• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Customs fees for the return shipment for international customers?

6 posts in this topic

I got very disapointed when I saw the exorbitant shipping cost for international customers (I live in Sweden), 100$ for 1-12 cards. Wow! Horrendous! And that's just the return shipping, I'm gonna have to pay the bandits at my local post office a ridiculous amount as well to ship my cards in the first place naturally (although nowhere near as bad as 100$). And then at the end of it I came to think of another thing: "Wait a minute..... what about those vultures at the customs office, It wouldn't surprise me if those highway brigands would try to take a cut from me as well on the return shipment?" So... I would like to ask, do they? Does anyone know? Any scandinavians that has used CGC?  Is that what the "declared value" thing on each of your cards is all about? Because if they're gonna hold my cards hostage and not give them back before I give them ransom money, It would just be too much for me. It wouldn't make any real sense to get robbed for customs/import fees/tolls, etc for items (my cards) that were bought and sold within Sweden and are already in my possession. But then again, we don't live in a logical world do we.

Grading your cards is extremely expensive in the first place, and the international shipping cost CGC is asking for is outrageous, topping it off with possibly insane customs fees or whatever from your local den of thieves would completely break the backs of small-time collectors such as myself. So I really need to know what the deal is about this before I put in a submission. It just isn't worth to grade your cards if you're going to get robbed of 90% of the value of your cards from grading costs, shipping costs and possibly custom/import fees to top it off.

Related side question to this issue: is there any CGC authorized store here in Europe somewhere I can send my cards in for grading to? That would be ideal of course and solve most of my problems.

15 hours ago, Olof said:

I got very disapointed when I saw the exorbitant shipping cost for international customers (I live in Sweden), 100$ for 1-12 cards. Wow! Horrendous! And that's just the return shipping, I'm gonna have to pay the bandits at my local post office a ridiculous amount as well to ship my cards in the first place naturally (although nowhere near as bad as 100$). And then at the end of it I came to think of another thing: "Wait a minute..... what about those vultures at the customs office, It wouldn't surprise me if those highway brigands would try to take a cut from me as well on the return shipment?" So... I would like to ask, do they? Does anyone know? Any scandinavians that has used CGC?  Is that what the "declared value" thing on each of your cards is all about? Because if they're gonna hold my cards hostage and not give them back before I give them ransom money, It would just be too much for me. It wouldn't make any real sense to get robbed for customs/import fees/tolls, etc for items (my cards) that were bought and sold within Sweden and are already in my possession. But then again, we don't live in a logical world do we.

Grading your cards is extremely expensive in the first place, and the international shipping cost CGC is asking for is outrageous, topping it off with possibly insane customs fees or whatever from your local den of thieves would completely break the backs of small-time collectors such as myself. So I really need to know what the deal is about this before I put in a submission. It just isn't worth to grade your cards if you're going to get robbed of 90% of the value of your cards from grading costs, shipping costs and possibly custom/import fees to top it off.

Related side question to this issue: is there any CGC authorized store here in Europe somewhere I can send my cards in for grading to? That would be ideal of course and solve most of my problems.

Unfortunately, it is mostly out of their control. I doubt they're looking to profit on shipping. International shipping costs are inherently outrageous.

Their international shipping is outrageous.  They charge us Canadians the same.  $100 for 1-12 cards.  It's actually cheaper to have 10 comics graded and shipped back than it is 12 cards...I'm not sure how or why that is but CGC has said it is :sumo: 

image.thumb.png.4069830e37afb9e9bcbd2f4230c50bb8.pngimage.thumb.png.e333f923c7f6a7825e209f9e38b9a393.png

Thanks guys for the responses. I've gotten in contact with the customs office in my country and apparently there seems to be some form I can fill out to dodge the customs fees with the return shipment of the cards, the catch with that of course is that those forms and the hassle you have to go thru to even get that done is just more than I can endure. I just shook my head in the end and decided I don't wanna go thru all of that headache. So I guess my cards will remain ungraded for now. Very sad about that. I've heard rumors however that CGC may get some European branch office in the future, which would be amazing, you guys think there's any truth to this?  I just find it astounding that european collectors doesn't have an easy way to get their cards graded without ending up in the poorhouse.

@Action Comics

Yeah, sending my cards to somewhere in UK would be better as far as the shipping goes I suppose, but with UK and the Brexit thing now, I suppose I would still get charged for customs fees on the return shipping since I guess its outside the EU-tax zone now.

I just can't win it seems. All I wanna do is grade a few of my cards. :(