• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Pokemon Cards the new collectible like comics?
3 3

119 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, CreepingTerror said:

My 9 year old tells me that these guys are Logan and Jake Paul, two goofballs who do crazy things to get YouTube views. So this may be a legit sale but I'm not sure its a "legit" sale if you know what I mean.

I see...  yeah I'm too old for this.  I was just interested hearing them talk about the card grading and using heritage auctions....  Lots of similarities.

33 minutes ago, CreepingTerror said:

My 9 year old tells me that these guys are Logan and Jake Paul, two goofballs who do crazy things to get YouTube views. So this may be a legit sale but I'm not sure its a "legit" sale if you know what I mean.

He opened the box he bought.

I’m 37.  I never got in to Pokémon.  But, since this recent explosion, I’ve found myself getting educated about the basics of the cards at least.  So, in case I ever come across some valuable ones, I can make smart decisions on picking them up or not.  

Hopefully I can find some.  Sell them thangs fast and buy an AF 15! 

44 minutes ago, CreepingTerror said:

Yeah the same insufficiently_thoughtful_person who went into japan and was filming bodies in the suicide forest in 2018 and it made national news. 
Then he put on some boxing show that did way better than it ever deserved to, fighting some other UK youtube rival.  Then he did it again. 
Everything he does is a publicity stunt. I wouldn't take a single thing posted on his youtube as anything other than an attempt to rope in more viewers and attention to himself.

36 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I’m 37.  I never got in to Pokémon.  But, since this recent explosion, I’ve found myself getting educated about the basics of the cards at least.  So, in case I ever come across some valuable ones, I can make smart decisions on picking them up or not.  

Hopefully I can find some.  Sell them thangs fast and buy an AF 15! 

Agreed,  I know nothing about them but if I come across a first edition card for cheap,  I will buy it. 

4 minutes ago, CreepingTerror said:

My boy did say "everyone hates him because he was laughing at dead bodies" :frown:

I just googled this as I hadn’t heard of it before.  I also hadn’t heard of this fool until last week with the Pokémon box.

From the extremely low amount of knowledge I have about who he is, this guy is an absolute garbage person. 

I haven’t seen the video of him in the forest, so I can’t say exactly what was said or what jokes were made, but according to a brief BBC article I just read, there were some sort of jokes and laugher.  They site that he received a ton of backlash, rightfully so.

I don’t know what the intent of going there and filming was.  But as a person who has lost someone very close earlier this year to suicide, I find it disgusting and appalling that he would even go and film.

3 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I just googled this as I hadn’t heard of it before.  I also hadn’t heard of this fool until last week with the Pokémon box.

From the extremely low amount of knowledge I have about who he is, this guy is an absolute garbage person. 

I haven’t seen the video of him in the forest, so I can’t say exactly what was said or what jokes were made, but according to a brief BBC article I just read, there were some sort of jokes and laugher.  They site that he received a ton of backlash, rightfully so.

I don’t know what the intent of going there and filming was.  But as a person who has lost someone very close earlier this year to suicide, I find it disgusting and appalling that he would even go and film.

Agreed. Strange youtubers and tic-toks

On 10/15/2020 at 8:34 AM, ThothAmon said:

I hope so. If there is a healthy Card market it’s a solid bet that the comic book market will remain strong  Plus, by default, I think a few boxes of cards and related ephemera are in my collection!

Here we go... a Rapper just  bought another one of these cards for $180,000... Man I need to find one of these

https://nerdist.com/article/charizard-pokemon-card-auction-logic/

Video games, Pokémon Cards, comic art and comics are all doing very well. 

investors are actually  buying stock in Pokémon cards and Comics. 

To say comics are more popular is on the contrary and vise versa.

All of these listed above have a HUGE market  in there own right. 

I collect Pokémon cards as well and they have exploded!!  Example: I bought a Charizard Base Set  # 4/102, PSA 9 for $600 this past February I believe and it’s now a $3 K + card lol. It’s simply insane...

side note*

Logan Paul’s Pokémon video is the # 1 trending video on YouTube I believe. 

Edited by Crushingame

On 10/15/2020 at 8:28 AM, Wolverinex said:

Number 1 trending video on youtube is some guy picking up a slabbed pokemon card for 100k.  I have no idea who he is but it was really fun watching him pick up his grail.

I don't know much about pokemon cards but the way they talk is very similar to how we collect our keys especially when I watched him on Heritage bidding in the 2nd video (also loved seeing the Frazetta painting in the background) .  

Looks like there is a lot of nostalgia about pokemon cards now because its about the 20 year anniversary...

Just wait for those Yugioh cards- Dark Magician girl MFC 1st edition  is probably the next big bad card to spike hard.

You're quite late to the party.

34 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Many years ago he even said that Pokemon Cards would be one of the "big collectibles" based on that rule.  

And Yu-Gi-Oh. The Rule of 25 is always accurate. 

