• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EVIL DEAD 4: RISE movie (TBD)
1 1

42 posts in this topic

The new Evil Dead movie, Evil Dead Rise, will ditch the cabin-in-the-woods backdrop for a unique setting, Bruce Campbell revealed. The lucrative Evil Dead franchise, which consists of four films and a TV-series- most led by Bruce Campbell, was launched by seasoned filmmaker Sam Raimi in 1981. Raimi's first Evil Dead movie wasn't just a box-office hit, but it was also a cult sensation that spawned two sequels: Evil Dead II (1987), and Army of Darkness (1992). After 1992, Evil Dead remained mostly dormant for two decades until Fede Álvarez revived it with a soft reboot in 2013. Later in 2015, an Evil Dead TV-series, Ash Vs. Evil Dead, starring Bruce Campbell, was also released. The show ended in 2018, and now the franchise is gearing up for a new cinematic installment.

Bruce Campbell had revealed in June that he, along with Sam Raimi, was working on a new Evil Dead film, tentatively called Evil Dead Now. Campbell had, however, mentioned that he wouldn't star in the movie, nor would Raimi helm it. Instead, the actor-director duo would only oversee the film's production. With Raimi signing-off at the helm, indie moviemaker Lee Cronin was assigned the directorial duties, while the search for a lead continues. According to Campbell, he is eyeing a female protagonist for his upcoming unholy slapstick horror-comedy. The new Evil Dead movie, which has recently been rechristened as Evil Dead Rise, is poised to be a radical spruce up from the previous films. The movie will attempt to explore the horror-comedy genre within a broader spectrum and, as Campbell just revealed, against a new setting.

In an interview with 1428 Elm on Wednesday, Campbell revealed that Evil Dead Rise would trade its cabin-in-the-woods milieu for urban scares. The ghastly Deadites will now terrorize unsuspecting people in a metropolitan city, particularly in the high-rises and skyscrapers in the area. While the Deadites have traditionally tyrannized remote locales, in Evil Dead Rise, they will take over a packed civic zone, sending its entire population into a frenzy. Campbell only subtly alluded to the setting of his new movie without going into much detail. "The Evil Dead are going to **** up a city this time,” Campbell told 1428 Elm, hinting that the Deadite infestation will occur on a city-wide scale this time.

During the interview, Campbell also fielded some foreseeable questions about his potential appearance in the new film. The actor reiterated that he had hung up his Ashley Joanna "Ash" Williams chainsaw for good, and at the moment, he wasn't considering a cameo role in Evil Dead Rise. When inquired about the possibility of a guest-appearance, Campbell sarcastically retorted, “Who knows? Shouldn't I just be in it." Campbell had earlier stated that the Evil Dead franchise was headed in a new direction. Hence, his cameo seems unlikely as it would inevitably create tie-ins to the old movies.

Forty years after the release of “Evil Dead,” the supernatural horror trilogy created by Sam Raimi is rising from the ashes. A new installment, titled “Evil Dead Rise,” is in the works at New Line Cinema.

Unlike its predecessors, “Evil Dead Rise” won’t play in theaters. It will be released on HBO Max in the U.S., on Canal Plus in the U.K. and Metropolitan in France.

Rami created the series and directed the original film, 1981’s “The Evil Dead,” and its two sequels, 1987’s “Evil Dead II” and 1993’s “Army of Darkness.” He won’t be returning behind the camera to direct, but he will serve as an executive producer with Bruce Campbell, who starred as series protagonist Ash Williams. (Campbell won’t appear onscreen in the upcoming entry.) “Evil Dead” veteran Robert Tapert is also returning to produce the next chapter in the seminal horror series.

The franchise was revived at Sony in 2013 with “Evil Dead,” a soft reboot directed by Fede Alvarez. Raimi, Campbell and Tapert produced that film, which was the first to not star Campbell as Ash. A TV series called “Ash vs Evil Dead” launched on Starz in 2015 and ended in 2018, with Campbell reprising his signature role, and Raimi, Tapert and Campbell on board as producers.

Bruce Campbell, Sam Raimi, and Rob Tapert have been hard at work on Evil Dead Rise, which has wrapped filming and was directed by Lee Cronin (The Hole in the Ground). It appears that Cronin delivered the goods, so much so that Warner Bros. Discovery may be looking to pivot from a strictly streaming release on HBO Max to a theatrical release this fall.

Campbell was on hand at San Diego Comic-Con over the weekend and spoke to Comic Book Resources about the film. Per the man behind Ash Williams himself, recent test screenings have gone quite well, which may mean we will see this movie in theaters later this year.

"We just had a preview that went... That was very high ratings. They were potentially going to stream it on HBO Max, but it might go theatrical. Maybe in the fall."

As predicted by franchise star and producer Bruce Campbell, the upcoming Evil Dead Rise has officially been shifted from an HBO Max exclusive release to a theatrical one. Deadline brings word of the shift in Warner Bros. Discovery's plans for the horror sequel, revealing that the film is now scheduled to be released on April 21, 2023. Evil Dead Rise now occupies the release date that Warner Bros. had previously bookmarked for two other horror movies, the remakes of Salem's Lot and Last Train to Busan, both of which have been delayed. Upon its debut the film will arrive just over ten years since the 2013 remake, Fede Álvarez's Evil Dead.

Evil Dead Rise director Lee Cronin took to social media to confirm the news, revealing his crew hat from the production and writing: "The Evil Dead shall RISE!!! 04/21/23. Exclusively in theatres. The countdown to carnage has begun." Cronin's previous feature credit includes 2019's The Hole in the Ground, but he also helmed a two-part episode of Sam Raimi's Quibi horror series, 50 States of Fright, a job that put him in the sights of the original Evil Dead filmmaker.

"We just had a preview that was very high ratings," Bruce Campbell previously told CBR about the film. "They were potentially going to stream it on HBO Max, but it might go theatrical....It's an urban version of Evil Dead now. Ain't no cabin anymore. We're going single mom in the city. The apartment is the cabin. It's going to creep your sh-t out."

On 10/25/2022 at 8:31 AM, MetalPSI said:

Excited to see which way they are taking the series

The TV show was mediocre, so hoping this works

Agreed. I really wanted to love the show, I did. But it leaned too heavily on digital gore and CG effects. Evil Dead has always been about practical fx to me, the goopier and cheesier the better. I liked parts of it, but overall it was a bit of a letdown. I will say, I thought they left it in a very interesting place, and the next season would have been very interesting to me.

This weekend I watched the new 4k releases of the Evil Dead 2013 remake, and Army of Darkness. I hadn't watched ED 2013 since it was in theaters, so it was interesting to revisit. It's really kind of a nothing movie, not much there, but I admire just how far they went with the gore. It was definitely pretty strong for a mainstream flick at the time. Army of Darkness, of course, is still great, and the new transfer looks terrific.