• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was Your First Comic Book Convention?
6 6

131 posts in this topic

First convention was a small one, Scranton Comic Con I want to say in 2011. Small, one ballroom but I met Darren Auck and picked up some original Rocko's Modern Life art and got a Rocko with Spunky sketch since I was reliving my childhood.

Also picked up Amazing Spiderman #8 and slabbed it years later to see that it was missing a add page, but still a respectable grade/price at the time.

First "real" convention was Baltimore Comic Con 2015 what a show! 

Can’t remember the exact year but it was right before Ultraverse was launched and they were giving away some Ultraverse swag at the door. Can’t remember the location either but it was relatively small, maybe Long Beach. I met Jae Lee there, he had the longest line so he must have been the main event. It was before he went to Image or right around that time. I had him sign a Namor comic 

Late 70s. My dad took me to a show at the YMCA in (Hard Hittin') New Britain, CT. This was not a huge show by any stretch but as a 10 or 11 eleven year old, it might as well have been San Diego Comic Con lol Walked out of there with a small pile of DC war comics. All of which I still have. 

My dad was pretty cool about that stuff. A few years later in a used bookstore he bought me a big pile of Richie Rich comics that were priced at a quarter a piece.

Motor City Con probably around 1991/92.  I was in University and didn't have a lot of money, so I purchased quantity over quality.  I didn't bother even looking at the wall books.  I don't recall going to any panels or seeing any celebrities.

57 minutes ago, Flee-Marquette said:

Around 1989/1990 I went to a show in a hotel in Dallas. Not sure what the name of it was. Dallas Fantasy Fair or D-Con or something like that. I was in town hitting pawn shops for guitars and saw an advertisement for the event.  I swung by the show and wound up buying a couple of nicer copies of IH 102. That kinda renewed my interest in comics and I started stopping by  the Lone Star comics stores whenever I was in town and picking up the Silver Age comics that I remembered.

If you are looking for pawn shops with guitars in TX. Hit Austin. Big music scene and lots of down on their luck musicians. Scored a nice Telecaster there about 8 years ago. 

3 hours ago, goldust40 said:

First U.K. show I went to was at a place called Westminster Central Hall in London, in 1979 or 1980 - I was still at school at the time. As it happens the show was across the street from where my school was.

I went to a fair amount of London marts in the early 80s, picking up BA Marvels for the most part. These were the days of comics, even valuable ones, not having backer boards and often no bags either. I doubt there was anything in the way of Golden, or even Atom Age at the show. Probably zero. From what I can remember most of the Silver Age books would've been pence copies or had pence stamps. These were still the early days of British fandom, when even books like Hulk 181 or X-Men 94 were scarce, due to not being distributed in the U.K.

No recollection who any of the dealers were at that first show, apart from the one and only Paul Hudson (who used to dress like a punk for the occasion), who went on to run Comic Showcase, a West End comic shop that ran for many years and was one of the key hubs of the hobby. He's still around, posting on various FB comic-related groups.

First U.S. show was San Diego in 1995. Cost me a fair amount to get there, but at least the hotels at the time weren't extortionate. It was a revelation - vast, professional, corporate, easy to navigate, etc. I'd been away from the hobby for the better part of a decade but came back and started dealing full time the year before. Looking back I wish I'd known more about GA and Atom Age, but I got to meet all the regular circuit dealers, and bought a fair amount. Who knows what deals were there that I had no idea about.

I remember getting stuff signed by Neal Adams (remember, this was before CGC), and going to a Stan Lee panel in one of the smaller upstairs rooms. Great memory. I also attended the Eisner awards, where the man himself was the host. The awards went on for a wee bit too long, though.

SDCC was much more manageable then (only 40-50,000 attendees). My feeling at the time was that I'd missed out on the golden years of that Con, but I was still very glad I went.

SDCC was my “local” show. I attended from the third show up until 5 years ago when I gave it up. Just about every major dealer set up there. Used to be so laid back and such a blast. Has totally lost it’s “vibe” now. 

I also used to travel up to the Bay Area for shows like the Berkeley Con and later WonderCon. Also great shows.