• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your “one and done” book that encapsulates a genre
4 4

160 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

And believe it or not this would be the romance for me.  And I've owned maybe 80% of all the romance books ever printed.  I love it so much I paid Kenny $500 to restore this $2 book, because it doesn't exist in the condition it deserves.

When I look at this cover I am transported to a different realm.  My breathing slows down, and I feel a deep and quiet joy.  Two hearts beat as one.  All is well.

image.thumb.png.7110f597c4d514dde6bd75bb6851f44e.png

Let's get that heart racing! This would be romance for me...

romantichearts(2nd)9.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

1 hour ago, SOTIcollector said:

When the Charles-Fourth Gallery had an exhibit called "School for Sadism", it was promoted with pictures of children looking at a blown-up copy of that now-famous injury-to-the-eye panel.  I can't find the image at the moment, so here's an article about the exhibit.  

I found it amusing that Wertham would claim that comics are harmful to kids, but then this exhibit to which he contributed showed children staring at the panel he found so objectionable.  If the panel is so harmful, good doctor, why are YOU exposing kids to it?

D3A4A5CE-04F2-4DEE-9263-AACB45175349.thumb.jpeg.6cf934f7dc531ec46ebbb49253bc1020.jpeg

Oops.  I have to correct myself.  I went back to my photos from Wertham's files at the Library of Congress, certain I was going to find the photo of kids looking at the needle-to-the-eye image in the promo for the Charles-Fourth Gallery.

Instead, I found that it wasn't True Crime #2 at all that the kids were looking at.  It was a panel from All-Top #14 (which did end up in SOTI) and a panel from another book (which I identified some time ago, but don't know offhand which one).

Comic_Art_Digest_Article_2.thumb.jpg.b0c5d43d247656a0747bca13c0155524.jpg

So True Crime #2 was not mentioned in the promo piece for the gallery like I thought.

It was, however, included on a Christmas card Wertham sent with that newsstand image.  You can just barely see the logo under his right wrist.

I always figured this photo was staged, probably with comics from Wertham's own collection, based on the publication dates of the comics and the fact that there were multiple issues of the same title (True Crime, Human Torch).  Plus the fact that True Crime #2 just happens to appear here.

Comic_Wertham_Christmas_Card.thumb.jpg.8cbfa44489e8ca7d23c3c1cbd55c142f.jpg

And just for fun, here's a photostat in Wertham's files, which is most likely the photostat Wertham used for the publication of SOTI.

Comic_TrueCrime2Photostat_at_LOC.thumb.jpg.19dbbfe76d7ebb8181a802c7dd8b77eb.jpg

On 9/1/2020 at 6:35 PM, OtherEric said:

Here's a real "one and done" book I have, for Timely Heroes.  This is my only issue of Marvel Mystery; and the only GA appearance I have of the Human Torch, Captain America, and the Blonde Phantom.  It also features the Sub-Mariner (I have one issue of that title) and Venus (I have about 4/5 of the Venus run, in very low grade). So the three major Timely heroes and two of the minor ones; it will do for me:

Marvel_Mystery_91.jpg

I agree great cover picked up this copy about 25 years ago.

marvel mystery comics91 001.jpg