 PM, BDubs said:

You basically just described me :roflmao:Yes, not many opportunities to grab the #2 CGC 9.8 Counterfeit.  And it does strengthen the collection with the stories of old.  Thanks for your feedback!

Is there something about the counterfeit that is better than the 2nd print? I have that in 9.8, but it hasn't risen in value as much, and I'm wondering why the counterfeit would be better?

On 1/13/2023 at 9:28 PM, BDubs said:

What will you do now that you have completed your 9.8 mission? That's a heavy fate to have accomplished already?!

On 1/13/2023 at 3:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is there something about the counterfeit that is better than the 2nd print? I have that in 9.8, but it hasn't risen in value as much, and I'm wondering why the counterfeit would be better?

That was the question I posed honestly.  I think @sorrenmj stated it best, for the avid hardcore collectors, it has a place in the collection in that it is part of the overall story. 

On 1/13/2023 at 4:05 PM, BDubs said:

That was the question I posed honestly.  I think @sorrenmj stated it best, for the avid hardcore collectors, it has a place in the collection in that it is part of the overall story. 

Oh I thought you ,eamt was it more sought after than a 1st print #2, lol I could have sworn I read 1st print, but cest la vie :)

On 1/13/2023 at 10:05 PM, BDubs said:

Yep so if you have one I'd hold on to it cause they ain't frequenting 

On 1/13/2023 at 12:17 PM, BDubs said:

Quick question for the group!

Would the value of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 CONTERFEIT CGC 9.8 be worth more than the actual #2 in same grade?  I know there are only 5 of the Counterfeit in this grade but having trouble putting a value on it... 

Feedback? 

Ah you said "actual #2?" So you meant either printing, some still consider 2nd prints as reprints, it threw me off. I thought about it, I understand now. :)

On 1/13/2023 at 4:02 PM, sorrenmj said:

What will you do now that you have completed your 9.8 mission? That's a heavy fate to have accomplished already?!

I still have a few remaining and need bitcoin over $50k for the #1 First Print CGC 9.8 so still a while on that.

#3 Variant B in 9.8 have 9.6
Sixth Print #1 I have a 9.2 and only one 9.8  although I have 1 contender in raw.
GameStop Variant #1 in 9.4 still looking for 9.8

:cheers:

On 1/13/2023 at 4:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah you said "actual #2?" So you meant either printing, some still consider 2nd prints as reprints, it threw me off. I thought about it, I understand now. :)

Poorly worded on my part.  TMNT #2 1st CGC 9.8 going around 2k-2.3k and seeing the #2 1st Print Counterfeit 9.8 for $3k. 

Apologies :facepalm:

On 1/13/2023 at 4:04 PM, sorrenmj said:

Please forgive my ignorance but I am not sure how to read this? What is this telling me please? I wish I didn't have to ask and seem dumb but it looks telling 

Variant Cover 

CGC 9.8 5 on census Fair Market Value of $19,000.00
CGC 9.6 26 on CGC census Fair Market Value of $10,000.00
CGC 9.4 25 on Census FMV $5,500.00
9.2 29/census FMV $3,200.00
9.0 22/census FMV $2050.00

On 1/13/2023 at 4:22 PM, BDubs said:

Poorly worded on my part.  TMNT #2 1st CGC 9.8 going around 2k-2.3k and seeing the #2 1st Print Counterfeit 9.8 for $3k. 

Apologies :facepalm:

Ah no worries. What throws me off more is 2nd print 9,8 going for $500 lol

Still about 150$ more than I paid, but it's, it's just sad lol

On 1/13/2023 at 4:30 PM, Bronty said:

what did everyone think of the auction for the cover of #8

I think it was a strong price ($78k). I’ve never seen a cover go that high , but I’m not sure I’ve seen a cover on the open market. 

im curious to see what this iron-on art goes for, as I’ve never seen any of the iron-on OA on the market. Not sure if it would count as “published” if it was only used for the iron-on though 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/peter-laird-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-illustration-original-art-undated-/a/7338-95206.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Open-AlsoViewed-081514&tab=BrowseAlsoViewed-012417

Some years ago I used to own a #2 counterfeit and was actively looking for a #1 counterfeit but, after a tense discussion with one of the creators and how disgusted they were by the existence of counterfeits, I got rid of the #2 and lost interest in owning them.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:24 PM, BDubs said:

Variant Cover 

CGC 9.8 5 on census Fair Market Value of $19,000.00
CGC 9.6 26 on CGC census Fair Market Value of $10,000.00
CGC 9.4 25 on Census FMV $5,500.00
9.2 29/census FMV $3,200.00
9.0 22/census FMV $2050.00

That's awesome thanks. So if my comic was graded a 9.8, which it has potential it could be worth $19,000? Which is more than the cost of a very low grade first print issue 1?

On 1/13/2023 at 6:12 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I think it was a strong price ($78k). I’ve never seen a cover go that high , but I’m not sure I’ve seen a cover on the open market. 

im curious to see what this iron-on art goes for, as I’ve never seen any of the iron-on OA on the market. Not sure if it would count as “published” if it was only used for the iron-on though 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/peter-laird-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-illustration-original-art-undated-/a/7338-95206.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Open-AlsoViewed-081514&tab=BrowseAlsoViewed-012417

It's the most expensive piece of Turtles art to ever sell I believe.  (single piece, obviously #1 sold for $250,099, but that was the entire book).  It was even more than the first turtles sketch (group shot, not the first turtle Kevin was offering for 2 mil)