• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Stan Lee use a ghost writer??
2 2

106 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2021 at 5:00 AM, piper said:

No different than Kirby or Ditko’s works without Stan. Without the pair, it just didn’t work.  Kind of like McCartney/Lennon.

I'm very pro- Stan,  but Kirby would be a legend of the industry even if he never met Stan.  

Simon and Kirby were obviously prolific. Aside from Cap those two created the romance genre.  Kirby did great work in the 50s when the industry was struggling and that was really the springboard for what he and Stan created in the 60s. 

I do agree however, that marvel was a collaboration and they needed each other to achieve what they did. 

On 8/26/2021 at 2:12 AM, Larryw7 said:

I think That New Gods and the Eternals are incredible creative works, despite the leaden dialogue. Ditko's Mr. A is also good work, until he really overdid the Ayn Rand philosophy as the strip went on. But still more creative than most of Stan's post Kirby/Ditko work. 

As someone buying comics at the time, The New Gods had tremendous potential that Kirby teased at but never followed thru on, and as a Marvel zombie, Kirby actually made me drop Captain America after a couple of issues and the Eternals simply sucked.  At a time when comics had seemingly matured and we were treated to things like the Thanos saga and Howard the Duck, Kirby was giving us Moon Boy and Cap.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:24 AM, shadroch said:

As someone buying comics at the time, The New Gods had tremendous potential that Kirby teased at but never followed thru on, and as a Marvel zombie, Kirby actually made me drop Captain America after a couple of issues and the Eternals simply sucked.  At a time when comics had seemingly matured and we were treated to things like the Thanos saga and Howard the Duck, Kirby was giving us Moon Boy and Cap.

And what was Stan doing at the same time? His disastrous Evening at Carnegie Hall, narrating some Spidey records,  promoting himself and schmoozing with the Hollywood elites. There's nothing wrong with those things,  but Kirby was by far more creative during this period. I was also buying comics during this era. I don't know our age differences, but I enjoyed Howard the Duck and the Starlin books too, but that didn't mean I couldn't like Kirby's books as well. The Eternals was full of the kind of cosmic artwork from Kirby that I loved, and I thought Captain America's Bicentennial Battles was a masterpiece. I reread that book countless times while on vacation in Wildwood New Jersey that summer.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:56 AM, Larryw7 said:

Yeah, but on the flip side, what creative endeavors from Stan can compare to his work with Jack and Steve? Unless we consider something like Stripperella to be a work of genius.

Stan's work with John Romita on their Spidey run.  That was pretty successful.
Stan's work with Heck on Iron Man (created Hawkeye, Black Widow, Titanium Man). 
Stan's work with Romita and then Colan on Daredevil.
Stan with Colan ( and later Everett) on Sub-Mariner in TTA.  I recall anxiously awaiting the next monthly installment of "The Quest" serialization that began Subby's tenure in TTA.  Classic.

all this stuff was very popular at the time - and I believe that the Lee/Romita ASM run outsold Kirby/Lee's FF and anything that Ditko was doing at the time.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:27 AM, Unca Ben said:

Stan's work with John Romita on their Spidey run.  That was pretty successful.
Stan's work with Heck on Iron Man (created Hawkeye, Black Widow, Titanium Man). 
Stan's work with Romita and then Colan on Daredevil.
Stan with Colan ( and later Everett) on Sub-Mariner in TTA.  I recall anxiously awaiting the next monthly installment of "The Quest" serialization that began Subby's tenure in TTA.  Classic.

all this stuff was very popular at the time - and I believe that the Lee/Romita ASM run outsold Kirby/Lee's FF and anything that Ditko was doing at the time.

What about Holmes and Lovelace?  (: