• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA stream of consciousness thread

244 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Just in, Cosmic Horror from the Legends set. 

Required some trade + sale acrobatics with comic original art, NFT land and art, plus a sports card.

Happily causing a (Lovecraftian) splash in the MtG FB groups...

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1708862

06FDD49B-F8E6-49A6-A589-404FE1073EDE.thumb.jpeg.7c56b16074b2d2c8116f8e49a9259272.jpeg

That’s terrific.   Congratulations.   I never cared for Myrfors growing up but I now appreciate what he was doing.   Terrific example and for my money Legends had the best art of any set.   Hope you enjoy it lots and congrats 👏 

Anyone know whether AT&T's spinoff of Warner Communications (to be combined with Discovery's content offerings to form a new company) will included DC Comics?

Update to my own question: the answer is yes.

Why you should care: the combination is meant to create an entity better positioned to compete with other streaming media. Comics are quite literally like a story board for a show, and would easily provide a source for new content to stream. So, don't be surprised if in, say, 2-3 years, there is an increase in comics, plus art, and interest. Good for the hobby (as well as the survival of DC).

Edited by Rick2you2

If you could choose between the following 2 pieces, and they were priced the same, which would you favor? And, if they were not priced the same, how much more would you pay as compared to the other? Each one has strengths and weaknesses, but I don't want to tip my hand as they are both pretty similar.

DavisAnotherNail_I3_p37.thumb.jpg.8b3beea16774a4d0d021ae055bf90af4.jpgAnotherNail-Davis-Other.thumb.jpg.e98084d03b52f48f45b302171e386864.jpg

Edited by Rick2you2

On 9/5/2021 at 5:28 AM, Rick2you2 said:

If you could choose between the following 2 pieces, and they were priced the same, which would you favor? And, if they were not priced the same, how much more would you pay as compared to the other? Each one has strengths and weaknesses, but I don't want to tip my hand as they are both pretty similar.

DavisAnotherNail_I3_p37.thumb.jpg.8b3beea16774a4d0d021ae055bf90af4.jpgAnotherNail-Davis-Other.thumb.jpg.e98084d03b52f48f45b302171e386864.jpg

Almost depends on which character(s) you'd prefer to be more prominent...

On 9/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, Rick2you2 said:

For the Phantom Stranger fan, I'd pick the first one.  More PS per square inch and more Phantom Strangery dialog. 

I can't see the first one costing more than the 2nd one.  In general, I'd say the 2nd one would be priced 10 - 20% higher than the first one.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:48 PM, Will_K said:

For the Phantom Stranger fan, I'd pick the first one.  More PS per square inch and more Phantom Strangery dialog. 

I can't see the first one costing more than the 2nd one.  In general, I'd say the 2nd one would be priced 10 - 20% higher than the first one.

I’m curious as to your reasoning about the second one. Greater prominence of Superman and WW? So far, you’re on the money. 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:33 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Almost depends on which character(s) you'd prefer to be more prominent...

I like the layout of the first one better. The storyline is still moving to a climax, so the jumbled use of odd shaped panels works well, particularly with the overcrowded scene. In my view, it is harder to pull off. In the second one, the climax has past, and the panels reflect a more conventional layout in keeping with the eventual end. Also, well done, but easier to do. The second one does better with the secondary characters’ images (GL looks bow legged in his first panel), and the dialog I like better.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 9/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I’m curious as to your reasoning about the second one. Greater prominence of Superman and WW?

Also, even if the figures are a little small, nice team shot in the top panel of the 2nd one.

One man's (who has not read this story) opinion on the PS pages.

I agree that the 2nd page would probably sell for more than the first, and I would agree with Will's margin.  Why?  See below 2nd page positives comments.   

First page positives: excellent layout with irregular panels; more varied angles of presentation; heavier inks (which present a more striking contrast than page 2); well-written dialogue; more tension as we build to what looks to be a heroic sacrifice by Oliver/GA (not sure whose body he is now in as I am unfamiliar with the story; looks like Eclipso?); 5/6 panels with the Phantom Stranger being typically mysterious/cryptic.  

First page negatives: Black Canary's lips/mouth look a bit too large (as do the other female character in the 1st panel); team shot in 2nd panel lacks detail.

