• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was Your First Comic Book Convention?
6 6

131 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2021 at 9:01 PM, shadroch said:

It was a Holiday Inn back then.  

On 11/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, Buzzetta said:

Yes, you are correct.

I remember Vince of Metro, Ritchie Muchin and a few others... I remember sneaking over there by taking the LIRR with a pocket full of cash and coming back home with silver age spider-mans. 

Do either one of you guys remember going to a convention in NYC in the late 70s?  I forget where it was but my mom took me to it when I was 6 or 7 years old.

In order to go, I had to agree to sit outside the Pathmark in Stony Brook with a cardboard box of kittens and give them away to passersby.  Took 2 days to give them all away.

1990, Great Eastern Conventions by Fred Greenberg. It was at the New York Penta Hotel across from MSG. Which is now called the Hotel Pennsylvania. He use to run ads in Marvel Comics which is how I found out. Todd Mcfarlane was the guest of honor. This was during his Amazing Spider-Man run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Eastern_Conventions

We have a small show here about 5-6 times a year. Nothing crazy, about 10 tables. Decent stuff for run fillers. Nothing insane or expensive for wall books but still fun to go too. 

I did however go to my first big convention a couple of months ago. Planet comic on in Kansas City. It was cool but a tad overwhelming. 

On 11/9/2021 at 6:53 PM, Dave2739 said:

I'm just a few years older than you. My first was one of Shelton's Heroes Mini-Cons at the long-defunct Eastland Mall, circa 1981.

You’re probably older than by me more than just a few years since I wasn’t born until the early 2000’s. lol

I do remember Eastland Mall but I wasn’t into comic book collecting when that mall was still around, nor was I attending conventions. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

My first one was also one of the early Chicago Comicons when they were downtown at the Congress Hotel on Michigan Avenue. I was still a kid and it was the greatest place I'd ever been in my life!
I think the following year (my 2nd con), John Byrne was set up right at the entrance doing autographs and sketches for everybody. I got his sig on X-Men 143:
JByrne_sig2.jpg.aa6a5452743614f9219062472edd01f5.jpg

Cool signature 

On 11/12/2021 at 6:16 PM, spideyfan68 said:

Dallas Fantasy Fair, Summer 1990. Picked up a beautiful ASM 9 only to find out later it was trimmed and had color touch. Good times....

Lol we've come a long way! Being able to authenticate and etc. Still, there are good old days for sure Haha

I'm still Learning and hopefully will be able to pass the info along someday :960450673_cheersemoji:

SDCC Y2K.  I happened to be in town, so I went.  I don't remember a whole lot, but it was my one and only Con.  I don't recall buying anything, but I did bring back the program book.  Cons aren't my thing...too many people. (shrug)

On 11/12/2021 at 6:32 PM, Galen130 said:

SDCC Y2K.  I happened to be in town, so I went.  I don't remember a whole lot, but it was my one and only Con.  I don't recall buying anything, but I did bring back the program book.  Cons aren't my thing...too many people. (shrug)

Fair enough.  I think like anything if your able and knowledgeable to be able to plan, it may cut down on the reasons it becomes overwhelming.  

I think I'd feel bad if you were underwhelmed.

Still that 1st con I attended, i was nervous and not up on any news. Lucy lawless was there, and at her panel i asked a question. I mean its remarkable how at home I felt, even though the question I asked was something like, "is there any news for the xena character and did they have any hope for a gabrielle team up".

Looking back she answered, but just because a character celebs is at a con, doesnt mean they are "relevant" in the world of today. I mean, your con could have been a lot worse and unknowingly put your foot in your mouth in front of a room full of people lol

Saving grace, I got back up and asked if she could still do the xena yell :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM