• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA stream of consciousness thread

244 posts in this topic

On a different note, anyone have thoughts about the the volume of low priced Kaluta art which has been coming up for sale lately, mostly from Madam Xanadu? Some of them are stirring my interest, but mostly as a form of future trading material.

1 minute ago, vodou said:

No. I really don't want more $10 FMV.

And I actually have: none.

I want more $500 FMV for...$10 :)

I think I did that once last year. You have to be lucky to do that. And FAST

Malvin 

The wife Julie Y Baker Albright was just on Vermont TV!  Nice brief public interest short about her art and herself, well done by WCAX and Elissa Borden.  David

https://www.wcax.com/2020/10/05/mivt-julie-y-baker-albright/

Edited by aokartman
spelling

On 10/7/2020 at 7:05 AM, gumbydarnit said:

While wading in the conciousness stream today I started wondering

If Trimpe = Tuesday

Barry Winsor Smith = Thursday

then ________________ must be FRIDAY!!!

FRIDAY is the MAC DADDY DAY... who's your MAC DADDY ARTIST?? (hint, mine drew my avatar)

Well, most here probably won't agree with me, but my Prime childhood comic collecting was late 80s, early 90s, so it's Jim Lee for me. He was the first artist whose work I actually cared about. That is to say, I liked comics since a very young age, but Jim Lee was the first artist whose work I recognized and whose name I made note of. Plus, his style has remained consistent for 30ish years. He's still very detailed, very dynamic, and has the best poses, but his style itself hasn't changed as drastically as some other artists over the years. He's simply refined his style.

41 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Never liked his work but I think it has improved over his career, which is something I always respect. 

If this makes sense, it has a "comic booky" feel to it more than an artistic feel, more in the spirit of Adams and Byrne but less distinctive. But, he does do it very well.

6 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

All I know is, someone searched for Aparo P.S. a lot tonight.

Per https://www.comicartfans.com/popular-searches.asp

Someone...

Not me. There have been some minor pieces coming up, and came up, that I passed on. I think they are finally settling down a bit, pricewise, but still high, given his prodigious output for a lower tier character ☹️.  At this point, I would only buy one that was wonderful if at a lower price point than I am likely to see. Besides, there are some other things I want and need to save up for. Maybe Nick K is on the hunt again.

If you are curious, average to low average pieces with the character are now settling in around $1,000, with some going for a bit less. There are several pieces sitting for sale from dealers up to around $1,500, and they aren’t moving. Anthony’s has a decent one below $1,000 which also isn’t moving. Without PS in the art, they can occasionally be found for less than $500. Nothing good has come up lately with a great splash or image, except something on CAF which is not realistic.

Edited by Rick2you2

22 hours ago, vodou said:

Oh...there are still those out there that don't understand: The Hobby Is TOPPING, BIG TIME?

Okay ;)

Which is why that dreck from Anthony’s (which he knows is dreck) will eventually find a home—not necessarily as real art, but “wall art” for people who don’t want another print of the Brooklyn Bridge, or who want to decorate a kids room or rec room with something different. The middle ground is most endangered. Too pricey to ignore and not expensive enough to attract a shrinking market—like all those middle tier department stores that went out of business.

13 hours ago, zhamlau said:

i would assume GDT because he is a huge collector of comic art.

I remember reading here on the boards that Rodriguez was a huge collector of a high end artist. I don’t remember who but I’m thinking Frazetta. Someone here also said RR had a showing of his collection in Austin. Both have deep Hollywood pockets so the pic could be taken in any one of their homes 😯 Just wanting confirmation.