Second page positives: 4/6 panels with Phantom Stranger (plus 'smoke' panel after he vanishes); nice team shot (more detail than the first page) in the first panel; nicely rendered close-up of Supes, Flash and The Atom in final panel; well-written dialogue for PS, especially with his "explanation" for his action/inaction, and Martian Manhunter dialogue (it sounds like he should sound...calm and rational). . 

Finally, and this is the main reason I believe this page would sell for more than the first page: the 4th panel.  That Phantom Stranger fade-out panel is just killer.  Very Steve Ditko-esque (ala Dr. Strange moving between dimensions).  The Stranger, although partially visible, clearly has already "moved on"  to face the next threat (he even seems to be looking towards the horizon) and he does not even acknowledge WW's question.  And I love WW's hand reaching through his chest.  Great panel concept and terrific execution.   

Second page negatives: more traditional panels/layout (though well conceived and nicely rendered); markedly less tension than the first page (though some conflict still present) as the sacrifice has apparently been made, the multiverse saved and the story winds down; Wonder Woman's mouth/lips look too large in the 4th panel; I'm not a big fan of the "rear view" of the team in the 5th panel (a front view of the team with smoke in the foreground would have made a better presentation); Wonder Woman looks and sounds way too angry in the 4th and 5th panels (Does she have history with PS?  I understand Dinah's anger in the first page, given her long-term relationship with Oliver, but what's up with WW here?  Something in their history or in this story to justify Diana's anger?  She is, in many ways a magical being, and so should understand (or at least cut some slack for) the "unexplained" actions and comings/goings of another "magical" being.  Doesn't she know that PS operates on a higher plane? 

Either way, good luck with whichever you are chasing.  Both pages are excellent, and the positives outweigh the negatives whichever way you go.  Or maybe you will end up with both.  

On 9/5/2021 at 5:28 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Layout of the first is a lot more unique and interesting. I think the second has more specific panels that I prefer, but despite that I prefer the first overall. Layout goes a long way for me, and I find it very appealing when an artist does anything they can to liven up the typical left to right rectangles approach to storytelling.

I 'd pay slightly higher for the first, but probably couldn't afford either anyway.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:44 PM, Captain Calamity said:

One man's (who has not read this story) opinion on the PS pages.

I agree that the 2nd page would probably sell for more than the first, and I would agree with Will's margin.  Why?  See below 2nd page positives comments.   

First page positives: excellent layout with irregular panels; more varied angles of presentation; heavier inks (which present a more striking contrast than page 2); well-written dialogue; more tension as we build to what looks to be a heroic sacrifice by Oliver/GA (not sure whose body he is now in as I am unfamiliar with the story; looks like Eclipso?); 5/6 panels with the Phantom Stranger being typically mysterious/cryptic.  

First page negatives: Black Canary's lips/mouth look a bit too large (as do the other female character in the 1st panel); team shot in 2nd panel lacks detail.

Second page positives: 4/6 panels with Phantom Stranger (plus 'smoke' panel after he vanishes); nice team shot (more detail than the first page) in the first panel; nicely rendered close-up of Supes, Flash and The Atom in final panel; well-written dialogue for PS, especially with his "explanation" for his action/inaction, and Martian Manhunter dialogue (it sounds like he should sound...calm and rational). . 

Finally, and this is the main reason I believe this page would sell for more than the first page: the 4th panel.  That Phantom Stranger fade-out panel is just killer.  Very Steve Ditko-esque (ala Dr. Strange moving between dimensions).  The Stranger, although partially visible, clearly has already "moved on"  to face the next threat (he even seems to be looking towards the horizon) and he does not even acknowledge WW's question.  And I love WW's hand reaching through his chest.  Great panel concept and terrific execution.   

Second page negatives: more traditional panels/layout (though well conceived and nicely rendered); markedly less tension than the first page (though some conflict still present) as the sacrifice has apparently been made, the multiverse saved and the story winds down; Wonder Woman's mouth/lips look too large in the 4th panel; I'm not a big fan of the "rear view" of the team in the 5th panel (a front view of the team with smoke in the foreground would have made a better presentation); Wonder Woman looks and sounds way too angry in the 4th and 5th panels (Does she have history with PS?  I understand Dinah's anger in the first page, given her long-term relationship with Oliver, but what's up with WW here?  Something in their history or in this story to justify Diana's anger?  She is, in many ways a magical being, and so should understand (or at least cut some slack for) the "unexplained" actions and comings/goings of another "magical" being.  Doesn't she know that PS operates on a higher plane? 

