• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Kirby!
1 1

69 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Happy Birthday Jack from the city by the Bay...

comstarspangled18riley.jpg

Thanks robot man. I forgot about how cool this cover was. Another cover used by Steranko in HOC vol. #1. Here’s the last copy I picked up a few years ago...

6DA58D39-C972-45FC-A553-7A69BBF5CF7A.jpeg.40ba869b018ace2dcf604f64af4ea224.jpeg

I was doing some reading up on Jack and I found this thread. I don't know why it stopped. 

Regarding Kirby's earliest work in comics from what I see he did a feature in Famous Funnies called Lightnin' and the Lone Rider starting in Sept. 1939, using the name Lance Kirby. Around that time he started working for Fox doing the Blue Beetle comic strip using the name Charles Nicholas.   In May 1940 he did work on both Science Comics #4 and Mystery Men # 10. This was also the month Joe Simon began writing stories and doing covers for Fox. Jack also did a story called The Solar Legion in Crash Comics issues 1 through 5 also beginning in May 1940 until October. During those months he worked with Joe Simon on Blue Bolt Comics starting with issue # 2 in July 1940, and Champion Comics #'s 9 and 10 July and August 1940,  then his earliest work with Timely began with Daring Comics # 6 and Red Raven both dated August 1940. 

I guess most of you already know all that and if any facts are wrong or I left something out please tell me.

I wrote all that because I have a question. Kirby and Simon worked on the 2 Fox titles in May 1940. On the cgc label for Champion Comics # 9 July 1940 the CGC label says  "1st Simon and Kirby collaboration".  Anyone here know why? Are they refering to only the cover?  Not my book: 

lf (1).jpg

Edited by Professor K

On 12/8/2022 at 1:45 AM, Professor K said:

I was doing some reading up on Jack and I found this thread. I don't know why it stopped. 

Regarding Kirby's earliest work in comics from what I see he did a feature in Famous Funnies called Lightnin' and the Lone Rider starting in Sept. 1939, using the name Lance Kirby. Around that time he started working for Fox doing the Blue Beetle comic strip using the name Charles Nicholas.   In May 1940 he did work on both Science Comics #4 and Mystery Men # 10. This was also the month Joe Simon began writing stories and doing covers for Fox. Jack also did a story called The Solar Legion in Crash Comics issues 1 through 5 also beginning in May 1940 until October. During those months he worked with Joe Simon on Blue Bolt Comics starting with issue # 2 in July 1940, and Champion Comics #'s 9 and 10 July and August 1940,  then his earliest work with Timely began with Daring Comics # 6 and Red Raven both dated August 1940. 

I guess most of you already know all that and if any facts are wrong or I left something out please tell me.

I wrote all that because I have a question. Kirby and Simon worked on the 2 Fox titles in May 1940. On the cgc label for Champion Comics # 9 July 1940 the CGC label says  "1st Simon and Kirby collaboration".  Anyone here know why? Are they refering to only the cover?  Not my book: 

lf (1).jpg

It is referring to the 1st S&K published cover. However, Red Raven 1 was also released in late May, 1940. The RR1 is always referred to as Kirby's first signed work (interior story Comet Pierce) as "Jack Kirby" and not under another pen name. The Mercury story was signed as his pen name Martin A. Bursten. I don't believe Simon did any of the pencils or inks on the RR1 cover..? @Ameri That said, I do believe the Champion 9 is the first published S&K cover and RR1 is an all Kirby cover. 

Edited by Primetime

On 12/9/2022 at 2:17 AM, Primetime said:

It is referring to the 1st S&K published cover. However, Red Raven 1 was also released in late May, 1940. The RR1 is always referred to as Kirby's first signed work (interior story Comet Pierce) as "Jack Kirby" and not under another pen name. The Mercury story was signed as his pen name Martin A. Bursten. I don't believe Simon did any of the pencils or inks on the RR1 cover..? @Ameri That said, I do believe the Champion 9 is the first published S&K cover and RR1 is an all Kirby cover. 

Thanks for that info Prime. I always have to know history of things, it's like an obsessive disorder. So it must mean collaboration on the cover like you said. From what I see Kirby's cover order by cover date is:

Champion Comics 9 7/40 - Jack and Joe

Red Raven 1 8/40 - All Jack

Champion Comics 10 8/40 - All Jack(?)

Daring Mysteries 6 9/40 - Jack and Joe (?)

Marvel Mysteries 12  10/40 - All Jack 

Blue Bolt 7 12/40 - I can't tell (shrug)

Then Prize Comics 7,8,9 again I can't tell. #7 looks all Simon to me, 8 and 9 I just can't tell for sure but I think neither is all Jack or no Jack at all. Nice covers though.

Thanks again

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 12/9/2022 at 6:20 AM, Professor K said:

Thanks for that info Prime. I always have to know history of things, it's like an obsessive disorder. So it must mean collaboration on the cover like you said. From what I see Kirby's cover order by cover date is:

Then Prize Comics 7,8,9 again I can't tell. #7 looks all Simon to me, 8 and 9 I just can't tell for sure but I think neither is all Jack or no Jack at all. Nice covers though.

Thanks again

Grand Comic Database credits the Champion 9 cover to Joe alone. Alter Ego magazine #76 page 13 was cited as the proof. That was the issue with the Joe Simon interview. Blue Bolt #2 interior story appears to be the first Simon & Kirby collaboration. Half the story is drawn by Simon and the other half by Kirby. 

On 12/9/2022 at 3:20 AM, Professor K said:

Thanks again

Here are some Kirby covers in listing order:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/creator.php?creatorid=6

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/creator.php?creatorid=6&gallery=true