• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT 2?

17 posts in this topic

A new World of Warcraft movie is reportedly in the works and that’s good news for fans of the series. Legendary Pictures already has the next WOW entry in development according to Daniel Ritchman.

Travis Fimmel of Vikings fame starred in the original film, which didn’t exactly light the world on fire in America. However, Warcraft did some tidy numbers in overseas markets indicating that the appetite is there for some CGI chaos. Duncan Moon directed the first effort and has been adamant that there was more room to explore the World of Warcraft lore in subsequent projects. One would only need to look to Blizzard themselves for proof of this concept. They’re busy adding more pages to the already hefty tome of lore in the series and don’t look to be slowing down any time soon.

Back in 2017, Fimmel told Crave that working on Vikings really helped him collect the skills for Warcraft.

“It certainly helps. It’s very different. Warcraft is very motion capture-oriented and special effects-orientated and we wear costumes that I couldn’t get through a door with all the armor.,” he began. “You can’t lift your arms above your head with that on, but Vikings is a bit more natural with the fighting.”

With respect to how big of a property the Warcraft series is, the actor was absolutely aware of what he would be stepping into. Anytime you enter such a large project with established fans, you have to be ready to deliver for that built-in audience.

Himmel continued, “No, I wasn’t at all. It’s amazing how many people play the game. I saw all the visuals. The movie is so close to Warcraft. They really kept it true to the game and you get a pretty good sense of the game just from what we’re doing on set…I’ve never been much of a gamer.”

18 minutes ago, kimik said:

I did not mind the first one. It was a decent fantasy film. A sequel could be fun.

I agree. Someone gave me the 4K digital version and it was a fun experience. Just a lot of characters to take in for one film.

Agreed with both of the comments above.  I thought it was ok and suffered from trying to pack in too many characters and too much content into 2 hours.  I feel like content like this should be in the form of a 45 minute to hour long TV show where we can get plenty of character and plot development over some time.

Just now, Keys_Collector said:

Agreed with both of the comments above.  I thought it was ok and suffered from trying to pack in too many characters and too much content into 2 hours.  I feel like content like this should be in the form of a 45 minute to hour long TV show where we can get plenty of character and plot development over some time.

A TV show would be awesome. I am surprised Amazon has not scooped it up yet. This would fit with LOTR.

Guess I’m the only WoW fan who’s not seen that movie. The time has come to watch it with my son. He’s recently become a wow player, so I think this movie will be interesting for him to watch. Actually, I like Travis Fimmel a lot. He’s one of my favorite actors, so the film seems promising. Btw, guys, do you still play WoW? I stopped playing it when my son was born (10 years ago), but I’m glad he likes the game too. Still, I’m afraid of him spending too much time playing it. Though I buy him gold on SkyCoach, he still spends about 6 hours a day playing it. What should I do to prevent him from spending so much time playing the game, guys?

Edited by GracieHorton

On 12/5/2022 at 5:09 PM, GracieHorton said:

Guess I’m the only WoW fan who’s not seen that movie. The time has come to watch it with my son. He’s recently become a wow player, so I think this movie will be interesting for him to watch. Actually, I like Travis Fimmel a lot. He’s one of my favorite actors, so the film seems promising. Btw, guys, do you still play WoW? I stopped playing it when my son was born (10 years ago), but I’m glad he likes the game too. Still, I’m afraid of him spending too much time playing it. Though I buy him gold on SkyCoach, he still spends about 6 hours a day playing it. What should I do to prevent him from spending so much time playing the game, guys?

What we did was have my son agree to a time limit (1hr on school nights after homework/studying done and max 3 hrs per day on weekends) and then if he did not turn things off he would lose the privilege of gaming for a week. All it takes is one or two self imposed breaks from gaming for them to smarten up. You just have to be willing to impose it. 

Cel phones are great discipline tools as well. Take it away for a weekend and watch how fast your teenagers jump to attention when you ask them to do something.

Hand the artistic duties over to Fortiche and give me an animated series.  Put together a team of writers and set the story somewhere between War2 and WoW.  Trying to build around existing WoW lore is just way too complicated.  Seriously, I watched Varian Wrynn get kidnapped (Vanilla) and now his son, Anduin is grown up.  And wasn't there some time travel hijinx?  It's time for the next generation to feel the pain I felt when Grom sacrificed himself for his people.

And if not WarCraft, then give me something set in the StarCraft universe.  Or Diablo.  The key is competent writers and a company that cares about the lore instead of smashing things together.  It's so much easier to tell stories animated than it is live action.  You're no longer restricted by the physical limitations of humans, wires, and stunt teams.

On 12/10/2022 at 2:55 AM, Bosco685 said:

The organizing part was half the fun.

I remember it would take forever to organize Onyxia raids for whatever reason.  The raid schedule was the same each week and people would RSVP, but for whatever reason, people would take forever to show up, get their gear, potions, etc.  One time it took so long our guild leader just canceled the raid that day.  They weren't too pleased about that.