• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Population Report Tool
3 3

222 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We are still on track for the most part aside from some data cleanup issues. Hopefully will be this month still. If not, should be very early next month. There is a bit of exciting stuff coming before the pop report, then a bit after that is the pop. :) 

Paul

This whole thing is either a giant joke or we're being trolled.

• October 2020 – “Yes, we will have a population report in the future.”
  • December 2020 – “It is a top priority now, so will hopefully be coming soon!”
  • February 2021 – “Still working on it, sorry. It is a lot of programming to create.”
  • March 2021 – “No update, sorry. Still in progress. Will likely be a few months.”
  • May 2021 – “We have the pop report file internally already which includes every card we've graded so far. We are just working on updating the website so that this information is easy to peruse.”
  • June 2021 – “We are still working on this. It is coming, I promise.”
  • July 2021 – “There is no solid date for the pop report. It is coming though, and is actively being worked on.”
  • September 2021 – “It is still being worked on, but progress is definitely being made.
  • October 2021 – “Likely to be early 2022, sorry for the delay!”
  • November 2021 – “Unfortunately it has been delayed a bit, but we are throwing more resources at the project to try to get it launched sooner. Probably looking at early in 2022.”
  • December 2021 – “The next thing on the docket is the CGC Trading Cards Pop Report, which I am told will be done by early February at the latest.”
  • January 2022 – “Unfortunately, the CSG Census was delayed a bit due to some data issues in the database, not with the functionality of the website itself. So the delay of the CSG one should hopefully not affect the CGC TC Census release, which is still planned within the first couple months of this year.
  • January 2022 – “Yes, February is still the goal, although perhaps more like mid to late. We had some issues with CSG data that has delayed that launch, but the CGC data set is smaller and so should be easier to deal with.”
  • February 2022 – “Yes, hopefully within a month! We are just fixing some database issues to make sure everything displays properly and in order.”
  • February 2022 – “Should be by the end of March. There have been unforeseen complications, as there always tend to be, unfortunately.”
  • March 2022 – “Hopefully will be this month still. If not, should be very early next month.”

On 3/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, SayNoToNFCs said:

It seems more like a bunch of entitled people are impatient.

Things take time. Amazing concept, right?

What is the fastest that a new company/division has made a population report available? Do you know?

On 3/23/2022 at 9:57 PM, Lazyboy said:

It seems more like a bunch of entitled people are impatient.

Things take time. Amazing concept, right?

What is the fastest that a new company/division has made a population report available? Do you know?

I'm excited to see the CGC pop report but I think it's fair to be somewhat critical at this point - it's not like the CGC pop report is something they're developing from scratch. The CSG pop report launched over a month and a half ago and aside from requiring a different set of images the CGC version should be otherwise identical.

As for the fastest, I believe HGA had their pop report up and running after just a few months. It's somewhat irrelevant though as both companies have the data available to them, it's just a case of exposing that data for public consumption. CGC haven't been hugely open about why it's taking them so long, but I can only assume there have been a lot of unforeseen infrastructure issues along the way.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:05 PM, SayNoToNFCs said:

• October 2020 – “Yes, we will have a population report in the future.”
  • December 2020 – “It is a top priority now, so will hopefully be coming soon!”
  • February 2021 – “Still working on it, sorry. It is a lot of programming to create.”
  • March 2021 – “No update, sorry. Still in progress. Will likely be a few months.”
  • May 2021 – “We have the pop report file internally already which includes every card we've graded so far. We are just working on updating the website so that this information is easy to peruse.”
  • June 2021 – “We are still working on this. It is coming, I promise.”
  • July 2021 – “There is no solid date for the pop report. It is coming though, and is actively being worked on.”
  • September 2021 – “It is still being worked on, but progress is definitely being made.
  • October 2021 – “Likely to be early 2022, sorry for the delay!”
  • November 2021 – “Unfortunately it has been delayed a bit, but we are throwing more resources at the project to try to get it launched sooner. Probably looking at early in 2022.”
  • December 2021 – “The next thing on the docket is the CGC Trading Cards Pop Report, which I am told will be done by early February at the latest.”
  • January 2022 – “Unfortunately, the CSG Census was delayed a bit due to some data issues in the database, not with the functionality of the website itself. So the delay of the CSG one should hopefully not affect the CGC TC Census release, which is still planned within the first couple months of this year.
  • January 2022 – “Yes, February is still the goal, although perhaps more like mid to late. We had some issues with CSG data that has delayed that launch, but the CGC data set is smaller and so should be easier to deal with.”
  • February 2022 – “Yes, hopefully within a month! We are just fixing some database issues to make sure everything displays properly and in order.”
  • February 2022 – “Should be by the end of March. There have been unforeseen complications, as there always tend to be, unfortunately.”
  • March 2022 – “Hopefully will be this month still. If not, should be very early next month.”

This is actually painfully accurate for those of us who have followed this and asked repeatedly about the progress of it over the past year. Basically every month it's said to be coming within a month or the following month. This has been going on for a long time. The can keeps being kicked down the road, so I actually wouldn't rule out trolling at this point.

There's a rumor going around that CGC is gatekeeping the pop report because they can't publish it until there are actually a few 10s to include in it. :grin:

On 3/25/2022 at 9:45 AM, RoLaren said:

This is actually painfully accurate for those of us who have followed this and asked repeatedly about the progress of it over the past year. Basically every month it's said to be coming within a month or the following month. This has been going on for a long time. The can keeps being kicked down the road, so I actually wouldn't rule out trolling at this point.

There's a rumor going around that CGC is gatekeeping the pop report because they can't publish it until there are actually a few 10s to include in it. :grin:

Its going to be a funny sight when lots of mint non holo WOTC are basically all 8.5s and some 9s with 0 9.5s or 10s.

Bit of a joke. They should have just graded properly from the start and they wouldn't be in this mess.

Like I get they are trying to be BGS with 10s etc but when you dont give gem mint cards a 9.5 only 9s and most 8.5s makes the company look plain silly.

It’s quite apparent that they’ve adjusted their grading standards over the last couple of months and the 10s are flowing more freely. A cynic might wonder if the pop report has been deliberately delayed while they’ve implemented this change… and an early adopter with a bunch of cards graded last year and the year before might a be a tad miffed. 

On 3/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, Alekross said:

Its going to be a funny sight when lots of mint non holo WOTC are basically all 8.5s and some 9s with 0 9.5s or 10s.

Bit of a joke. They should have just graded properly from the start and they wouldn't be in this mess.

Like I get they are trying to be BGS with 10s etc but when you dont give gem mint cards a 9.5 only 9s and most 8.5s makes the company look plain silly.

I just graded a 9.5 holo expedition Mew, so….

On 3/24/2022 at 11:06 PM, Cardsandcoffee said:

It’s quite apparent that they’ve adjusted their grading standards over the last couple of months and the 10s are flowing more freely. A cynic might wonder if the pop report has been deliberately delayed while they’ve implemented this change… and an early adopter with a bunch of cards graded last year and the year before might a be a tad miffed. 

Agreed! I actually have a stack of 9.5s right now I strongly feel need to be regarded at this point.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:09 AM, Bryce Garcia said:

I just graded a 9.5 holo expedition Mew, so….

Nice! A buddy just submitted 100 vintage cards. Managed to get 2 9.5, both on 1st edition Jungle Scythers. One holo and one not. The holo has to be low pop on that with the amount of edge silvering in that set. Was surprised! Rest 9s / 8.5s as expected