If anything, the pandemic is accelerating this - prices on everything are spiking. I thought there would be another couple of years on Yu-Gi-Oh but they've already blown up

On 10/15/2020 at 8:28 AM, Wolverinex said:

Just wait for those Yugioh cards- Dark Magician girl MFC 1st edition  is probably the next big bad card to spike hard.

They're already exploding - prices have tripled (quadrupled?) in the past eight months. 

If you want to invest in one - I think it is a great speculative play - make sure absolutely sure that you are getting an MFC-000 one from 2003.

37 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

And Yu-Gi-Oh. The Rule of 25 is always accurate. 

If anything, the pandemic is accelerating this - prices on everything are spiking. I thought there would be another couple of years on Yu-Gi-Oh but they've already blown up

You've been really accurate, my friend.  Where is your original post?  So what's your thoughts next after Yu-Gi Oh?   Not sure if there even is an equivalent anymore...

45 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

They're already exploding - prices have tripled (quadrupled?) in the past eight months. 

If you want to invest in one - I think it is a great speculative play - make sure absolutely sure that you are getting an MFC-000 one from 2003.

Yeah Dark Magician Girl MFC-000 seems to be a huge grail... I was shocked that a unslabbed mint copy sold for $1800 in the last few days on ebay... I remember seeing raws for a hundred bucks...

I will be curious to see if it continues its meteoric rise like that Pokemon grail or will it level off....  I don't think the people who grew up with it have hit their prime earning potential yet, so I was shocked to see it shoot up so fast.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yugioh-Dark-Magician-Girl-MFC-000-1st-Edition-MINT/164429819294?hash=item2648c7ed9e:g:DpcAAOSwIlJffgzg

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Oh I know it's been trending but couldn't believe it would hit 150-180k!

there was a collector who brought his valuable collection to Pawn Stars years ago.. I have a friend who's ebay sales are dominated by Pokemon cards.. real money to be made there.. like selling dollar comics but the returns are bigger.. He spent $700 on a box full of cards at a swap meet that he sold for around $3,000.

Nostalgia :luhv:

I remember the early days of Pokémon coming to the US. The video game and cartoon were instant hits, no doubt.  The craze really began once kids went to their local stores and couldn’t find Pokémon trading cards.

It’s sometime in the second half of 1998 and friends at school told me about this quirky new tv show called Pokémon. I had seen some other US released anime like Sailor Moon and Dragonball, but this was definitely different than anything else I had ever seen. Kids were instantly hooked, whether they liked it or loathed it everybody at school knew what Pokemon was. I was also a video game fan, mostly Nintendo. I had read several positive reviews and the kids at school said the game was awesome. I remember the day I bought the game I didn’t want to put it down. Christmas of 1998 Pikachu was everywhere. And yes there were comics, but from what I remember they only brought about 5 issues over that first year.

Flash forward to quarter 1 of 1999. Pokémon is super popular, and now trading cards have hit the market, but the stores can’t keep them in stock. They were literally selling out overnight or in some instances, before they even hit shelves. The big box stores weren’t getting them, specialty stores were. I was a comic shop regular most of my childhood, so hitting up numerous LCSs in my area was nothing new to me. The LCSs were some of the only places you could find Pokémon, and I know that Pokémon cards helped those shops during a tough time for comics.
The cards were selling out so often that stores even brought in import Japanese cards. These also sold out because they were scarcer and in most cases weren’t released in the US(yet). During the initial first edition release my sister pulled a Charizard from a booster pack. Being a collector who knew about paper collectibles, I urged her to keep it in good condition, because “what if someday...” So into a sleeve and top loader it went.
My parents occasionally setup at a local flea market around that time. I was able to resell doubles and triples in order to complete my sets and buy more cards. I didn’t expect to sell any on my first setup, but came home with a nearly empty binder lol. When the movie came out they gave away “Limited edition” trading cards with ticket purchases. Wizards of the Coast had to pull some sports cards out of production that year because Pokémon cards were selling so much. Pokémon trading card tournaments were happening almost weekly, and Toys R Us gave away limited edition cards and promotional items monthly. 

But like all crazes, Pokémon died down quite a bit in 2002-2003. Big box stores now had the best prices on new cards, and you could find them everywhere. As I got to be a teenager I stopped collecting Pokémon cards, but I’ve always kept a close eye on the franchise. Pokémon kept going strong and as I got out of the initial 151 monsters (now 251? Now 351? 800?!) the tv show, video games, and toys continue sell and now I’m buying cards, games and toys for my own children (thumbsu

Regardless of numerous grownups telling me the cards were worthless, or that I should sell now (2000), I held onto my complete sets and numerous first edition cards. As did my sister, and she graciously put her 1st Edition Charizard into my first wave set.
And now as 30 somethings, here we are pondering whether or not to sell off this shiny piece of paper. The memories of chasing those cards, trading, playing the game, and being with friends and family are timeless.

357BCD46-F313-4E95-B15C-CA1781DD1392.jpeg