Either way, good luck with whichever you are chasing.  Both pages are excellent, and the positives outweigh the negatives whichever way you go.  Or maybe you will end up with both.  

I wrote something cogent and brilliant before as a response, but then, the website ran into technical difficulties and my comment never made it up. Hope you'll settle for this retread. 

First, I won't be chasing the first piece; I already bought it. Prices on the second piece were moving up, and I decided not to wait. Right now the second piece is priced a little over 20% higher than the one I now own. At this rate, I expect the second piece to go for about 1/3 higher to 40% higher. That's too much, in my opinion. 

Second, we take different approaches on what we love (and I do respect yours). For me, both the panel layout and design of the first page is the key. More conventional artists would have just done a six panel with a small spash on top, but Davis lined up not just irregular shapes but overlaps and pop-outs consistent with the dynamism of the story on that page. The close-up of PS in 3.A. is a particular winner, along with the detailing in the first panel. The background characters are weak, which I am going to blame on the inker instead of the penciller here, even though his foreground inking is very good. Black Canary also looks unusually buxom in 2.C., compared to her appearance in 3.B. I guess she now has gained growth power in a fight.

The othe page is more traditional, but that's also in keeping with the relative quiet of the storyline. Smaller characters are better drawn and inked, and the main characters are more popular. I'm not so enamored with the panel you love; historically, PS doesn't do fade-outs--he just vanishes. But, I can respect your appreciation for it. What I love about the second page is the dialog--it is one of the few times we hear the Stranger explaining why his views on doing good are not consistent with other heroes--while being just as heroic. He saves/protects individuals. Other heroes' motivations are usually to stop bad acts, and those approaches sometimes diverge, as here. IMO, it also makes WW look a bit narrow-minded.

So, the next question for me to decide is whether to go for both. Maybe, maybe not.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:48 PM, Will_K said:

Right on the money. After the price started going up, and was within $60 of breaking the 20% mark with 5 days to go, it stopped dead in its tracks and sold at $1,860. I can’t help but wonder if we have a lot of viewers out there. 

Just in case: “Drink Tang! The super energy drink of the astronauts!” Maybe it will get a sales uptick.

Some CAF members have arranged their art by artist, in fifty "rooms" with only a couple of pieces in each room. CAF already has a feature that allows you to filter a given member's art by artist. Is this feature relatively new, and that's why some members use artist to sort their rooms?

On 12/13/2021 at 12:59 PM, RBerman said:

Some CAF members have arranged their art by artist, in fifty "rooms" with only a couple of pieces in each room. CAF already has a feature that allows you to filter a given member's art by artist. Is this feature relatively new, and that's why some members use artist to sort their rooms?

I think the feature has always been there. It’s just easy. 

Saw an upcoming listing in which ComicConnect is calling an oversized, non-bordered panel a “splash”. The panel does not, however, go all the way across the page or even just misses. It is roughly the same width but double the height of a regular panel (and nicely done). Is ComicConnect getting a bit over-eager to promote the piece, or can you really call that a fair use of the term when it doesn’t go all the way across? Personally, I don’t think it’s correct.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Saw an upcoming listing in which ComicConnect is calling an oversized, non-bordered panel a “splash”. The panel does not, however, go all the way across the page or even just misses. It is roughly the same width but double the height of a regular panel (and nicely done). Is ComicConnect getting a bit over-eager to promote the piece, or can you really call that a fair use of the term when it doesn’t go all the way across? Personally, I don’t think it’s correct.

https://www.sellmycomicart.com/comic-art-terms.html

Half splash or three quarter splash it is.

Good to see this thread still going strong (and staying useful)!

On 2/5/2022 at 4:49 AM, exitmusicblue said:

https://www.sellmycomicart.com/comic-art-terms.html

Half splash or three quarter splash it is.

Good to see this thread still going strong (and staying useful)!

That’s what I pretty much figured. Not a splash at all. It reminds me of the way Mercedes decided to call it’s line of 4 door cars with a fastback roofline coupes  (designated as C with a number) instead of sedans ‘cause it sounds cooler.