• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showtime's DEXTER limited series (TBD)
1 1

117 posts in this topic

John Lithgow is set to reprise his role as the Arthur Mitchell, aka the "Trinity Killer" for Showtime's Dexter revival series.

According to Deadline, Lithgow will make "a short but decisive appearance in the Michael C. Hall-led revival coming from Showtime this fall." What that means, considering that Lithgow's "Trinity Killer" was killed by Dexter Morgan (Hall) in the final episode of Season 4, is anyone's guess. Details are very limited at this time, though whispers suggest that the writers have figured out a way to bring Lithgow's fan-favorite character back into the fold. Lithgow is expected to join the cast and crew of the LA production for one day only.

One thing I thought the show never got entirely right was to create a really great enemy for Dexter.  If Dexter is a twisted Batman, they never found his Joker.

They made some REALLY strong attempts and cast actors I usually like or love including John Lithgow, Ray Stevenson (LOVE LOVE LOVE him as Pullo in Rome), and Jimmy Smits, but none entirely nailed it as a foe.  His brother as the enemy of the first season was probably the best, although Lithgow as an older, more experienced killer was interesting.  I love Clancy Brown, too, but I'm skeptical just based upon somewhat flat previous attempts at a foe for Dexter--but if the story is right he could absolutely be fantastic.  Doakes was probably the best overall adversary, but he was a cop so it's complicated to think of him as an evil character given that Dexter himself is infinitely more evil than Doakes.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

One thing I thought the show never got entirely right was to create a really great enemy for Dexter.  If Dexter is a twisted Batman, they never found his Joker.

They made some REALLY strong attempts and cast actors I usually like or love including John Lithgow, Ray Stevenson (LOVE LOVE LOVE him as Pullo in Rome), and Jimmy Smits, but none entirely nailed it as a foe.  His brother as the enemy of the first season was probably the best, although Lithgow as an older, more experienced killer was interesting.  I love Clancy Brown, too, but I'm skeptical just based upon somewhat flat previous attempts at a foe for Dexter--but if the story is right he could absolutely be fantastic.  Doakes was probably the best overall adversary, but he was a cop so it's complicated to think of him as an evil character given that Dexter himself is infinitely more evil than Doakes.

Have to agree with Ray Stevenson. What a fantastic performance throughout all of Rome.

Doakes as a character was super. :applause:

Also agree with Ray Stevenson on Rome. Hell, that whole show had perfect casting. To me, Dexter's Joker was definitely the Trinity Killer. That's who I immediately think of as his greatest nemesis. That's even coincidentally who he suffered his greatest loss to, who took his Robin, someone who helped ground him. 

It doesn't mean I want him back though. I think season 4 is more powerful standing on its own, although I'm obviously stating this prematurely, and we'll see what they come up with. 

On 6/29/2021 at 7:33 AM, fantastic_four said:

Dexter's brother was definitely his greatest adversary as a killer & Doakes as a cop. If he didn't try to kill Deb, I imagine their relationship growing over the seasons to the point where Dexter would become much more evil that the show portrayed him to be. He didn't know much about his own background at the time & really pieced it together through the seasons.

Hello new inner voice. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

25 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That's what I am assuming. She takes over Harry Morgan's spot in Dexter's mind.

If they bring her back from the dead they've already lost me before it's begun, plus people have said this is what should happen for years if the show returned, so it's no real surprise. 

I was hoping for something a bit meatier, as they know there's a lot we want to know. For a vapid teaser this is fine though.